Author Topic: Cease and Desist Notice (FTAO those who run their own outdoors websites)  (Read 10049 times)

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
Don't cave in!  :)

The way Harry was first contacted was so disappointing that it must be incredibly hard to step back and try to come to an amicable solution that is reasonably fair all round.

I wouldn’t see Harry completely removing route as “caving in”, rather an act of kindness, a generous gesture.

Pitboot

And don't forget all those fantastic badges and certificates! ::)

tonyk

• Veteran Member
And don't forget all those fantastic badges and certificates! ::)

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Do I get a Ceaseandesisticate?
Solvitur Ambulando

harry_keogh

Well, after further insistence that ALL of my Peak District routes are copied, and still no specifics - I'm going to stop with the correspondance. I hope that he does pass it to a solicitor, I might actually receive a coherent letter then. After being able to get some initial advice from a lawyer, a book publisher, an author, and the local council countryside access team, I'm feeling quite comfortable at the moment.

tonyk

• Veteran Member
Well, after further insistence that ALL of my Peak District routes are copied, and still no specifics - I'm going to stop with the correspondance.
Seems to be a bit of a joker and wind up merchant.This is the only video he has published of his walks.Perhaps it has a hidden message.
 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98cTsXPsjKM

ninthace

• Veteran Member
That would have been 10 mins I didn't get back.  (Insulting remark deleted out of respect for forum rules).
Solvitur Ambulando

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
I've been following this with interest - stick to your guns Harry - I love your blog! 

harry_keogh

I wrote to the UK Copyright Service. They have replied with:
"From your description, I would say that the blog posts, describing your
 own account of the walk and your own photos, would certainly be subject
 to copyright (i.e. you would be the copyright owner as the creator of
 those items).

I do not think there would be anything to protect in the route itself;
 if you were to draw your own map, then naturally your map would be
 subject to copyright; but in your example only the overlaid route would
 be your own creation (and not likely to be unique)."

Pitboot

That would have been 10 mins I didn't get back.  (Insulting remark deleted out of respect for forum rules).

With the fast forward facility you can get the gist in about 15 seconds. Mind you it's still 15 seconds wasted.

ninthace

• Veteran Member

With the fast forward facility you can get the gist in about 15 seconds. Mind you it's still 15 seconds wasted.
I thought the ending was the best bit, in that it ended.
Solvitur Ambulando

Andies

• Veteran Member
I have also been following this thread with great interest and can no longer resist saying something, albeit I cannot reasonably say here what I really think as he might sue me  :D

Like others, I have been walking most of my life and I had never heard of him.

The links previously provided to the websites for his walking and ministry should IMO tell anyone exactly what this man is about. Spend a few minutes and come to your own conclusion.

I am at a loss to understand how someone can find the time to walk an average of over 80 miles a week for the past 50 years, write hundreds of books, and conduct all his ministry work; aside from all the other things he does. A truly remarkable man.

Who on earth buys all those badges, and what's this fascination with counting boots and socks  ::)

Stand firm Harry.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Don't give in to bullies, Harry - stand firm.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
Don't give in to bullies, Harry - stand firm.

There’s really no (sensible) alternative. The other guy’s position is so unreasonable, that I don’t see how any one could help him in this particular instance.

The sad thing is that I have fond memories of the other guys’s books...I bought a reasonable number many years ago, when I first started walking parts of the Peak District.

I think I can safely admit that. Unlike Harry I’m way too lazy to post thoughts on walking routes....

vghikers

• Veteran Member
The sad thing is that I have fond memories of the other guys’s books...I bought a reasonable number many years ago, when I first started walking parts of the Peak District.

Same here, back in the 1990s, very basic and spartan books. He's an incredibly prolific walker and has an odd walking trait, it is said: he walks long days, even in a summer heatwave, without drinking any fluids at all, with no ill effects or performance deterioration.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy