Author Topic: Difficulty Eating on Long Walks  (Read 2735 times)

Stube

Re: Difficulty Eating on Long Walks
« Reply #15 on: 12:15:32, 29/05/18 »
I find I need to stop and eat about every four hours, or I run out of steam and go flop. I'll rarely nibble between meals.

I find that on multiday walks, I never manage to eat enough and lose weight at the rate of a pound every two days. On return home, I might put a pound or two back on, but the bulk stays off - at least in the short term.

Latest example: 12 day walk, 7+lbs lost.

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 15:11:02, 30/05/18 »
I'm exactly the same for long, multi day walks.  I start off fine, but then don't particularly have much of an appetite as I'm cranking out the miles.  Waking up to a calorie-laden meal puts me off entirely, and I've started just having coffee + some sort of energy bar, with me having breakfast about 9am after I've walked for a bit and found a stream to wash up in.  Dinners I've tried to keep as neutral as possible - I love strong tasting food when I'm at home, but cannot stomach a curry or something very spicy on a long hike, just makes me feel sick.

johhnyp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 22:52:30, 30/05/18 »
Same with me. Ravenous 30 minutes after the end of the walk. Cooked breakfast nauseates me. Have to force food down in the morning. Can tolerate milk in fairly large quantities however. During the day the body seems to shut down hunger wise although I get stomach rumbles quite a lot. Chocolate, pastilles, energy bars are bout all I can get down on the trail. :(

dank86

« Reply #18 on: 23:08:20, 30/05/18 »
Just out of curiosity has the people who have issues eating during a walk tried energy gels?

They are used a lot in running and cycling, I always carry them on long hikes as well and they do come in handy

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 15:58:57, 31/05/18 »
Sugary drink instead of water to stop low blood sugar effects, then eat when you fee like it.

I wish I had a period when I didn't feel like eating. I only get that when I'm actually asleep. At all other times, I'm hungry.

KimE

« Reply #20 on: 07:57:36, 01/06/18 »

You must have salt to keep your electrolyte lever so you dont get shaky.I have a bag of mixed raisin and salt peanuts in my pocket, wich keep my energy and salt level while walking.
On the walking day i eat porrige for breakfast and eat a small meat of hard bread and soup as lunch.

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 10:24:35, 01/06/18 »
Did a walk yesterday (see TR) in Yorkshire.............got stomach ache, indegestion from eating too much flapjack. God it took me ages to get enough steam to get back to the start.
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 14:42:23, 01/06/18 »
On short walking breaks..where I invariably stay at hotels or B n B's nowadays, always have a full english, some toast, cereal and some fruit at breakfast. Can then usual walk sort of distances I do nowadays without further food until evening...when I usually eat much less than morning.

On a walking day starting from home, usually have some fruit and cereal for breakfast. Then if I get chance of a snack after say two hours walking..I'll take it..but don't often bother taking food with me.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy