Author Topic: Heavy boots  (Read 678 times)

Davon

Heavy boots
« on: 21:01:47, 25/02/18 »
Just done a walk in Lakes . No longer than normal 20k ish . However I was wearing Scarpa mountain boots ( no snow just frozen ground ), and either I was out of condition or mountain boots take more effort . Just wondered what people think and at what stage people resort to heavier boots

Gadabout Bounder

Re: Heavy boots
« Reply #1 on: 22:01:08, 25/02/18 »
I was in Ambleside and on the Fairfield Horseshoe in mid January wearing my Scarpa 4 season boots for the 1st time in 12 months - they are definitely more work on the 1st day.

I was ok on day 2 but you've got a virtually rigid sole (crampon compatible) and additional weight so they hold your foot so tightly and differently, with no flex so against how you would walk in 3 season boots.

I happily put up with the difficult 1st day to know I can get crampons on when needed.
'We've spilt the same blood in the same mud'

Deerplay

Re: Heavy boots
« Reply #2 on: 23:18:33, 25/02/18 »
There's always a trade off when it comes to boots that can take crampons properly (i.e. heavier and less flexible boots). Depends on what you need and or are expecting really as to your choice of footwear. Don't think any modern boots are as awkward as the plastic Trezeta boots and step in crampons that I used to go to the Alps with in the 80's. We used to manage though.
Will this wind be so mighty as to lay low the mountains of the Earth?

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy