Author Topic: Mountain Warehouse clothing  (Read 1357 times)

fernman

• Veteran Member
Mountain Warehouse clothing
« on: 19:05:01, 27/02/17 »
For those who haven't seen it, this "news" item is little more than a publicity piece in my opinion:
https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/feb/27/mark-neales-scaling-up-his-mountain-warehouse-next-stop-america#comments
What makes the article interesting to me, though, is not so much its content but the 50+ comments by readers on outdoor gear in general.

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
Re: Mountain Warehouse clothing
« Reply #1 on: 20:52:06, 27/02/17 »

Comments are interesting.
I tend to agree with the people who say they get the base layers and cheap fleeces.
Though I prefer my posh icebreaker thermals, Aldi and MW aren't that bad for the price, and I keep trying to persuade myself that my posh Rab fleece is miles better than the cheapo MW one, but I'm not sure it's £40 better.

johhnyp

• Veteran Member
Re: Mountain Warehouse clothing
« Reply #2 on: 21:50:49, 01/03/17 »
Agree to a degree. Things like waterproof leggings; baselayers, gaiters, socks can be got safely from non fashionable brands. Boots on the other hand, I believe, are worth paying for and I feel that the quality of some household names is going south ( deliberately or otherwise). Got some Altberg Tethera recently and they retain a quality feel. Sacks can be hyped up a bit too much; as can waterproofs. The best jacket I ever had was a Trespass DLX ( bit heavy and didn't pack down too small but was solid and took me through some rough stuff).
If you only take one fleece make it a good one. Got a Montane Volt for 90 pounds; best investment I ever made on walking gear

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy