Author Topic: Cairngorm Mountain closed?  (Read 1385 times)

Steve922

Cairngorm Mountain closed?
« on: 21:21:50, 13/02/18 »
A couple of years back, I took the funicular to the top ski station on Cairn Gorm then walked up to the weather station at the summit. Looking at the website now, it appears to say that you are not allowed onto the mountain from the top station. There is no access. Can this be right? Am I missing something?
    More so because I've booked skiing lessons for my grandson next week and I want to keep in touch with him whilst up there.  Anyone know the score on this matter?

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
Re: Cairngorm Mountain closed?
« Reply #1 on: 22:05:31, 13/02/18 »
Your quite right and what a good idea it is too.  The top of the mountain was being eroded away by dare I say, lazy folk, probably the wrong word, but you know what I'm getting at..  Far better to appreciate any summit after a little effort getting their.  O0

I had planned to do all the Scottish 4000's this summer. But injury has put paid to my plans, for now.  Once I'm able to get fit enough again Cairngorm is definitely still on my tick list.

snoopdawg

« Reply #2 on: 22:08:16, 13/02/18 »
Seem to recall that has been the policy from the outset, not allowing walkers to use the train to get to the top station and then walking up the path, which has actually has a walk rail beside it to the top.

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 05:22:05, 14/02/18 »
It's a planning restriction imposed on them when they built the train. So they have to stick by it.

Addingham

« Reply #4 on: 05:26:51, 14/02/18 »
A couple of years back, I took the funicular to the top ski station on Cairn Gorm then walked up to the weather station at the summit. Looking at the website now, it appears to say that you are not allowed onto the mountain from the top station. There is no access. Can this be right? Am I missing something?
    More so because I've booked skiing lessons for my grandson next week and I want to keep in touch with him whilst up there.  Anyone know the score on this matter?

You were a bit naughty. ;D  A restriction has been in place since that eyesore was built. Although the staff up there turn a blind eye to lazy walkers hopping over the wall. ;D

vizzavona

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 06:45:26, 14/02/18 »
As has been said the 'no go' to the summit from the train terminus at the Ptarmigan area has been operation since the system was built....but applies only to summer visitors.
In winter if you have skis, snowboard or even snowshoes you can go and get lost anywhere in the Northern Cairngorms having ascended on the train. :)

So summer visitors even on a  windless sunny day are kept indoors.  Erosion? there is a granite staircase with posts and handrails that I guess that most folks would use in summer.
I have only used the train in winter to gain access to the upper skiing area.
Totally closed yesterday, gates closed in Glenmore, after the wind had dumped metres of snow on the access road to the carpark.  :(  It is the mid-term holiday period so I guess that it is real   downer for skiers and for the providers of the ski service.

Addingham

« Reply #6 on: 07:47:25, 14/02/18 »
As has been said the 'no go' to the summit from the train terminus at the Ptarmigan area has been operation since the system was built....but applies only to summer visitors.
In winter if you have skis, snowboard or even snowshoes you can go and get lost anywhere in the Northern Cairngorms having ascended on the train. :)

Does Ice axe and crampons count? Or even Yaktraks. ;)

Steve922

« Reply #7 on: 19:28:33, 14/02/18 »
Thanks for so much good info guys. Does anyone know about the ski tuition area? I was hoping to go up on the funicular and watch as my grandson does his falling over, provide him with lunch, etc.
    Also - a season ticket for the funicular appears to only be double the day price, so that seems to be a no-briner!

sparnel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 20:25:43, 14/02/18 »
You can walk to the summit from the top station. My son & daughter did it last Friday in perfect weather.
The 'restriction' was there to try and stop casual day trippers walking to the summit with inappropriate gear.
I'm sure you'll be able to go and watch the grandkids having a ball! Mine will be there this weekend.
Should be plenty of snow so lets hope the wind stays away...........
For the record, the road through Glencoe is closed tonight due to drifting snow; has been for most of the day.

Doddy

« Reply #9 on: 15:52:43, 20/02/18 »
[font=&amp]
The ticket is sold on the understanding that the holder will abide by the conditions laid out in the Conservation System and will not exit the top Station except on to the viewing terrace. The only exception to this is during a skiing operation when ‘ski spectator’ tickets will be issued.
  • Ski Spectator tickets allow the holder to exit the top station during a skiing operation on the understanding that the holder remains within the ski patrol boundaries and takes due care relative to the conditions underfoot. Please be aware that skiers and boarders have right of way on the ski slopes.
  • The ticket is sold on the understanding that the holder will undertake all activity respecting the European Conservation Site Boundaries.
  • i.e access is limited to protect the environment.
  • [/color]  
  • [/li][/list]

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy