Author Topic: What are your hiking preferences??  (Read 2029 times)

Mirte

What are your hiking preferences??
« on: 08:55:00, 05/09/18 »
Hi Guys!
My name is Mirte and I am from The Netherlands. and I am currently researching the preferences of hikers from the UK for my studies so I can evantually compare this to the preferences of hikers in The Netherlands.
I would love to learn more about what is hot and what not! So basically what do you want and expect when you go on a hike? It could be anything from where you like to go hiking to the facilities offered along the way or etc  :) .  

Thank you so much in advance!  

Mirte

Ronin83

Re: What are your hiking preferences??
« Reply #1 on: 09:26:38, 05/09/18 »
Hi Mirte.
I like variation so im not sure theres many preferences.
I guess if its hot I like to have some forest sections for relief from the sun and I don't like walks which include much road walking. In fact, I dont particularly like flat hard ground, it kills my feet and gets boring.
A good pub at the end is always handy, but not necessary

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 18:45:40, 05/09/18 »
A decent patch of grass for my tent, I hope that its not raining when I arrive and when I get up (no problem if it rains overnight) and I can get to a pub in the evening. I also like shade and I'm not keen on leaking boots!

Prefer mountains if possible and as I walk alone I tend to stick to popular routes.

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 19:09:58, 05/09/18 »
Living here in Southern Snowdonia, i like my walks to offer quiet solitude, and if the views are majestic its a real bonus.
Its not that i am antisocial, far from it, but i enjoy the tranquillity and peace and quiet of the remoter areas of Northern Wales.

Climbing Snowdon with hundreds of other people, a lot of whom drop littler and disrespect the countryside, is not what i want from a walk.

I deliberately seek out the more quieter areas of Snowdonia, so i can then enjoy the vistas without hindrance of noisy children and equally noisy parents.

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 20:32:58, 05/09/18 »
My preference is for wilderness, somewhere where I can walk for weeks on end without coming across any sign of other people. Unfortunately, it's not very practicable to do trips like that very often, once a year at very best. I like doing shorter trips as well weekend or long weekend camping trips are great, but I mostly do day walks within easy distance of home. I'd guess that's the same for everyone.   

Toxicbunny

« Reply #5 on: 22:59:17, 05/09/18 »
Hi,
I prefer moorland and dales. For some reason I love tumuli. They are found all over the moors as standing stones. I tend to look for walks less travelled away from pubs and tea rooms. I do a walk up to 13 miles once a week and shorter ones in between I live near the North Yorkshire moors and walk all year no matter what weather I have a Siberian husky in tow.

Thedogsmother

« Reply #6 on: 23:17:08, 05/09/18 »
Prefer more remote walks where I’m unlikely to see many other people.

Prefer forest tracks and mountain terrain.

Prefer it to be cool, even bordering on cold and I don’t mind if its raining. If there’s a bit of breeze that’s ideal. I like autumn and winter walking best. I have a fairly high core temperature so I wouldn’t go out walking much in summer.

Prefer walking alone or with one other person, not in groups.

I don’t care if there aren’t any facilities on route.

I prefer linear routes to circuits. Point a to point b.

Hope that helps.

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 14:10:05, 06/09/18 »
I prefer hills, dales, coastal, riverside
walking alone
linear walks
warm, dry, sunny weather

I'm not bothered about pubs and cafes as I prefer to take a packed lunch

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 14:38:56, 06/09/18 »
I love all terrain, mountains I have explored in my younger days to extent of rock climbing, as a one time farmer lowland hold fascination both from an agrarian interest as to the value that terrain has for the visitor.
I am therefore critical of a notion of private land that obscures for others features of value. My greatest enjoyment now is a balance of physical and intellectual discovery, which exposes this dichotomy.
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 00:53:00, 07/09/18 »
I like mountains. Solitude. Enjoy the physical challenges a good hike can through up. Enjoy navigating and planning walks and the random changes to plan that often occur, regardless of the best laid plans.

jontea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 08:10:57, 07/09/18 »
My ideal walk would be in the mountains  and would include climbing into fantastic views, I’d have a bit of rock scrambling to do, I love walking along rivers, streams, through woodland off the beaten track is a bonus, before heading high.
I prefer cool or colder days rather than hot ones. I’m happy in sunshine or cloud and rain, but don’t like high winds.

But I also like the challenge of navigating in low cloud and mist, which gives a day out a new dimension.

I enjoy solo walking but also in groups, they are just very different experiences.
Walking is the world’s oldest exercise and today’s modern medicine.

https://www.johntrowsdaleart.com/

Instagram  jontea62

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 15:00:51, 07/09/18 »

Welcome Mirte - Personally I am drawn to the mountains and wild places, although a good woodland, riverside or coastal walk can be satisfying too.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

fit old bird

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 09:06:07, 08/09/18 »
I like walking anywhere, variety is the spice of life. Part of the pleasure for me is the physical act of walking for exercise. It doesn't matter where I am, better if I have never been there before. On or off road is fine. I particularly like to walk routes where not many other people go. I like villages, rivers, hill walking, coastal and lakes, not too fussed about climbing mountains.

ilona

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 10:14:39, 08/09/18 »
Probably a wooded valley with a stream/river running through it.
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy