Author Topic: Sleeping in shooting huts?  (Read 3414 times)

humansnail

Sleeping in shooting huts?
« on: 21:07:22, 17/09/18 »

I was recently chatting to a friend who was talking about a walk he did in the North Pennines where he stopped by an unlocked shooting hut/barn or whatever you call them :) for a cuppa.

It got me thinking as to whether you can sleep in unlocked ones or rooms of ones which are unlocked? I'm guessing the answer would be no and I really don't want to annoy a bunch of people with guns ;D but if you can and folks do, it could open up some interesting possibilities...….

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Re: Sleeping in shooting huts?
« Reply #1 on: 23:25:50, 17/09/18 »
Never tried sleeping in one but I often came across ones that had an unlocked side room for shelter. Equally some are locked up tighter than Fort Knox. I guess it depends on the estate.
Solvitur Ambulando

Pitboot

« Reply #2 on: 07:08:03, 18/09/18 »
I can't see any problem with that as long as you do not make a mess and leave it as you found it.
as for annoying people with guns, this is the UK not the USA, a  gun owner would not risk losing his difficult to obtain and expensive firearms licence over someone taking shelter in an unlocked building, you would have the law on your side.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 07:26:21, 18/09/18 »
I can't see any problem with that as long as you do not make a mess and leave it as you found it.
as for annoying people with guns, this is the UK not the USA, a  gun owner would not risk losing his difficult to obtain and expensive firearms licence over someone taking shelter in an unlocked building, you would have the law on your side.
If the owner found you and wasn't happy they can always get you arrested for breaking and entering. Unlike land where trespass on civilian land is a civil case, entering property uninvited is a criminal offence. So take care not to leave any trace or damage.  In late, out early, etc.

Too little, too late, too bad......

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 07:59:41, 18/09/18 »
Not if it was open, trespass only  O0  as you haven't 'broken' anything
Where there's a will ...

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 09:03:59, 18/09/18 »
Not if it was open, trespass only  O0  as you haven't 'broken' anything
O.K.  O0 I suppose squatters  rights could be assumed if the building is open. Sounds reasonable.
Too little, too late, too bad......

snoopdawg

« Reply #6 on: 09:31:13, 18/09/18 »
Urban myth Sussamb,lots of burglaries are committed via unlocked open doors ,referred to as "sneak ins". The burglary elements is either the intent on entry or what occurs after entry as a trespassers.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 09:41:26, 18/09/18 »
Yes that's different, there was an intent to steal ...
Where there's a will ...

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 10:14:58, 18/09/18 »
While the cynical part of me thinks that the unlocked side rooms on shooting huts may be more for the benefit of keepers and estate workers rather than to offer shelter to passing walkers, I am both prepared and happy to be wrong as I have always been treated courteously by keepers and shooters. They are certainly a good place to take a break and grab a bite out of the weather. There is a good one on the PW northbound after crossing the A66. NY 94500 14768
Solvitur Ambulando

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 10:35:21, 18/09/18 »
I've slept in such places, I did one night in one in the Pyrenees recently. If I'm wild camping I'll tend to go for what's available. One of the best type of places for me is verandas and awnings, very useful, especially when its raining hard.

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 10:53:01, 18/09/18 »
Spent a very comfortable night in a fisherman's hut on the side of a lake, part of an old Victorian boathouse. It was on one of my cross Wales walks, and I had expected to rough camp on moorland, but I was making better time than expected and it was a welcome exchange for pasture well stocked with sheep and cattle. The large padlock was a disguise and could be unhooked, the old Yale lock succumbed to my MFI loyalty card. It was well stocked cooking accessories, so I treated it as a bothy, re-stocked the firewood and swept it out and left all tidy. I refrained from signing the visitors log, after some speculation.
If there was more joint cooperation across interests that share the countryside for there leisure pursuits then a better understanding might be reached. Sadly shooting is one of those interests that has historically used it practices and employees to exclude others from our countryside. It features as one of the main sports of the very class, who want to keep the countryside exclusive for their use. As hunting slips down in popularity among country dwellers, the decline in upkeep of hunting wickets is noticeable, yet they are valuable  infrastructure for crossing holding boundaries.
I have noticed Sussamb's recent topic on a very important issue that should occupy the attention of all users of the countryside, probably more than other side issues such as fracking and wind farms that get instant support on a walking forum. So as the topic lies undisturbed, I will ignore it, to fall in with the collective stupor.
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 10:58:26, 18/09/18 »
I've slept in such places, I did one night in one in the Pyrenees recently. If I'm wild camping I'll tend to go for what's available. One of the best type of places for me is verandas and awnings, very useful, especially when its raining hard.

The Pyrenees are dotted with loads of shepherds' huts but unfortunately IME many are often locked tight so serve only to provide a convenient lee.
Solvitur Ambulando

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 13:13:25, 18/09/18 »
If the building is left unlocked, and the visitor treats the building with the utmost respect and care that is due someone else is property, then i can see no issues.
You may get an angry response if your surprised by an angry owner, but someone who has shown respect, in the way they look after the building, may get a different response.

There are two beautifully maintained climbers huts in the Upper Eigiau valley, one is always locked, whilst the other always remains open.

In all the years Ive walked these areas, the locked premises with a lot of equipment clearly in view behind glass, is respected and left unvandalised.

Even the open shelter, looks a little scruffy inside, but its never been vandalised by mindless idiots, even though it would be easy to do so, due to its very remote location.

Respect a building, leave it in the same condition when you leave, and you should have few issues.

Leaving all your litter behind and wreck the place, as some people are likely to do,  well that's a different matter.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 14:41:37, 18/09/18 »
Two extremes of hut use from the Pyrenees,

In the Cabane de Courrau on the path to the Sommet d'Anténac there is a sign that reads:
Si tu es promeneur, tu es le bienvenu. Si ti es un montagnard, tu es chez toi. Si tu es un con, écris ton nom sur les murs.
(If you are a walker, you are welcome, If you are mountain man, you are at home. if you are a ****, write you name on the walls - there are no graffiti though).

Outside the Cabane de la Coume, on the path to the Mont du Lis, there is a sign that says:
Cabane réservée exclusivement à l'exclusivité du berger. Entrée interdite à tous, c'est-à-dire à vous.
(Hut reserved exclusively for the sole use of the shepherd. Entry forbidden to everyone, this means you).

Trouble is on the maps they are both marked as cabanes, so you can't tell if there is shelter or not 'til you get there.  Same principle applies in the North Pennines.
Solvitur Ambulando

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 15:28:22, 18/09/18 »
I think the one that I slept in in the Pyrenees was normally locked, but luckily for me and a young German couple I had met a day previously, it was open. Sometimes on a hike a bit of luck is most welcome.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy