Author Topic: Unpacking My Rucksack - anyone else done it yet?  (Read 1748 times)

Lee in Doncaster

• Veteran Member
Walking every week in the Peak District...or somewhere else   http://peakwalking.blogspot.com

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
Re: Unpacking My Rucksack - anyone else done it yet?
« Reply #1 on: 16:24:06, 25/03/20 »
Sad. I haven't plucked up courage to do that yet.

Slowcoach

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 16:26:24, 25/03/20 »
On my list for tomorrow. Boots cleaned and waxed and now in the garage.
It's all uphill from here.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 16:44:24, 25/03/20 »
Yes done mine, I keep it all in the garage, I have a wardrobe in there for clothes and a large lidded box for tents and so on. I washed my down sleeping quilt a few days ago, its now dry and amazingly it looks like new! Winterboots already store, summer boots just keep staring at me!

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 17:01:13, 25/03/20 »
I can just imagine all the things mouldering away in the OP's rucksack  :(

After a day walk every single thing I wore gets washed and dried the next day, although I must admit I keep forgetting day after day to clean the mud off my boots.

With backpacking my stuff has to wait while I enjoy three or so days on a campsite before I return home, but I do hang my invariably wet little tent and my waterproofs out to dry on anything I can such as fences, tree branches, car or big tent, while my boots partially dry in the tent 'living area'.
I value all of my equipment so highly that the day after I am home everything is washed or cleaned and put away for the next trip  :angel:

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 17:10:42, 25/03/20 »
I value all of my equipment so highly that the day after I am home everything is washed or cleaned and put away for the next trip

Basically the same here, everything is unpacked and stored away after every trip. Most things don't need cleaning though, only clothes, footwear and a few odd bits like utensils if we've used them.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 17:35:45, 25/03/20 »
My day pack used to live in the kitchen, packed for two and pretty well ready to go, only the type of waterproof changed.  It got cleared out the other day looking for a bottle of hand sanitiser, found a forgotten spare bottle so it was worth it.  Our boots are still in use, pro tem.
Solvitur Ambulando

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 18:30:52, 25/03/20 »
There be dragons.
I don't use emojis, irony is better, you decide

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 19:17:24, 25/03/20 »
There be dragons.
Darwin would have got a paper out of it, if not an entire chapter for On the Origin of Species.
Solvitur Ambulando

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 20:37:53, 25/03/20 »
Well you're still allowed out for exercise, mine will be my normal 9 or so miles  O0
Where there's a will ...

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 21:55:00, 25/03/20 »
I'm still getting out for a walk every day too. My psychological/mental health depends on it!
Haven't used my rucksack for ages to be honest. I'm managing with a Lowe Alpine waist belt these days.
Better for my back! O0
***Happiness is only a smile away***

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 08:05:58, 26/03/20 »
I'm still getting out for a walk every day too. My psychological/mental health depends on it!
Haven't used my rucksack for ages to be honest. I'm managing with a Lowe Alpine waist belt these days.
Better for my back! O0

I have a large Lowe Alpine hip belt, about 7 litres capacity, that I have had for decades. Wonderful bit of kit, although showing it's age now.

I am getting out for a 4-5 mile walk every day with the dog, which is the average that I normally did prior to lockdown. I'm very fortunate in having some delightful countryside right on my doorstep, criss-crossed by a network of paths and minor lanes. I do feel for those stuck in cities.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 08:07:13, 26/03/20 »
As for unpacking my rucksack - something I do regularly anyway, - except for a small pocket low down on the back, containing compass, whistle and first aid kit. They can stay.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Lee in Doncaster

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 08:27:59, 26/03/20 »
As for unpacking my rucksack - something I do regularly anyway, - except for a small pocket low down on the back, containing compass, whistle and first aid kit. They can stay.

Hello Richard:

I've no use for my compass and whistle at the moment so they can stay in the rucksack, but I think I might be using the first aid supplies - the paracetamol tablets will come in handy.
Walking every week in the Peak District...or somewhere else   http://peakwalking.blogspot.com

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 10:03:02, 26/03/20 »
As with several others - boots washed/waxed and most of the backpack unpacked after each walk and repacked with essentials ready for the next outing. But..............at the bottom is my emergency rations bag. Forms of life as yet undiscovered by science may be lurking there.

Saving this for the inevitable rainy day - along with all the other indoor jobs.
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy