Author Topic: Winter on the way  (Read 6920 times)

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Re: Winter on the way
« Reply #30 on: 08:29:01, 31/12/20 »
Sprinkling of snow here in Grange over Sands this morning. Looking forward to a wander over Hampsfell with the dog....
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #31 on: 09:39:18, 31/12/20 »
Thick frost here, not seen the like for years.
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #32 on: 10:53:55, 31/12/20 »
Snow, ice, more snow and now rain. The snow and ice will be gone soon.

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
« Reply #33 on: 13:16:47, 31/12/20 »
Looking like a week of snow and ice on the fells for Cumbria.  Definitely getting the crampons out once the New Year festivities have come to a close, it's long overdue and hopefully a bit of glorious fresh air will help raise the spirits.

Spellbinder

« Reply #34 on: 13:48:53, 31/12/20 »
Looking forward to getting out in the Shropshire hills tomorrow..Snow on the tops at least

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #35 on: 18:43:23, 31/12/20 »
I went out on Dart moor yesterday evening and it was freezing cold and not much Snow.  Woke up this morning and clearly several inches fell overnight.  Just about got the car into the carpark at the Dartmoor Inn, I was skidding backwards and four lads give my little car a shove the last few meters up the slope.  O0 

Dozens of people in the car park and on Brat tor. But once away from the usual tors, there was know one out just mile upon mile of virgin snow, with hardly a breath of wind making it feel rather warm in the sun shine. I spent several hours just wandering and enjoying the winter wonderland, until it started to go dark and I headed back to the car.   
A few heavy snow showers came in during the day and visibility was down to a few yards at times, for extended periods.  Happily I had taken my old Phone with me, that has no SIM in it, so has never updated the OS App.  That one still has all my maps loaded and works perfectly.  Unlike the latest version on my current phone that won't work without a phone data signal. Progress ay ::)

Best of all whist stopped for my last cuppa tea, at Hare tor, I decided there was time to build a small snowman.  I'm assured snowmen are Covid safe.  ;) 

A few pics from my Phone.

Chat Tor, With Great Links left and The Dunna goats Right.  Five mins earlier you couldn't see it from here.

Hare Tor, with the next load of snow about to arrive from the right.

So I legged it for the cover of Sharp Tor near by and made a new friend.  While the snow blew through.

« Last Edit: 21:03:55, 31/12/20 by BuzyG »

Skip

• Veteran Member
« Reply #36 on: 19:33:46, 31/12/20 »
Very good, is that you?

Lord no! I'm twice as old as that and much uglier  :)
Skip

Toxicbunny

« Reply #37 on: 18:33:15, 01/01/21 »
Only frost and a slight sprinkle of snow so far for me up North.  I'm praying for snow. My sleds in garage and I have two huskies. Once the snow comes im out in it. The beast from the east was the best year. The dogs love it im hoping for a decent layer.

lostme1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #38 on: 17:31:35, 02/01/21 »
Lord no! I'm twice as old as that and much uglier  :)
Can I ask for an introduction to the young, handsome man in the photo  :)
These boots are made for walking.... so long as the rest of my body agrees

Ray-S

« Reply #39 on: 19:25:00, 02/01/21 »
Set off from Penrith this morning with eldest daughter and her husband. Intention was to do Helm Crag and another 3 Wainwrights on the route but the blizzard on the way towards Keswick and the sky to the south when it cleared changed our minds. Ended going up Catbells which was ok and got the chance to try my new crampons ( the ones which fit onto your boots, £16 so wasn't expecting much ) on the way down the other side. Turned out they were brilliant and money well spent. Pleasant walk in sunny conditions and with hindsight we could probably have managed our planned walk but can do that another day.  Heated gloves are next on the to buy list.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #40 on: 20:49:38, 02/01/21 »
Ray, that sounds very like my walk today.  I set off up Yes tor, thinking I might push for a full day and head into Fur tor, Lovely day though forecast to change at 1pm. A 16mile round trip in the snow would be nice I thought.  By great Kneeset it was clear conditions were not the solid frozen ground they had been on Thursday's walk.  So watching the weather coming in, I turned around and reversed my route back to the car.  Very happy I had my micro spikes on coming back down Yes tor I was romping passed the youngsters slipping and sliding around on the damp snow and clitter.  O0

Ray-S

« Reply #41 on: 21:27:32, 02/01/21 »
BuxyG.  The weather forecast was for snow in the east but clear, dry and sunny in the west so it was a bit of a shock when the big flakes came down at about 9am. I think we made the right choice to change our plans and can do Helm Crag another day. Could see people on the top of Skiddaw and Blencathra where the snow looked like it could be quite deep.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #42 on: 12:29:44, 30/01/21 »
The forecast is showing another cold spell for the he SW next weekend.  Might yet get to build a Snowman in the the garden.  :)

Anything would be better than the weather here this weekend.  :-X

windyrigg

• Veteran Member
« Reply #43 on: 15:12:47, 30/01/21 »
Fresh and frosty here in Northumberland this morning. An excellent walk near Rothley Crags with a short snow shower, much preferred to last weeks mud.

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #44 on: 18:33:19, 31/01/21 »
I recorded a temperature of -9C on top of Diffwys, this afternoon.
The ground was set like concrete, but thankfully little wind, and a light dusting of snow on the summit of Moelfre.

Billerly cold though, here in Dyffryn, and i am on the coast, heaven knows how cold it must be further inland

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy