Author Topic: Where are folks walking this weekend?  (Read 573162 times)

jimbob

• Veteran Member
Re: Where are folks walking this weekend?
« Reply #2850 on: 20:30:28, 24/01/20 »
First time through lead dislodged so a second fitting was done. Overnight stay. Physiologist checking lead placement tomorrow. Hopefully all well and can go home. It happens.  :-\
Too little, too late, too bad......

watershed

« Reply #2851 on: 14:26:25, 25/01/20 »
Thinking of you jimbob. My father had that done 12 years ago and it was a great success.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2852 on: 17:50:24, 25/01/20 »
Thinking of you jimbob. My father had that done 12 years ago and it was a great success.
Thanks to you all. Everything seems to be ok. Neither a bad nor painful procedure. Some nettle type pain today. All the nurses say the technology has leaped ahead, this one only cuts in if the heart rate goes below 30 bpm, but interestingly if it notices (dunno how) that you are straining as in high level exercise and your heart isn't responding it will up the bpm.
They said it will be of benefit in the hills as I will now have a fourth and fifth gear for hard high steep hills and won't pass out through dizziness and drop off the sharp edges. Mrs Jimbob has put the insurance documents away till the next event.

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2853 on: 18:02:26, 25/01/20 »
I hope this gets you back into the outdoors. My dad had a pacemaker fitted a few years ago after several episodes when he passed out due to his heart stopping for about 30 seconds. Since he had the pacemaker he has had no episodes and is still very active in the garden, digging and carrying, at the age of 85.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2854 on: 18:58:46, 25/01/20 »
Thanks. That is what I'm hoping for. Miss out on my local 4mile daily this week but into it big time the week after. Plans are for Hadrians Wall, if no snow forecast, in Feb, this time West to East. Testing enough, but close to bail out points all the way. So that will be both a "weekend" and a "during the week" walk, not going to kill myself.

EnglishHiker

« Reply #2855 on: 09:44:15, 26/01/20 »
My partner and I will be going to Danby Beacon. It will be the first time I've been up there since I was a child. I think we might try walking over to Scaling reservoir. 
Check out my new blog at
www.EnglishHiker.co.uk [nofollow]

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2856 on: 10:46:35, 26/01/20 »
Thanks. That is what I'm hoping for. Miss out on my local 4mile daily this week but into it big time the week after. Plans are for Hadrians Wall, if no snow forecast, in Feb, this time West to East. Testing enough, but close to bail out points all the way. So that will be both a "weekend" and a "during the week" walk, not going to kill myself.

Fingers crossed al goes well for you :)
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

Bhod

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2857 on: 16:52:03, 26/01/20 »
Sunday's planned walk is a 10 mile circular fromBowes -
"The Pennine village of Bowes evolved around the medieval castle within the village which in turn evolved around the Roman fort of Lavatrae in the early AD 70's. This walk begins in the village and follows the River Greta upstream to the natural arch of God's Bridge before crossing open land to follow Sleightholme Beck, ones of the River Greta's tributaries. From the beck the walk climbs on to the Pennine moors and progresses over wild open uplands to the high point of the walk at the Citron Seat trig point before gently rolling off the moor to Gilmonby and back into Bowes."

Turned into a just over an 8 mile walk, skipped the last section as the weather has been absolutley horrendous and spirits were flagging somewhat, still, an excuse to return in better weather.
I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake.

Slowcoach

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2858 on: 17:50:10, 26/01/20 »
Walked the Stonehenge Stomp today. 40 k of slippery mud and rain from 11.45. Our group of 4 got round together in 7 hours 45 minutes which given the conditions I am more than happy with.
It's all uphill from here.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2859 on: 00:00:40, 27/01/20 »
8 miles around South Bodmin moor on Friday. Then a similar  distance tor bagging today on Dartmoor, around Buckland common and widdicombe area. Plus I met up with the walking group for lunch on Buckland Beacon.  Pretty horrid weather. All the better for keeping a decent pace going.

Hadrian

« Reply #2860 on: 14:57:49, 02/02/20 »
Circular walk today from Elsdon in Redesdale, Northumberland. Only 5 miles, but very muddy underfoot and drizzle for half the walk. Enjoyable nonetheless.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2861 on: 15:03:41, 02/02/20 »
Circular walk today from Elsdon in Redesdale, Northumberland. Only 5 miles, but very muddy underfoot and drizzle for half the walk. Enjoyable nonetheless.

Did you see the gibbet, Dad always reckoned that Winter was a distant relative. He also said there was a route somewhere near there where they walked the geese and obviously sheep and cattle from southern Scotland to the marts around Newcastle. You just brought that back to mind. I'll need to get my old maps out. Though many drovers routes were never put down on the maps and they didn't have satellite views in those days either.

Hadrian

« Reply #2862 on: 15:10:27, 02/02/20 »
Did you see the gibbet, Dad always reckoned that Winter was a distant relative. He also said there was a route somewhere near there where they walked the geese and obviously sheep and cattle from southern Scotland to the marts around Newcastle. You just brought that back to mind. I'll need to get my old maps out. Though many drovers routes were never put down on the maps and they didn't have satellite views in those days either.

Unfortunately our route didn’t take us near the gibbet today. For anyone who’s interested, here’s a short history of Winter’s Gibbet.
https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/winter-s-gibbet

Little Foot

« Reply #2863 on: 09:18:04, 03/02/20 »
Hoping to do a 6 mile Ramblers walk on Saturday with my lad and the dog. Was thinking of joining, but the vast majority of walks are on Sundays, Mondays and Wednesdays, which are the exact days I work, so not sure it'd be worth it.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2864 on: 21:08:38, 03/02/20 »
Hoping to do a 6 mile Ramblers walk on Saturday with my lad and the dog. Was thinking of joining, but the vast majority of walks are on Sundays, Mondays and Wednesdays, which are the exact days I work, so not sure it'd be worth it.
With the ramblers, the walks are set for whatever day of the week a group member offers to lead one.  So yes your right mainly Sundays and Wednesdays, but you could always join up and set a new trend for leading walks on a Saturday and Tuesday.  One thing is for sure others will also want to walk on those days.  O0

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy