Author Topic: Question - Compass  (Read 7418 times)

ukmase

• Veteran Member
Re: Question - Compass
« Reply #30 on: 18:16:29, 13/10/08 »
Are you still here UKm ?  ;D

My god man are still getting lost after all this time  ;D  ;D  ;D (missed you)  :-*

I really should get you out on a nav exercise sometime ?  O0

Hi mate, im still kicking about. Long, long time no see.

The map skills have improved a bit since Langdale, although you wouldnt have thought so at the weekend.

stevieboy378

« Reply #31 on: 19:06:39, 13/10/08 »
I'm beginning to be a bit like that already.  I did Millstone edge, Higger Tor and Stanage Edge (not quite to Stanage end) this Sunday, parking in the middle of nowhere because the main carparks were full to bursting, as was Curbar gap and the middle of Hathersage - people like termites everywhere. 

Thats the Reason I only walk between Monday and Friday . . . . I'm lucky to be able to take days off from working in the week, and boy does it make a difference - Lathkilldale for example is like a motorway at the weekend, yet I walked the length of it one of the days last week, and didn't see a soul, just lots of bootprints in the mud . . .

Also - Most direct route from Eyam over to Mam Tor is probably via Abney Moor and Brough Lane, dropping down into the Hope valley. Problem with it is if you don't want to follow the lane from Sir William Hill round past Camphill Gliding Club you're faced with quite a steep descent and re-ascent in order to tackle Bretton Clough . .  .
"Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals ! . . .
. . . .except the weasels." - Homer Simpson

Steve Wilcox

summitzero

• Veteran Member
« Reply #32 on: 21:56:12, 13/10/08 »
IT has been a longgggggggggg time mate.

I try and never blame myself i like think its the map publishers fault, because they must have made an print error.       ;D
Are we there yet ?   http://walkingforlife.piczo.com

walkinggirluk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #33 on: 23:19:54, 13/10/08 »
OMG..........  where you been hiding.   Done the SUW early this fanbloodytastic.  Will I hope you well mate.     :P :)
peace and tranquillity in the countryside. clean your rubbish up after you  respect it.

clean it bin it

summitzero

• Veteran Member
« Reply #34 on: 16:53:03, 14/10/08 »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D
SUW did you enjoy ????? wierd campsite by the sports centre, just short of Melrose  ;D :-*
Are we there yet ?   http://walkingforlife.piczo.com

walkinggirluk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #35 on: 18:08:45, 14/10/08 »
Excellent really was.........  Melrose was fantastic.  Lauder food was wonderful black bull hotel,  people in Scotland were so ace each and everyone we meet.   Had to say in a cabin at Galashiels  as the campsite was having a refurbish.  No over all really was fantastic great time.
peace and tranquillity in the countryside. clean your rubbish up after you  respect it.

clean it bin it

twiglegs

« Reply #36 on: 18:18:01, 14/10/08 »
I use a Gelert compass that cost me less than a fiver, it does the same as any other compass, ie, tells me which direction i need to go.
On a recent walk on Kinder mine performed exactly the same as my mates Silva, spending 24 quid on one is imho a waste of money.
i would say go with whatever you feel confident with though.

bacon51

« Reply #37 on: 11:57:28, 21/10/08 »
Sounds like you're new to navigating, so make sure you have a strong string on it to enable you to place it round your neck if needed. Why? I was in a "whiteout" once and the only thing between me and dying of hypothermia was my  Silva compass, (no, I didn't wrap it round me.) I hung on to it like grim death thinking, " If I lose this, I'm stuffed."

Silva Exp 4 is excellent.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy