Author Topic: Tryfan's North Ridge claims it's fourth victim in almost as many weeks.  (Read 6674 times)

Owen

• Veteran Member
Does an Englishman called Owen become Ewen if he moves to Scotland? You'd be surprised how often I get called that even by people who know me well.

jonathand

Does an Irishman named Sean suddenly become 'John' if he moves to England?

Yep! :)
Out of interest (and my real reason for posting), how is Iwan pronounced?

Jon.

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member

Actually, I think translation of names is a bit of a grey area.  I live in a gaelic speaking part of Scotland where many people switch easily and comfortably between the English and the gaelic form of their names, and are called by the gaelic form on BBC Alba and the gaelic bits of newspapers and the english form on BBC 1.  I know people called Ewen, Eoghan, and Uisdean and have no idea whether they are registered under those names or as Hugh.  But if they had an accident and it was locally reported that Hugh was injured, no-one would have a clue who you meant, even the English speaking ones.
I'm from Yorkshire and my gaelic isn't that good, and I always remember the first time I was working in a gaelic  context and saw my name on a list and totally failed to recognise it.  Apart from the fact it started Nic not Mac, it had about twice as many letters as I expected!  But Mr Islandplodder is a native gaelic speaker and uses both the gaelic and english forms of his nanes depending on who he is talking to.  I tend to use the English form because I find it hard to pronounce the gaelic form in the vocative, and can never remember the other cases!
When choosing childrens names we carefully chose ones that were the same in both languages.

Skip

• Veteran Member
Skip

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member

Sorry, straying off the point again.
But I suspect that in a part of the UK where 2 languages are regularly used, both forms of the name would be used (depending on the news outlet) in the event of an accident in the hills.

ljmeerkat75

• Veteran Member
It seems another topic has gone askew due to DA either trying  to be clever or perhaps purposely trying to annoy people I guess only he knows

We shouldn't forget that a fellow mountaineer has lost his life doing a route which shouldn't of resulted in his untimely death

I think we should try to give people who want to enjoy the classic North ridge of Tryfan a go as much good advice as possible and perhaps prevent another death or injury

I have noticed more often than not these accidents happen when people in poor conditions attempt to descend quickly down the east or west face which lands them in a much more serious gully than expected

There is a safe way off the west side called the Western gully which is just before the North summit but if its claggy and you don't have previous knowledge of this way down the best course of action is to continue on down the south summit to the second stile and take the path back much less chance of going wrong
« Last Edit: 12:06:48, 20/01/18 by ljmeerkat75 »

Ridge

• Veteran Member
We shouldn't forget that a fellow mountaineer has lost his life doing a route which shouldn't of resulted in his untimely death
Thanks, good point well made.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
As a contrast, sorry its off topic, I have just finished reading all of our national newspapers on line. The article that interested me most this morning was in the Sun, about the 'hundreds' of people that have been killed climbing Mount Everest since 1953 and saying, with photos, of how many bodies are just lying around and may never be moved, could be as high as 300.

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
Its plain and simple, HUWS is just a Welsh translation of the surname Hughes.

Iwan, came from the Dyffryn Nantle area, near the village of Penygroes, in the heartland of the Gwynedd Welsh language area, and his family are first language Welsh.

My first language is English, so i prefer to call someone named Huws, Hughes.

My friends son, who lives three doors down from me in Dyffryn, is named Llyr Ap Iorwerth, or in English,, Llyr son of Iorwerth.

Their a Welsh family, fully bilingual in both English and Welsh.

Is just a different translation of a surname.

What's there to get upset about, certain members are making it into a big issue, when there's nothing to get worried about.
« Last Edit: 12:32:06, 20/01/18 by Dyffryn Ardudwy »

jimbob

• Veteran Member
Thanks LJMEERCAT79 & Ridge for bringing a bit of sense back into this topic!

If we do need to argue about linguistic semantics , please do it in a less than sad topic. This topic surely  is about giving compassion to a walker who has died as a result of his hobby.
Too little, too late, too bad......

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
I fully agree with that, its always upsetting to hear that another casualty has been brought off a Snowdonia mountain.
Arguing over the correct or incorrect pronouncation of his name, will not help him or his relatives.

dank86

I agree with all the others here, you don't translate a name for whatever reason. The translation is not that person's name.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy