Author Topic: Introducing myself  (Read 2173 times)

Hereford123

Introducing myself
« on: 16:36:08, 26/09/20 »
I found this forum by accident (researching why I can no longer buy Beanfeast!) and it looks right up my husband's street.  He is a very keen medium to long distance "serious walker" along with some of his friends.  Although it's not something I engage in, being in my late 60s and not too energetic these days, I thought it would be a nice place to find out about places they can plan to do together.  He is 74 but very active, puts me to shame.  He isn't very keen on technology though, but I am trying to get him to register here too.

Looks like a great place to exchange ideas and reports, and just to browse what everyone is doing and find new places to explore.  I like to take the train and meet up  with them in hotels along their route, although most of their serious trips have been camping, which is not for me.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Re: Introducing myself
« Reply #1 on: 17:37:42, 26/09/20 »
Welcome from Portsmouth. I'm 75 and I too like to think I am still very active.

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 18:02:40, 26/09/20 »
Welcome from Aberdeenshire

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 18:29:55, 26/09/20 »
Welcome from the Sussex coast    :)

cornwallcoastpathdweller

« Reply #4 on: 19:57:07, 26/09/20 »
And the same from the north Cornish Coast.  Lots of nice people and great advice on here :)
one step then another then another then a bench - please?

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 21:18:54, 26/09/20 »
Welcome from Devon.  I am also on the wrong side of 70.  I used to walk solo but a few years ago my wife decided I was not to be trusted on my own and now comes with me so there is hope for you yet.  We tend to do day or half days whenever the weather permits - ideally finishing at a pub.  Since the pandemic we usually (but not always) give the pub a miss and head straight home but it is not the same without a well deserved glass of something thirst quenching and perhaps a restorative repast.  :(
Solvitur Ambulando

Zizag

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 22:06:30, 26/09/20 »
Greetings from North Cheshire

windyrigg

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 07:57:36, 27/09/20 »
Welcome from Northumberland :)

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 09:36:06, 27/09/20 »

Welcome to the forum from the southern edge of the Lake District. Hope that you manage to persuade your husband to join.  :)
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 12:55:34, 27/09/20 »
Welcome from Shropshire. Had much fun in Herefordshire both as a farmer and walker. I wonder if your husband has noticed anything about your home county that compromises his long distance walking. It is something that Shropshire and Herefordshire has in common, lostways in strategically important places. Always welcome any one willing to explore and gossip about such insignificant drolleries  ;) :)
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

Hereford123

« Reply #10 on: 12:59:13, 27/09/20 »
Thank you everyone for the welcomes.  Seems like a great group on here.

I am intrigued by the last post about Herefordshire and Shropshire - please do enlighten me!

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 14:39:27, 27/09/20 »
In the early weeks of lockdown the Ramblers Association organized an interactive survey of old footpaths that did not get put onto the Definitive Map and therefore be part of the Access Network we use for our leisure. I am not a rambler, but have taken a keen interest in how these old ways might be of use to the way walking is developing today.
To go into detail would be very lengthy as I have been posting here for many years. I am delighted at your response and doubly welcome, there are many who talk about lostways, yet few are prepared to talk about the positive benefits they could yield. Shropshire is the largest inland county and together with Herefordshire occupies the approach to the Welsh border for the full length of the Cambrian Mountains. There are some very interesting routes that could be suggested and the ideas of how local terrain could be explored.

Sadly both counties have Local Government that cannot see beyond the polished brogues of their landowner councillors. Apart from that the fun side is getting out and exploring, I do have a few years on your husband, slightly slower than I used to be so my transgressions are fewer. I would love to hear of the view from the top of Garnon's Hill, I once stayed with an elderly relative in Bishopstone without realizing how close I was. Just so much untrodden ground in both our counties.
BWW

Hereford123

« Reply #12 on: 20:23:59, 27/09/20 »
Thank you, that is most interesting.  They walked the whole of Offa's Dyke in stages a couple of years ago, not sure how much of that, if any, involves the terrain you refer to.  I feel a bit of a fraud being on here as the walking is all his business, he's the map expert (I struggle with them  :-[ ) but I do take an interest in his plans.  They were supposed to be doing the South Downs Way back in May, we even had the train tickets bought and hotel booked in Eastbourne for their last night, but of course that all got cancelled.

Just getting used to the layout on here - I take it there's no way to quote a post, or if there is I haven't found it yet.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 20:38:28, 27/09/20 »
Just getting used to the layout on here - I take it there's no way to quote a post, or if there is I haven't found it yet.
Various ways of doing it but the easiest way is to log in, click quote in the top right of the post in question and it will open a reply window with the quote in place.
Solvitur Ambulando

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 20:40:14, 27/09/20 »
Don't worry very few people know about the bit of OD on Garnon's Hill. Perhaps you know something your husband did not know.
BWW

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy