Author Topic: Wyre Way  (Read 913 times)

Slogger

• Veteran Member
Wyre Way
« on: 17:35:56, 04/08/18 »
Dropped my van off fopr repair at a Garage in Hambleton near Fleetwood. I decided to walk back to Preston along part of the Wyre Way. I won't be doing that section again in a hurry, especially not at this time of year. The path is mostly non existent, not usually a problem but sure signs of little use. Signage is sparse. Started with a riverside section along the marshes. The marshes won when the path dissapeared, found it again for a short time before it completely disappeared. I escaped into a farm field and headed through the farm, appologising to the country lane. A mile or so further on and back on the Way. Paths now not re-established after agricultural work through fields. Over a stile into the jungle, no path at all and battling 8 foot dense grassland before finally emerging with wet shorts and socks covered head to foot in all kinds of seeds, leaves grass and those little round things that stick to everything. Gave up and followed the lane into St Michaels on Wyre. Took too long so a pint of shandy in the Grapes and a taxi to Preston.
Is anyone responsible for maintaining that route, if there is they haven't been doing their job, probably not though as it's not a National Trail.

vghikers

• Veteran Member
Re: Wyre Way
« Reply #1 on: 18:32:44, 04/08/18 »
Not heard of that one, I had to look it up. On the LDWA site it's described as the Wyre Estuary Coastal Path with a (dead) link to the Lancashire County Council website. The only documentation seems to be A5 leaflets from the Wyreside Ecology Centre - 1999.

It would seem that the WW is (or was) an enthusiastic concept more than a maintained trail, with half hearted waymarking and few users, though it is marked on OS maps. I don't think anybody has responsibility for it as such, beyond the basic legal one of keeping rights of way unobstructed, and even in this last regard you won't get any joy from the local authority in these days of savage cuts and failures to meet more important obligations.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy