Author Topic: Pennine way accommodation  (Read 1945 times)

emdaw

Pennine way accommodation
« on: 18:30:46, 23/02/20 »
Am looking for recommendations for accommodation in Hawes, Middleton in Teesdale and Alston. Prefer pubs/hotels/B&B. Also any to a avoid, thanks in advance for your input. Just planning PW for July if we can get accommodation sorted.  O0

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
Re: Pennine way accommodation
« Reply #1 on: 18:55:09, 23/02/20 »
In Hawes we stayed at Spring Bank, one of the best on the walk, not cheap though. We turned up early, extremely wet and muddy having just put our heads down and kept going on the wettest day. They didn’t blink, took our wet things to dry, gave us tea and cake.

In Alston we stayed in an apartment on the square for 2 nights as we had a rest day there. Town View. They supplied breakfast and I think you could stay just one night. Again we were very wet and late having come over Cross Fell from Dufton. It was very smart and comfortable and I felt guilty hanging all our wet clothes around the place!

We didn't stay at Middleton but further on at Langdale Beck Hotel, slightly off route. This is quite remote but does meals. At the time it could do with a bit of an update but that was possibly it’s charm. It was clean anyway.

I would happily stay at all of the above again.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 19:38:48, 23/02/20 »
I camp but I've noticed a few times that there are little wooden pods on some sites. I've often fancied staying in one of those but as yet have not done so. What I have done a couple of times though in really bad weather is to just pick up my tent as one unit and place it on pods (or empty mobile homes) that have a veranda. Like moving to a palace sometimes, especially when getting up in the morning! Standing on boards rather than wet grass, luxury!

jimbob

• Veteran Member
Re: Pennine way accommodation 7 I
« Reply #3 on: 19:40:32, 23/02/20 »
Oooh whereabouts were they, I never noticed them when I last did the PW.
Too little, too late, too bad......

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 19:52:52, 23/02/20 »
We stayed in a pod on the last night of our Hadrians Wall walk as the B&B on the same site was full. I think it cost about the same though.  I recall we were a bit miffed as we arrived about ten minutes after their tea room closed and they said we could only have tea and cake if we were in the B&b, so we went to the pub and had a coke and Mars bar!

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 20:00:57, 23/02/20 »
Was that site near the Once Brewed pub?

Sorry, I gave the wrong impression, I've seen pods in the Lakes and on the West Highland Way and in France, not sure if I ever saw one on the Pennine way?

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 22:42:50, 23/02/20 »
No it was in Bowness on Solway

emdaw

« Reply #7 on: 09:03:28, 24/02/20 »
In Hawes we stayed at Spring Bank, one of the best on the walk, not cheap though. We turned up early, extremely wet and muddy having just put our heads down and kept going on the wettest day. They didn’t blink, took our wet things to dry, gave us tea and cake.

In Alston we stayed in an apartment on the square for 2 nights as we had a rest day there. Town View. They supplied breakfast and I think you could stay just one night. Again we were very wet and late having come over Cross Fell from Dufton. It was very smart and comfortable and I felt guilty hanging all our wet clothes around the place!

We didn't stay at Middleton but further on at Langdale Beck Hotel, slightly off route. This is quite remote but does meals. At the time it could do with a bit of an update but that was possibly it’s charm. It was clean anyway.

I would happily stay at all of the above again.
Thanks rural roamer for the suggestions, very useful  O0

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 09:13:20, 24/02/20 »
Hawes I can recommend the Board Inn, great pub with lovely rooms.  Middleton I used the Fox and Hounds, it's off route but they do a free pick up and drop off.  Alston I've stayed twice at Lowbyer Manor, great the first trip but new owners put the price up and 'updated it', wouldn't go back!
Where there's a will ...

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 09:36:47, 24/02/20 »
The pub at langdale beck is fine, as us the Youth Hostel. Middleton has no shortage of bnbs and good hotels, at varying prices. I believe Garrigill still has a hostel of sorts and the Post office bnb. The larger bnb (St John's I think) has shut shop.

The place that I found lacking was Dufton not many rooms available
, and going forward to my next trip Ponden seems to have suffered from recent closures.
Too little, too late, too bad......

emdaw

« Reply #10 on: 19:14:19, 25/02/20 »
Thanks all for recommendations just in process of starting to book  :-\

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 21:54:14, 25/02/20 »
Middleton I used the Fox and Hounds, it's off route but they do a free pick up and drop off. 

Do you mean the Fox and Hounds at Cotherstone? We stayed there, pick up near Clove Lodge.

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 21:57:20, 25/02/20 »
The place that I found lacking was Dufton not many rooms available
, and going forward to my next trip Ponden seems to have suffered from recent closures.

And everyone will want to stay at Dufton with the long trek over Cross Fell the next day.
Is that Ponden House? I think when we stayed there in 2016 the owner was ready to sell up then.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 07:20:03, 26/02/20 »

Do you mean the Fox and Hounds at Cotherstone? We stayed there, pick up near Clove Lodge.

Yep, they picked me up from Middleton.
Where there's a will ...

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy