Author Topic: TR - The Rhinogs  (Read 7078 times)

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
Re: TR - The Rhinogs
« Reply #15 on: 15:40:54, 12/02/18 »
Its rare for me not to complete a walk, but that's exactly what happened on Saturday afternoon.
One of my local favourites, is to make directly for Bwlch Y Rhiwgyr, and then follow the ridge and famous Great Wall of Wales as far as Diffwys.

This was my plan, but the windchill and severity of the cold against my face, resulted in a detour, which meant i turned back having only managed roughly five or so miles.

Living on the coast, its not that often that severe windchill is a issue, but i recon the temperature was only about 3C out of the wind, and in the teeth of the wind, it was very painful, and i bet i would have suffered severe wind burn as well.

A real shame, as the views were impressive.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 06:55:24, 14/06/18 »

The Rhinogs! What wonderful rough and tough little mountains. Seeing photos such as these makes me so glad that I have found this forum.

I can recommend starting from beautiful Cwm Bychan and approaching Rhinog Fawr via the Roman Stems.

I can also recommend heading north from the Roman Steps into some wonderfully rough 'Celtic Badlands' as they have been described, a land of heather, rock pavement, crag and bog to lose yourself in for an afternoon. I would love to wild camp here (but I live a bit far away right now).
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

harry_keogh

« Reply #17 on: 12:37:52, 02/08/18 »
Nice write up. Like the Nantle ridge, this is another that I've been meaning to do for a long time. There's a couple of scramble routes listed on them too in the new Scrambles in Snowdonia book which I'd like to try and incorporate.

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 13:05:21, 02/08/18 »
Many walkers reading up about the Rhinogs, are under the impression that they are all brutal in nature, but this is far from the truth. :-[
So much is written and discussed about the area north of Yr lethr, with the outlying summits of Rhinog Fach, Fawr, and Moel Ysgyfarnogod, that the majority of potential visitors are kept away, thinking the entire range of mountains are savage in nature.

The summits of Yr Llethr, and Diffwys are amongst the easiest to traverse, and offer simply majestic views towards the rest of the Snowdonia range and on towards Cader Idris and Mid Wales.

The southern Rhinogs are very similar in certain respects to the Brecon Beacons, gentle grass terrain, and weather permitting, suitable for young and old.

If your after absolutely brutal terrain, enough to test even the best hardened walker, the Rhinogs can offer that in abundance, but if you want a new adventure in Southern Snowdonia, and most likely have the mountains to your self, the Southern Rhinogs towards Barmouth, come highly recommended.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy