Author Topic: Lyke wake walk  (Read 2195 times)

Toxicbunny

Lyke wake walk
« on: 16:35:35, 20/08/18 »
Hi, Anyone on here done the Lyke Wake walk. I'm looking at walking it soon. Starting at osmotherley. I've done a lot of walks round osmotherly already so know most the starting route. Just ordered a guide book for tips. I've seen various videos and blogs some completed in 12 hours some 19 and a few fails. Anyone on here done the walk. Any tips.

tonyk

• Veteran Member
Re: Lyke wake walk
« Reply #1 on: 17:40:14, 20/08/18 »
 Only done it once as an alternative finish to the coast to coast walk.Took just over 14 hours carrying a pack.Best to start at 2 or 3 am so you can be in Ravenscar before it gets dark.The first half is quite easy to navigate in the dark.

Toxicbunny

« Reply #2 on: 17:49:15, 20/08/18 »
Only done it once as an alternative finish to the coast to coast walk.Took just over 14 hours carrying a pack.Best to start at 2 or 3 am so you can be in Ravenscar before it gets dark.The first half is quite easy to navigate in the dark.
I do osmotherley area regular not in the dark yet though. I'm trying to work out whether I can fit it in this year before the nights come rolling in.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 19:10:36, 20/08/18 »
I did it years ago.
We did about the first hour in the dark and had someone who had walked it before so knew the way. If you live in the area it would be worth going over the first section in day light so that you can follow it easily in the dark.

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 20:11:22, 20/08/18 »
I did it in '74,but my memories are probably of no use to you - anyway, they have probably tarmacked / paving slabs over half of it like they have with some of the Pennine Way (walked that 1st time in '73)

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 21:58:46, 20/08/18 »
I did it in '74,but my memories are probably of no use to you - anyway, they have probably tarmacked / paving slabs over half of it like they have with some of the Pennine Way (walked that 1st time in '73)
I don't  think the Lyke Wake Walk merited the protection that plant life and the delicate environment of a lot of the Pennine Way does. The paths were primarily put there to protect the environment rather than help the walker.This has been discussed on this and many other forums over the years. Of course we had it rough in our youth compared to the following  generation.  ( repeat for each subsequent  generation )😉
Too little, too late, too bad......

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 22:25:58, 20/08/18 »
I don't  think the Lyke Wake Walk merited the protection that plant life and the delicate environment of a lot of the Pennine Way does. The paths were primarily put there to protect the environment rather than help the walker.This has been discussed on this and many other forums over the years. Of course we had it rough in our youth compared to the following  generation.  ( repeat for each subsequent  generation )😉

Remember the Monty Python Sketch " Four Yorkshire Men - Luxury"
Tell that to the youngsters today …………….

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ue7wM0QC5LE

wombat

« Reply #7 on: 22:30:25, 20/08/18 »
Hi, done it 23 times but the last time was over 30 years ago so think the route has changed slightly since then. One year did it every weekend for 8 weeks leading parties of scouts. We used to set off around 1.00am to get the first part over in darkness, but due to familiarity,navigation was not a problem. Times have ranged from 14 hrs to 23 hrs ,(that was in full on winter conditions ), and one there and back walk that took 30 hrs. The main thing is to make sure you are physically and mentally ready, and if possible have a support crew meeting you at road crossings to supply food and drinks, also means you do not have to carry supplies for the whole walk, Best of luck and hope you enjoy it as much as i did  :)

Jim234

« Reply #8 on: 10:20:38, 29/08/18 »
Yes done it  about six years ago. Terrible weather.... Massive sense of achievement at the end.

I regularly complete between 20-30 miles per day. But I will say this, this walk should not be underestimated. I put in a lot of training before hand. A few weeks ago completed a 29.5 mile route between Matlock and Castleton in the Peaks but still considered whether I still had it in me to walk the additional 10 that that LW required. The killer for me personally on this walk is the hard surface walking of which there is plenty....

Toxicbunny

« Reply #9 on: 13:31:00, 29/08/18 »
Yes done it  about six years ago. Terrible weather.... Massive sense of achievement at the end.

I regularly complete between 20-30 miles per day. But I will say this, this walk should not be underestimated. I put in a lot of training before hand. A few weeks ago completed a 29.5 mile route between Matlock and Castleton in the Peaks but still considered whether I still had it in me to walk the additional 10 that that LW required. The killer for me personally on this walk is the hard surface walking of which there is plenty....

I walk regular I was over flying Dales on Monday to do a 14 mile around the Moor  area. I'm familiar with the osmotherley side as I walk that regular. 40 miles is a long way in one day so I'm looking at going for it next year as I want the longer nights and early sunrises plus dry footing. I've seen a few GPX routes available to download plus I have the guide book. I'm building myself up to longer walks. It's the hills that get me  :P

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy