Author Topic: Nevadan here 1st time  (Read 2361 times)

Litehiker

Nevadan here 1st time
« on: 02:06:41, 25/02/19 »
OK, so Outdoors Magic is defunct and I've decided I still need some Brit humor to keep me sane. (Remember, I live in the land of Trump and sanity here is a scarce commodity.)

I'm a geezer in my 70s but still backpacking. In 2017 I backpacked the Grand Canyon, North Rim to South Rim in the customary 4 days. This winter, and for years past I've been backcountry skl camping in Las Vegas' nearby Spring mountains at around 9,500 ft. (3,000 meters?)

Other pursuits are long range shooting competitions (200 to 1,000 yards +), sea kayaking and backpack hunting in northern Nevada.

I'm a retired teacher with 10 years as a Nordic Ski Patroller, XC ski racer in NW Pennsylvania and 6 years as an alpine Patroller in the mountains just outside of Las Vegas. Yes we get snow there. As of now we have a 68" total at the ski area.

Eric B.
« Last Edit: 02:13:26, 25/02/19 by Litehiker »

Pitboot

Re: Nevadan here 1st time
« Reply #1 on: 06:19:17, 25/02/19 »
Welcome to our humble forum.
Please remember that our two peoples are divided by a common language!
Having been to the USA, including Arizona and Montana, I can only envy your outdoor choices, all that real wilderness to get lost in. We are so crowded here that solitude is a rare commodity.

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 08:03:30, 25/02/19 »
Welcome from Liverpool, Litehiker.  Any chance you could get within 1000 yards of your president? ;D

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 09:12:52, 25/02/19 »

Welcome from the Orkney Islands off the north coast of Scotland, Litehiker.

Would love to see some photos and possibly trip reports of your adventures in the States. :)
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 09:27:34, 25/02/19 »
Welcome from Portsmouth. I was out yesterday and walked though a wood, just north of Portsmouth, where its claimed that Gen. Eisenhower was hidden amongst US troops for a few days just before D-Day. I often see people with metal detectors in the area, 70 plus years later and are still  finding shells, bullets and so on.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 10:05:04, 25/02/19 »
Welcome from the Lincolnshire Flatts
Too little, too late, too bad......

Litehiker

« Reply #6 on: 23:14:59, 25/02/19 »
PDSTSP,
You have a wicked sense of humor as I noted in the "section Hike" post. As a former high school history and government teacher I have way too much respect for the Rule of Law to off any politician, no matter how deserving. But maybe if Comrade Trump has enough "Bacon Cheese Burgers" he will have a coronary all on his own. A boy can dream...

Thanks for the welcome guys. I've been to Old Blighty twice. Once just London and the second time, staying in a friend's flat at Blackfriars, I went to theCotswolds and to Ann Hathaway's cottage and other Shakespearian historical sites.

I plan to do a driving vacation in the UK within a year or two if The Boss will agree. She has her own travel agenda as well.

This forum is interesting and you Brits are a bit more enlightened than some of my American forum acquaintances. Those on firearms forums are usually a bit to the right of Louis XIV, politically speaking.  ::)  But most on backpacking forums are, at the least, environmentalists and fairly "Progressive".

Q. "What's the difference between a Good Ol' Boy and a Redneck?

A. The Good Ol' Boy throws his McDonald'a wrappers and beer cans on the floor of his pickup.
The Redneck throws them out the window.

Eric B.
BTW, Richard, coming from the Orkney Islands means you likely have some Viking blood. My dad's father came from Odense, Denmark.

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 05:32:28, 26/02/19 »
Welcome Eric from Aberdeenshire. If you make it to the UK for a driving tour, you might want to consider the North Coast 500. This would give you an introduction to some of Scotland’s best scenery and access to some great hiking.

FTSTTLB

« Reply #8 on: 07:25:08, 26/02/19 »
Welcome from Belgium! (I'm not going to drag politics in the conversation myself as Brussels seems to be a place that is disliked by both your president and quite a few people in the UK  ;) )

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 08:10:04, 26/02/19 »
BTW, Richard, coming from the Orkney Islands means you likely have some Viking blood. My dad's father came from Odense, Denmark.

I'm an incomer to Orkney, Eric, but my family are from the north of England, so quite likely of Danish Viking descent.

Pitboot

« Reply #10 on: 10:48:30, 26/02/19 »
I plan to do a driving vacation in the UK within a year or two if The Boss will agree. She has her own travel agenda as well. (Quote from Litehiker)

Beware Eric. Some years ago a client of our business visited us from Houston , Texas. She flew in to Birmingham and also visited the Shakespeare sites.
 She hired a car, it was a Jaguar XJS, and when she arrived at our place it was minus the wing mirrors.
Her explanation was that our roads were too narrow and the Brits drive too fast (Fair comments)
 "I lost the left one getting on the freeway, and the right one getting off the freeway." She meant the M6.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 11:29:59, 26/02/19 »
Reminds me of a certain Fawlty Towers sketch  :D

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 13:29:01, 26/02/19 »
Welcome Litehiker.

A similar tale is told of a family wishing to visit Windsor Castle; they arrived out side a pub of that name at Weston-super Mare. Lovely outlook over the Severn Estuary however the establishment falls short of the Queen's residence in many respects.

I have friends in California, who express similar views on the 'worthy Trump' ::) .

Fortunately our firearms restrictions seem to have tempered our 'good ol' boys and redneck' eqivalents trigger spasms, even so I do recommend keeping a low profile when veering off the 'Righteous Way'. A practice that helps to improve the continuity of our sometimes spasmodic access network, that was supposed to open up our green and pleasant land to all.
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 19:23:00, 26/02/19 »
(Remember, I live in the land of Trump and sanity here is a scarce commodity.)

Sanity in Brexitland Britain is a scarce commodity too ;)

Sorry I forgot, we don't mention the B word on here  :o

Welcome to the forum  O0
Hate will never win

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 16:57:10, 28/02/19 »
Hi Eric and welcome from the Peak District O0

Tracey :)
***Happiness is only a smile away***

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy