Author Topic: Where's the path  (Read 1069 times)

sussamb

• Veteran Member
Where's the path
« on: 16:31:40, 06/12/18 »
I know a few here use this mapping program, but it seems all good things may come to an end

« Last Edit: 17:01:54, 06/12/18 by sussamb »
Where there's a will ...

PeterDevon

Re: Where's the path
« Reply #1 on: 06:20:13, 07/12/18 »
Such a shame, I have used it a lot over the past years, very usefull for planning routes.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 08:44:33, 07/12/18 »
Such a shame, I have used it a lot over the past years, very usefull for planning routes.

Try Bing Maps - you get good satellite shots covering most of Britain, and OS mapping to 1:25000. Aerial views of some parts of the Highlands not so good though.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 08:49:37, 07/12/18 »
The good thing about Where's The Path was the instant side by side comparison of map and aerial view.

Greedy Google, don't they make enough money already?

I wonder if a similar fate awaits Bikehike?

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 08:51:23, 07/12/18 »
Stopped using bikehike because it had already happened, at least it seemed to have.
Where there's a will ...

happyhiker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 09:13:05, 07/12/18 »
Oh no! I have used this, especially for planning routes across access land. I noticed once or twice recently it had used up its daily quota.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 10:56:12, 07/12/18 »
I have grown quite fond of the OS app. Granted it requires a subscription but you get UK coverage with the option to switch between mapping, aerial imagery and a “standard” map as well as 3D aerial imagery and paths within national parks. I like the “snap to” feature for route plotting although at the moment it only works in national parks.
You also get the option to download other folks’ routes from it as per ViewRanger but they are free (once you have paid the sub).

It still has a way to go in some respects though - editing a previously published route is a pain. VR is better for that.
Solvitur Ambulando

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy