Author Topic: Best hill for the least effort?  (Read 1220 times)

humansnail

Best hill for the least effort?
« on: 20:03:03, 08/03/19 »
What hills do you think provide the best views/most fun for the least effort in the lakes? I've never really given this much thought before as if I'm spending a few hours driving to the lakes and back I always feel that I should have done more walking if my legs are not aching during the drive home and throughout the next day! ;D

I was thinking of rannerdale knotts, loughrigg fell, dale head from honnister, hallin fell, knott rigg and helm crag.

Slowcoach

• Veteran Member
Re: Best hill for the least effort?
« Reply #1 on: 20:22:09, 08/03/19 »
Latrigg, Castle Crag, Pike o’ Blisco and Wansfell Pike spring to mind.
It's all uphill from here.

Hillhiker1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 21:00:44, 08/03/19 »
Latrigg is an absolute doddle from the car park at NY 280254; literally a walk in the park.

Silver How from Grasmere - pretty straightforward, about 3 miles ish with a superb view from the summit.

MarkT

« Reply #3 on: 22:14:53, 08/03/19 »
Fleethwith Pike from Honnister Slate Mine. Starts from a high point, great view from the summit cairn overlooking Buttermere. Two tarns to explore and a Bothy. And if you feel fit enough, you can walk over to Haystacks.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 23:28:41, 08/03/19 »
Rannerdale Knotts I always think is the most effort for the least return.
Glenridding Dodd has great views for a small hill.

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 01:20:15, 09/03/19 »
Harter Fell (Eskdale) provides a glorious grandstand to view almost all the great ranges from. With a modest height and plenty of approach options then countless opportunities for scrambling around the summit rocks (if you feel that way inclined) - which couple as shelter from prevailing winds: Is one of my favourites.
I also like Rannerdale (mentioned by others) - which if you fancy that, possibly worth timing it to coincide with the bluebells coming into bloom as they are spectacular and not to be missed.
Only a hill but all of life to me, up there between the sunset and the sea. 
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

andybr

« Reply #6 on: 12:07:07, 09/03/19 »
Stickle Pike from Kiln Bank for a short (if steep) jaunt to a stunning summit. With a bit more time the whole "Knotts and Stickles" circuit from Broughton Mills is one of the best walks in the Lake District.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 12:44:36, 09/03/19 »
My vote would be for Catbells, a lovely little hill.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

humansnail

« Reply #8 on: 14:00:44, 09/03/19 »

Thanks for the great suggestions, I really will have to do latrigg when passing through kewsick on the way home one day...…….I've been thinking that for years! ;D

Harter fell
Castle crag
Wansfell pike
Silver how      are all added to my list!

The stickle pike suggestion also looks great, that would be a new area for me, looks lovely.

Re Catbells, I was going to mention that one in my original post but on the two or three times I've been it has always been absolutely swarming with people. That of course is my fault for picking a daft time to go, I can't blame the hill for being popular! I must make a point of getting there extremely early one day.

jimmy mac

« Reply #9 on: 15:23:17, 09/03/19 »
loughrigg fell what views you get from up there O0
........UTRINQUE PARATUS..........

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy