Author Topic: I've just bought some new inserts!  (Read 1056 times)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
I've just bought some new inserts!
« on: 13:40:45, 03/10/19 »
A Forum member recently identified some 'unusual' boot inserts, which are designed to tilt the feet to avoid pronation or supination problems. They are branded as Rehband QD insoles, I decided to buy a pair and they arrived this morning. I've already put them in my boots, they will raise the outer edge of my feet by about 1/4" and I've placed my Sorbothane inserts on top of them. I can't try them out today but I plan to do so tomorrow. They cost £20, free postage from healthandcare.co.uk.

Up until now, I've made my own from old trainer inserts, it will be interesting if I notice any real difference or not?

vghikers

• Veteran Member
Re: I've just bought some new inserts!
« Reply #1 on: 14:33:59, 03/10/19 »
...they will raise the outer edge of my feet by about 1/4"...

Underpronation - that's unusual, was it professionally diagnosed?. You may well have mentioned it before, I can't remember.

I've placed my Sorbothane inserts on top of them

It's curious how many walkers seem to rate Sorbothane, being a shock absorber it's of far more value to runners where every step makes a big impact under full weight.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 16:13:34, 03/10/19 »
The double strike ones are aimed at walkers, I've used them for years and they've certainly helped me.

https://sorbothane.co.uk/product/double-strike/
Where there's a will ...

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 17:09:02, 03/10/19 »
I'm a runner and I am not keen on using Sorbothanes, I prefer the harder Superfeet support type inserts. I like Sorbothane's for hiking.

One of the reasons I became interested in the Rehband QD inserts is that I can now use then as a template for when I cut future pairs of old trainers inserts.

As regards my efforts to correct the wear on the outer edges on my shoes and boots, no, not done professionally, done by me by trial and error. We live in the Brexit age, experts and professionals are so old news!   ;D

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 17:43:33, 03/10/19 »
I too wear down my shoes on the outside edge, particularly on my right foot. This may be due to old injuries , that have left me with some ankle weakness and in latter years a tendency to tendonitis.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 18:28:48, 03/10/19 »
As I may have written before, cut an old trainer insert long ways and fit it in your shoes or boots on the wearing edge, it could help you as it helps me. If you want a full-size template drawing of my Rehband QD inserts (more sophisticated than just guessing where to cut) I'm more than happy to send one to you.

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 19:44:28, 03/10/19 »
@gunwharfman

I'm glad you have decided to become the forum guinea pig to test these out. I hope they work for you and look forward to you updating this thread with your findings after you've given them a thorough test.  ;)

Here's the original post where the Rehband QD Pronation and Supination Foot Wedge Insoles were first mentioned http://www.walkingforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=39089.msg556276#msg556276

Based on the replies in that previous thread uneven sole wear appears to be a common issue although hardly any seemed to see it as a problem worth taking action or spending money to correct.

Surely just cutting an old trainer insole down the middle does not get the necessary tapered angle across the width of them which I think is probably the crucial thing to properly correct either condition?

Questions I would ask are
a) Is your overall comfort improved by using them?
b) Does using them even out the wear pattern across the soles of your boots?
c) Do you find the soles of your boots now last longer than previously so you need to replace your boots less often?

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 20:22:09, 03/10/19 »
Surely just cutting an old trainer insole down the middle does not get the necessary tapered angle across the width of them which I think is probably the crucial thing to properly correct either condition?

Agreed, lifting up one end is not quite the same as an even taper across the width. That could be important when dealing with micro-movements in the heel area.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 14:20:42, 04/10/19 »
My Heath Robinson way of cutting a trainer insole down the middle is not perfect, I know this and would not pretend otherwise.

Depending on the thickness of the insole it could be that if you tried the idea you will feel the insert trainer edge as you walk, in my experience, however, it won't be for long, the edge tends to flatten out over time and because I wear my Sorbothane's over the top I don't feel the edges anyway. I might do if I wore a thin insole over the top? If I use a thicker half insole I usually trim the edge with a Stanley knife. What I have never worked out accurately is, how much additional height do I actually need to make my feet walk neutrally? The 1/4" of the Rehband's height I suspect is the same as most half insoles? I've guessed and for me, my feet feel OK even on a long day's walk. The only pair of boots that I have which shows that my half insole idea works for me is my cheap pair from Decathlon. I walked for two weeks in the Pyrenees last year, with half insoles in, plus my Sorbothane's and the sole wear is very even right across the boot.

I've actually worked my way through a few half insoles trying to find the best one for me and I'm hoping that by spring next year my new Berghaus boots will show that they are wearing evenly. If not I would have wasted my time.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy