Author Topic: TR - The River Kinder and Kinder Gates  (Read 1866 times)

adalard

• Veteran Member
TR - The River Kinder and Kinder Gates
« on: 14:39:36, 29/09/18 »
Afternoon all,

Just updated the blog with a new trip report: an epic adventure worthy of H. Rider Haggard as we followed the course of the mighty River Kinder from not quite its source to not quite - in fact not even close to - its end. Crocodiles, poisonous snakes, bandits and dangerous rapids are just some of the thrilling encounters we didn't have and which you won't find in this incredible tale of a half-day's wander across a peaty moor.  ;)

Image may contain: sky, mountain, grass, cloud, plant, outdoor and nature
Heading to Ringing Roger.

Image may contain: plant, tree, outdoor, nature and water
One of the waterfalls on the edge path.

Image may contain: mountain, sky, outdoor, nature and water
Kinder Gates

Image may contain: sky, mountain, outdoor, nature and water
The River Kinder.

Image may contain: cloud, sky, mountain, outdoor and nature
Heading back to Edale.

Image may contain: mountain, sky, cloud, grass, tree, outdoor and nature
Not far to the pub now...

As always, more photos and a full write-up here:

http://www.occasionallylost.com/2018/09/kinder-scout-river-kinder-and-kinder.html

Cheers,  O0

vghikers

• Veteran Member
Re: TR - The River Kinder and Kinder Gates
« Reply #1 on: 21:00:38, 29/09/18 »
Excellent expedition, there is nowhere quite like Kinder for this type of wild exploration and - especially - learning navigation. You feel like you're on another planet at times. That's absolutely right about the 3m-4m deep groughs: when crossing one and emerging the other side trying to 'hold the direction' in your head, you can easily be over 90 degrees in error.

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 21:41:16, 29/09/18 »
Enjoyed the TR and photos adalard    :)    I think it's fascinating to follow a river.  The Kinder may be modest in length but what wonderful scenery it passes through.

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 10:08:22, 01/10/18 »
Good stuff  O0
I've never heard the term "Kinder Gates", but only been once myself.
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

adalard

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 08:39:46, 02/10/18 »
Thanks everyone.  O0

Agreed, vghikers, and physically challenging as well as navigationally. We noticed some fairly large pools have formed now too, presumably because of the dams put in by Moors for the Future. Great for the restoration of Kinder's moorland ecology but an added complication if trying to follow a bearing I'd think!

It definitely is a beautiful landscape, Dovegirl. We enjoyed every minute of that walk along the river bank, it was over all too soon.  :)

I don't know where the name Kinder Gates comes from, Pleb - it's established enough to be on the OS map but I couldn't find anything about it online.

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 21:29:56, 02/10/18 »
Lovely photos and report adalard O0

Off up Kinder on Thursday, weather permitting.

Tracey :)
***Happiness is only a smile away***

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 16:38:10, 03/10/18 »

I enjoyed reading your full report, and looking at the photos, adalard; reminds me of the times I've been up on Kinder Scout many years ago.

I recall the first time I went up we crossed over from the Downfall towards Edale, what a boggy labyrinth! Your photos seem to indicate that the vegetation has recovered somewhat since then, as my recollection is blundering in and out of peaty ravines with hardly any grass in sight!

On another occasion, I lugged an ancient tea urn up to the Kinder Downfall, along with friends from my university mountaineering club - we were selling drinks to raise money for Edale Mountain Rescue and to fund a trip to the Alps (with permission from the National Park authorities, of course). Conditions were very dry; there was no water at all going over the edge, but we found a trickle at the foot of the cliffs from which we kept the urn supplied. Met all manner of people up there, and raised a fair bit of money. We even managed to sell two litres of water to some Army guys on a survival exercise!
« Last Edit: 17:46:23, 03/10/18 by richardh1905 »
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 17:45:28, 03/10/18 »
Enjoyed the TR and photos adalard    :)    I think it's fascinating to follow a river.  The Kinder may be modest in length but what wonderful scenery it passes through.

I really enjoyed my walk down the River Eidart and then the Feshie in the Cairngorms, way back in June. Although I didn't start at the source, I experienced a real sense of exploration through some very remote and dramatic scenery. Very satisfying.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 23:13:15, 03/10/18 »
Great write up and pics as usual adalard  O0
Hate will never win

adalard

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 09:02:31, 05/10/18 »
Thanks, Sunnydale, Richard and April.  :) O0

Hope you enjoyed your walk on Kinder, Sunnydale. We've been away for a few days and only got back late yesterday afternoon but it looked like it had been a fairly decent day weather-wise.

The vegetation has definitely bounced back, Richard. This was the first time I've walked across this corner of the plateau but I've seen photos of what it looked like before, some aerial, and the difference is amazing. I've noticed a difference at the eastern end of Kinder too, which I've crossed several times over the past few years.

Love the fund-raising idea, btw. A big mug of piping hot tea would've gone down at treat when we reached the Downfall.  :)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy