Author Topic: National Trust Membership  (Read 1797 times)

myxpyr

National Trust Membership
« on: 17:12:35, 14/06/20 »
Today's Telegraph carries an item about the National Trust lurching further torwards political correctness: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/06/13/national-trust-hires-consultant-address-history-colonialism/Well. when I go to one of their properties the idea is to admire the old and ancient properties along with their gardens and scenery.
What I don't go for is a brain washing session to tell me about events which suit their increasingly left wing agenda. I am as much aware of the events of the slave trade as the next person. I do not want it rammed down my throat by some woke goon with more A levels in political correctness than common sense. :tickedoff:
Membership cancelled, rant over :tickedoff:

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
Re: National Trust Membership
« Reply #1 on: 17:28:51, 14/06/20 »
Interesting (although you've made a mess of the link!)...  ;)

We joined the National Trust to support their good works and to use some of their car parks. I suspect we won't be renewing our membership.

Walk, Jog, Run : our YouTube video channel.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 17:33:27, 14/06/20 »
Am I bovvered? No.

Stop thread here before it gets silly again.     O0
Solvitur Ambulando

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 17:38:18, 14/06/20 »
I stopped my membership to the NT about 25 years ago when they took over the vast majority of the free car parks along my section of the SWCP.
Should really be MT, for Members Trust.
I don't use emojis, irony is better, you decide

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 17:38:44, 14/06/20 »
The link doesn't work, though as the Telegraph is pay-per-view we wouldn't be able to read the article anyway. I guess you subscribe to the Telegraph myxpyr.

All the NT properties I visit are not only about the house and gardens but there is also information about the people who built them and lived there. Not long ago you would have found out nothing at a NT property about the people who worked in the house rather than those who owned it but now you almost always look in to the lives of the servants, things change. Though I wouldn't say any of it is 'rammed down my throat' not really the NTs style. If you've never looked at the history before then I'm sure you won't notice any difference. If you have been interested in the history but don't want it tainted by uncomfortable truth then that is something else entirely. Saying that someone made a vast amount of money from the slave trade to build a huge house isn't political correctness from a woke goon, it is just fact.
Why does that upset you so much?

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 17:40:04, 14/06/20 »
Stop thread here before it gets silly again.     O0
Sorry ninthace, I posted before I read your post. You are right and I shouldn't rise to it.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 17:58:59, 14/06/20 »
Today's Telegraph carries an item about the National Trust lurching further torwards political correctness: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/06/13/national-trust-hires-consultant-address-history-colonialism/Well. when I go to one of their properties the idea is to admire the old and ancient properties along with their gardens and scenery.
What I don't go for is a brain washing session to tell me about events which suit their increasingly left wing agenda. I am as much aware of the events of the slave trade as the next person. I do not want it rammed down my throat by some woke goon with more A levels in political correctness than common sense. :tickedoff:
Membership cancelled, rant over :tickedoff:

Let's keep politics off the forum, eh?
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 18:26:04, 14/06/20 »

Let's keep politics off the forum, eh?

Good idea Richard!  ::) ;)
Walk, Jog, Run : our YouTube video channel.

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 18:30:26, 14/06/20 »
I'm not sure this is politics, more a discussion of the NT's role.  However I agree that this is only heading in one direction and would be best shut down (and said as someone who mixiepixie would probably describe as a woke goon  ;D )

Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: 19:32:27, 14/06/20 »
Topic locked.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy