Author Topic: TR Carlisle to Sourmilk Bridge and back again Sun 3 Mar 19  (Read 2510 times)

April

• Veteran Member
The wind was quite strong again on Sunday and a bleak forecast for the afternoon with heavy rain due. We did a there and back again walk from Carlisle westward on the Hadrian's Wall path to Sourmilk Bridge then return to Carlisle.

The Wind in the Willows

I stole this line from Beefy. Or it may have been someone else's first ;)

The River Eden

We were mostly sheltered from the wind but now and again we were blasted by it.

There are a few ups and downs over footbridges on the path

Approaching the village of Grinsdale

We managed to find shelter from the wind behind a hedgerow for our lunch near Sourmilk Bridge and sitting in the sun. Much nicer than yesterday's lunch.

The view from our lunch spot

We then retraced our steps along the path, on the ups and downs over the footbridges

Footbridge one

Footbridge two

Footbridge 3

Footbridge 4

Daffodils in Bitts Park

Our route was Carlisle Bus Station - Bitts Park - Hadrian's Wall path westward - Grinsdale - Sourmilk Bridge - Grinsdale - Bitts Park - Carlisle Bus Station 13.7km with approx 100m ascent. A good leg stretch and we got home before the rain came.     
Hate will never win

beefy

• Veteran Member
The wind was in more than the willows  :D
Nice pics again Ape O0
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

Ridge

• Veteran Member
Nice pics again.  O0
I had to trace that route on the map too.

You had much better weather than we did last weekend.

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
Looks a pretty walk April     :)    I love riverside walking

April

• Veteran Member
Thanks beefy, Ridge and Dovegirl  :)

We seemed to have worse weather before Freya arrived  :-\ We did get a bit of snow and rain on Sunday night though. The tops were white with snow on Monday morning.
Hate will never win

vghikers

• Veteran Member
That's an attractive section of the trail, a surprisingly good ramble. A good spot to terminate the walk at the moment too, there's a trail diversion along the road just beyond.

April

• Veteran Member
A good spot to terminate the walk at the moment too, there's a trail diversion along the road just beyond.

I think that part of the trail has been closed for quite a while if you mean the bit in between Kirkandrews-on-Eden and Beaumont. I have never walked the original section along side the river  :(
Hate will never win

pleb

• Veteran Member
Nice, I was there about 3 Thursdays ago. Is there a path down by the river, when you get to the old power station site and the bridge beyond? Looked like it, suppose its "unofficial".
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

April

• Veteran Member
Is there a path down by the river, when you get to the old power station site and the bridge beyond? Looked like it, suppose its "unofficial".

:-\ If you mean the old Willowholme power station westward from Bitts Park on the riverside path, that is the Hadrian's Wall path so it would be "official"  :D

You may mean somewhere else of course  :-\
Hate will never win

pleb

• Veteran Member
:-\ If you mean the old Willowholme power station westward from Bitts Park on the riverside path, that is the Hadrian's Wall path so it would be "official"  :D

You may mean somewhere else of course  :-\
Approx above "The Cumberland Infirmary" on bing maps. go west by river, seems to be an unofficial path right down by the river. Also a bench down there.

April

• Veteran Member
Approx above "The Cumberland Infirmary" on bing maps. go west by river, seems to be an unofficial path right down by the river. Also a bench down there.

Here is the OS map.

There is a right of way between the hospital and power station. Do you mean this one? Never walked on it before, I always start from Bitts Park and behind the Sheepmount stadium.

There is a wooded area with a green picnic bench in with a few paths there but the path next to river is the Hadrians Wall Path. I've not noticed another path but it is possible I've not seen it!
Hate will never win

pleb

• Veteran Member
No april; I mean by the RIVER. :D  Right by the river. Go and look, theres a bench down there.

April

• Veteran Member
Most of the path is by the river?  :-\

Confused.com

I do remember a bit of a trod mind, I wonder if that leads to your bench? The trod I recall is beside some railings and the old bridge that used to lead to Stainton Farm. We might have a wander over there on Sunday, I will take a photo if I find your bench :)

Hate will never win

pleb

• Veteran Member
If you were to come out of that path you mentioned, from the infirmiry, river in front of you. Go left at the stone bridge over t'water. Path by river, NOT up steps. Theres a bench further on. Its deffo a "path" but as to a PROW.........not by the map. Yet theres a bench.

adalard

• Veteran Member
You wouldn't think it was cold and windy from those beautiful blue skies - looks like a balmy spring day!  :)

Lovely to see the crocus and daffodils bringing some splashes of colour back to the countryside. I do like winter walking but I'm hankering after warmer weather now, leaves on the trees, wildflowers in the fields...

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy