Author Topic: Scafell Pike routes?  (Read 2735 times)

MC3790

Scafell Pike routes?
« on: 19:24:22, 08/09/18 »
Hi all, i'm heading up to the lakes this month and am looking to walk up Scafell, although i'm not an absolute novice to hill walking, and have a basic MLT qualification, i've not done Scafell before, so if anyone can recommend a Start/finish point and route (With some waypoints would be handy) to suit a novice to Scafell, thanks in advance
MC3790

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
Re: Scafell Pike routes?
« Reply #1 on: 19:35:36, 08/09/18 »
Hi, before anyone answers, do you mean Scafell or Scafell Pike as they are 2 different hills.

I’m assuming you mean Scafell Pike which is the largest?
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

MC3790

« Reply #2 on: 19:55:22, 08/09/18 »
Yes Scaffel Pike

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 20:04:44, 08/09/18 »
Here is Scafell Pike by the Corridor Route from Seathwaite as done by yours truly.

https://www.gpsies.com/map.do?fileId=ynutgpvdkutpngfz
Solvitur Ambulando

MC3790

« Reply #4 on: 20:10:51, 08/09/18 »
excellent, youre not the first to recommend that route, so looks like it could be a winner, thanks

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 23:41:50, 08/09/18 »
I enjoyed my first time on the Scafell massive last Monday, with my son. We stayed in Burnthwiate Farm, excellent good value accomodation.  Walked up to the intersection with the corridors route, then up the Band to the base of cust's gully.  You need a rope to climb the gully, which we did.  Otherwise just carry on up the Band to the summit of Great End.  From there you can easily visit I'll Crag and Broad Crag, on your your way over to Scafell Pike.  We then took Lords Rake and the west wall route to Simonds Knott and Scafell, before finally heading down, taking in views of Wastwater and the setting sun, as we decended the steps of the brpwn tongue route to the Pub at Wasdale head a short walk from the farm.  A great day on the mountain and a thoroughly recommended route, just miss out the first gully unless you have a rope with you.
« Last Edit: 00:07:16, 09/09/18 by BuzyG »

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 16:52:03, 10/09/18 »

The path above Piers Gill is a good route. There's one small scrambly bit but nothing too serious, my daughter had no problem. Don't try to follow the stream itself though.

A good return if the weather is fine would be to head NE over the tops to Broad End, and then double back a bit to get on to Esk Hause to the east, and follow the track NW to Sprinkling Tarn and Sty Head, then down below Great Gable to Wasdale Head. I returned this way many years ago, a fine promenade!

If you want to go up Scafell as well, bear in mind that the direct route from Scafell Pike, up Broad Stand, involves some pretty serious exposed scrambling.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 19:45:16, 10/09/18 »
Here's some good suggestions, as ive yet to climb the mountain.
Cumbria is not quite on my doorstep, so climbing Englands highest mountain, is not high on my list of mountains to climb.
Ive done Ben Nevis, and been up Snowdon, so may attempt Scaffell Pike someday, but there are areas of Snowdonia ive yet to walk, so Scaffell Pike is not high on my list.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 20:55:24, 10/09/18 »
The path above Piers Gill is a good route. There's one small scrambly bit but nothing too serious, my daughter had no problem. Don't try to follow the stream itself though.

A good return if the weather is fine would be to head NE over the tops to Broad End, and then double back a bit to get on to Esk Hause to the east, and follow the track NW to Sprinkling Tarn and Sty Head, then down below Great Gable to Wasdale Head. I returned this way many years ago, a fine promenade!

If you want to go up Scafell as well, bear in mind that the direct route from Scafell Pike, up Broad Stand, involves some pretty serious exposed scrambling.

My son is a half decent climber and I am happy on a tough scramble.  We had a rope with us too.  One look at Broadstand in the mist and the rain, was enough to have us heading for lords rake.  The exposure is quite something, get it wrong and it is a 60 ft plus drop.

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 22:41:22, 10/09/18 »
 If you are a competent climber and want a bit of excitement I would recommend Red Gill for its fear factor.Rotten rock that comes away in your hands,a huge overhanging boulder blocking the way near the top of the climb,a chimney and near vertical walls in its upper section.Add a bit of rain and it gets desperate.I climbed it by mistake and it was  real white knuckle job but the beer tasted good that night.
 Buzyg,you are right about Broadstand,it is not technically difficult but the objective dangers are very high and there have been many accidents here.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 00:04:25, 11/09/18 »
Think we found the top of red gill when we were trying to decend via lords rake.  Didn't fancy it as route down in he wet.  Happily we founds lords rake a few minutes later.  I was n't expecting to have to go up 20m before it goes back down.

bigbri

« Reply #11 on: 14:23:26, 12/09/18 »
The route from Wastwater is pretty good but shorter and a bit steeper than the Corridor route I would think.

Bri

dav

« Reply #12 on: 18:21:46, 13/09/18 »
If you are a competent climber and want a bit of excitement I would recommend Red Gill for its fear factor.Rotten rock that comes away in your hands,a huge overhanging boulder blocking the way near the top of the climb,a chimney and near vertical walls in its upper section.Add a bit of rain and it gets desperate.I climbed it by mistake and it was  real white knuckle job but the beer tasted good that night.
 Buzyg,you are right about Broadstand,it is not technically difficult but the objective dangers are very high and there have been many accidents here.
Yes Tony, sevral walkers who have mistaken Red Gill for the top of Lords Rake have become fatalities after falling down the gully, which is then always a difficult mountain rescue extraction.Cust Gully, Ive climbed that numerous times solo including a Winter ice climb in grade 4 condition, with Alan Hinks also soloing behind  me. That final vertical can be tricky!

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 17:33:11, 18/09/18 »
I had a lovely day walking from the car park near Wasdale Head, but avoiding the short, main route up (favoured by the 3 peakers if the signs were anything to go by) but rather going along near Lingmell Beck, checking out Sty Tarn briefly from the hillside, then the Corridor Route to the peak. We had the Lingmell Beck valley practically to ourselves.

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 22:08:06, 18/09/18 »
We parked at Seathwaite and walked up via Grains Gill and back along the Corridor route. Hardly saw anyone on the way up though we did start early. Quite a few at the top and more trekking up from Wasdale.  Tailed off again once we turned off for the corridor route. Can highly recommend it, varied terrain and great views.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy