Author Topic: Cross Fell - any tips, advice & suggestions for good local campsites?  (Read 2632 times)

thisismusic

I've decided to walk up Cross Fell. I'm probably going to take the route from Great Dun Fell to Little Dun Fell and then up Cross Fell. I've not got a date set for this at the moment though it'll probably be last weekend in July or bank holiday weekend in August. The plan is to drive up on day one (4-5 hours), camp the night, walk on day two, camp again then come home on day 3.

If anyone has any tips, advice etc including a good local campsite that'd be smashing! Thanks very much :)

EDIT - Doh, posted this in the wrong region section didn't I. Would a mod be so kind as to move this? Sorry!
« Last Edit: 09:29:44, 17/06/08 by thisismusic »
“It seems to me that the natural world is the greatest source of excitement; the greatest source of visual beauty" - David Attenborough

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
The only campsite I know anything about is the one at Dufton, which isnt all that far from your planned walk.  Its on the Pennine way and, its OK - and near the pub for post-Cross-fell-conquest celebrations....
I'm assuming that you're wanting just the one campsite - for a circular walk? Otherwise the next official one is at Alston, although you can camp behind the village hall at Garrigill...
Other than that, your plan should be fairly straightforward.. your navigation skills might be tested on Cross fell summit, though - but there's nothing to fall off although there's some slight danger of disappearing down an unmarked mineshaft if you get off the path!
Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

See the blog!  www.northernpies.blogspot.com

titaniumdude

Dufton campsite is good and the pub is okay too (not much food for vegetarians mind).  Why not consider staying in Gregs hut, the bothy not far off the summit of Cross Fell.  I think it's actually marked on the OS map.
I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy