Author Topic: Regatta?  (Read 22880 times)

aljones27

• Veteran Member
Re: Regatta?
« Reply #15 on: 21:02:53, 23/09/11 »
has shrunk such that it is now almost like a 'boob tube' not a great look for a 20st bloke ;D

That's a mental image I soooo didn't need before going to bed...
Wainwrights: 17

Remember to keep smiling...
It really freaks people out as they wonder what you are up to...

http://alastairsmiscellany.blogspot.com

yeti

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 21:07:45, 23/09/11 »
excellent, a great way to support your local independent gear shop.
Like that little local shop called Go-Outdoors ;D . No honestly I agree with you on the local shopping. Some of us however have to really watch the pennies and it makes it harder to support the local shops. Instead we buy disposable rubbish at a fraction of the cost and a fraction of the lifespan :D .
R.I.P. Dave.

geordie33

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 09:13:41, 25/09/11 »
Just to add my threepennorth I think Regatta products are often a bargain and I have quite a few.However I would not buy their boots for anything more than walking the dog.I think good boots are the single most important thing for enjoyable walking and it is worth finding the money for them.I note the comments re Karrimor but I have read that people buying them recently have not been impressed.They are now owned by Mr Ashley who probably got the bean counters to do a hatchet job on the production costs,

gsdsian

« Reply #18 on: 11:43:36, 25/09/11 »
I wouldn't buy Regatta footwear again.

I practically live in my trail type shoes whether it be for walking the dogs or even in work where I walk miles up and down stairs.  My regatta shoes were comfortable to start with but the sole split after only a month or so and although I give my footwear a hard time I expect more than 6-8 weeks wear.  I also noticed that it wasn't long after I had them that I could feel every stone when I was walking.

For me buying them is false economy - Never again.

Skirrid

« Reply #19 on: 13:56:23, 25/09/11 »
My son has had very poor experiences with Regatta and Karrimor. One eVent lined pair (Karrimor) were OK though for the price.
A waste of money, though for children it's hard to justify the price of good boots when they're only in them for a few months.

angry climber

• Account Closed
« Reply #20 on: 14:24:31, 25/09/11 »
I have never bought anything frpm the regatta range. Some may say that means I should not comment but when I explain it's because I have never thought any of there range was value for money. I need sturdy kit that lasts not something that is going to break shrink or look like crap after a few washes. Quality does not have to be expensive. But I think quality lasts and so is better value for money.
Never judge someone by the opinion of others find out for yourself.

JulianC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 18:23:52, 25/09/11 »
I have two items of Regatta clothing: a pair of cargo trousers ([censored] if I'm calling them pants - that's what I wear underneath.) I've had the same pair now for nigh on two years, have been walking frequently in them, wear them for general arsing about duties and occasionally for work. They cost about 11 quid, fit perfectly and there isn't a mark on them, despite being regularly abused. Fantastic trousers. Also picked up a micro fleece top with half-zip for 4 quid. Again, well fitting and well made. Comparable in quality to the boutique brand stuff to be honest. I see absolutely no reason to spend more on what is effectively just a polyester pullover.

Wouldn't touch their footwear though - cheap flimsy [censored]. O0

botty

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 18:47:08, 25/09/11 »
I got a couple of thin half-zip fleeces also, only worn one of them so far and it seems ok - not used it in 'anger' yet though.

footix2

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 21:38:51, 25/09/11 »
I have Regatta quick dry walking trousers. They have been very good and only cost £25. I also have a soft-shell that I got off eBay for £11 and it's actually quite a decent piece of kit for the price. Shower proof, very good at insulating too. My bas layers are also Regatta and do the job adequately and cost less than a tenner each.

Of course they aren't going to be the best stuff out there, bit frankly for doing a bit of walking in the summer in the UK you don't have to spend hundreds of pounds on technical clothing IMO. You can if you want of course.

It wasn't that long ago AW was wandering about the Lake District in a tweed suit. ;)

Having said all that, I have left my Regatta boots behind and now wear 3/4 season Berghaus boots.
82/214

redeye

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 21:43:41, 25/09/11 »
mmmmmm I have a pair of regatta boots and found them really comfy. They have taken me up the National 3 Peaks, Hellvelyn, Fairfield, Siabod, hebog to name a few without any problems. I decided they needed replacing ths year after having two very wet outings and getting soaked through.  I think they are more water repellent in a shower and going in small puddles rather than full on waterproof. Comfy? Like me best pair of winter slippers O0 Used for just general walking along trails/woods/river banks etc now. I also have the Bradwell softshell jacket which is also comfy and warm on chilly camping evenings

dellwalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 21:47:24, 25/09/11 »
I wore a ten year old Regatta jacket on this years Snowdon meet when it rain all day Saturday. Lots of people in expensive-names jackets found they got wet. I was bone dry. There clothing is very good value. I have one pair of walking shoes that are rugged and have been great for walking the dog 4/5 miles on green lanes. I have a pair of the fabric boots which have lasted 4 months dog walks and they are now in the bin.

Ian1875

« Reply #26 on: 22:43:15, 25/09/11 »
Very interesting reading the comments on here. There seems to be an element of pot luck involved, they might be worth a go for the cheap price for some.  O0

garytombom

« Reply #27 on: 20:07:16, 01/10/11 »
Personally dont go near regatta stores, in my early days of mountain trekking and looking for budget brands found myself in these places and then a few weeks later found myself in another place buying a better quality product. Ive heard on the grapevine that theyve improved over the years, now not trying to sound a snob and going out buying the big brands have found that my hill/mountain sorties require a much better and subsequently pricier product. I never look for an offer e.g. should be £100 but reduced to £40. youve to ask why.
While Im not in the northface price range, for me its always been berghaus and to-date never experienced any real problems other than general wear and tear.Each to there own but please stay clear of these budget outlets, your life could depend on what gear you have one day.
GazT
Live today like its your last.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 20:49:06, 01/10/11 »
I never look for an offer e.g. should be £100 but reduced to £40. youve to ask why.

Could be many reasons, not all should put you off buying  ;) ;) O0
Where there's a will ...

dellwalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 21:06:28, 01/10/11 »
Personally dont go near regatta stores, GazT

I have used Regatta products for years and I have no complaints about any of the products, apart from one pair of fabric boots. I have used their gear for boating and walking and I could pay more if I had to but don't see the point in throwing money away. On the last Snowdonia meet-up whilst my ten year old Regatta jacket kept me dry one person who had a Berghaus jacket was soaking wet!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy