Author Topic: Sleeping in shooting huts?  (Read 3395 times)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Re: Sleeping in shooting huts?
« Reply #15 on: 15:49:19, 18/09/18 »
In 2015 I slept within the wire fence of a sheep shed (which was empty) on a small flat trailor. I was surrounded by sheep but they were the other side of the fence. On the same hike, I was miles from anywhere, I slept within a shooting 'hedge', a man made 'U' shaped construction of small branches and other sorts of vegitation, about 8' x 4' where shooters sit and hide (they call it 'sport' I believe) at particular times of the year and then blast anything that moves across the sky. I just cleared the ground of twigs and other debris, closed off the end of the 'U' with some branches and then slept in my Hunker. It was a warm humid night and I slept well enough. I was off hiking again soon after dawn, never saw anyone until much later in the day. The one thing I have never slept in, but I've seen them, are 'shooting huts' in trees and one that I saw on my last hike, a simple construction of scaffold poles. I climbed to the top and stood on the wooden platform to admire the view and even fancied the idea of sleeping there, but it wobbled too much and felt unsafe so I just moved on.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 17:21:34, 18/09/18 »
GW, if you go sneaking into other folks huts in France look out for these bad boys.

Film of it in action here  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57B3AllkVhA

Not sure they are still legal but I have seen warning signs outside buildings and i didn't bother to find out.  The folk in that part of the world have a somewhat cavalier attitude to these things.  I did hear of someone who hid a shotgun cartridge in a log to find out who was nicking his wood.

Solvitur Ambulando

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 18:45:06, 18/09/18 »
Sold quite widely in France  O0
Where there's a will ...

humansnail

« Reply #18 on: 20:49:47, 18/09/18 »

Thanks for all of the feedback - some food for thought. If I do decide to give it a go I would definitely go late, leave early and make sure that the place was at least as tidy as it was before I arrived. I did think that it would be very unlikely that anyone would know that I was there at all, however the last thing I want to do is face any legal repercussions (highly unlikely I know.....
thanks for the input re that area sussamb and jimbob) or annoy anyone (the part about annoying folks with guns was in jest ;D ) for doing something just for a bit of fun.

I would be carrying a tent anyway as I guess there is no guarantee that just because a hut is usually unlocked that it would always be unlocked. If I do end up doing this, I think I will pitch my tent outside/nearby, clear up everything as soon as I've used it (e.g I won't leave cooking stuff lying around to tidy up in the morning) so that if anyone does happen to spot me and is not happy with me being there I can just apologise and move to my tent.

The main reason for wanting to do this was just to give me a bit of a focal point when exploring the North Penines, Ive been up and around cross fell, dun fell, little dun fell, melmerby fell, great stony hill, nine standards rigg, high cup nick and a few other places - I love the emptiness and openness of the area but I can't say that many of the other hills particularly excite me, so I thought having a night in these places and exploring other building symbols on the map would give me something to aim for. Just ordered Paddy Dillons book so hopefully that gives me lots of other ideas too.

Thanks again! O0

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 22:02:53, 18/09/18 »
We had our lunch in the one on the Pennine Way past the A66 to get out of the rain.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 10:14:16, 19/09/18 »
Thanks for the warning, ignorance is bliss, sometimes! Just like my ignorance when I wanted to wild camp along the GR4 in the South Of France in 2017. As soon as I started from Grasse, everytime I stopped for coffee, different people warned me about wild boar, wolves and agressive sheepdogs. At first I just dismissed it as locals winding up tourists!

I did see wild boar on my first night, I had a run in with an agressive sheepdog about a week later but I didn't see wolves. The wild boar, 4 of them, were at one end of a windy narrow boulder strewn footpath and kept slowly coming towards me. I was at the other end hoping they would take a detour, they didn't, so I scarpered back to the village I had walked through earlier!

I slept on village bench that night. After that I went back to camp sites. Nowadays, when I go to France I always look up the animals that are in a particular area.

I don't remember seeing any huts on this route.

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 12:06:13, 19/09/18 »
We had our lunch in the one on the Pennine Way past the A66 to get out of the rain.

so did I. It wasn't wet or particularly cold but it meant having a sit down and a welcome break O0
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

vizzavona

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 13:37:14, 19/09/18 »
Hello,
I have slept in a few 'shooters/beaters' huts in Scotland but  generally since there is a network of several hundred Bothies, highlands and lowlands, so getting a roof over your head especially in the insect biting season is not a big problem.

Doddy

« Reply #23 on: 15:10:50, 29/09/18 »

When they were open I have used shooting huts a couple of times to sleep in, saves the hassle of tent use and eating a meal on a table is better than sat on the ground, no stove windshield required. Leave them as you found. What`s not to like.

JimNarly

Hi all. Thanks for approved my account
« Reply #24 on: 07:31:02, 23/10/18 »
Hi all. I am new user from Switzerland and i would to present my opinion on it. Thanks

PS: Can i send PW message?

dav

« Reply #25 on: 14:04:02, 23/10/18 »
Shooters huts or Bothies. Bothies are looked after by the Mountain Bothies Association and they are available for anyone to take shelter and sleep in. The arrangement is with the agreement of the land or estate owner. Shooting huts are usually primarily for the use of members of the shooting organisation and not the general public. Obviously if one was open and it was late in the day you could probably get away with sleeping in it, the same goes for RSPB (Twitchers) bird observation huts/hides.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 15:58:12, 23/10/18 »
Jim you can certainly present your opinion.
Post your message regarding the PW (Pennine Way) in the correct area of the forum.

« Last Edit: 21:45:10, 23/10/18 by jimbob »
Too little, too late, too bad......

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy