Author Topic: New 'quality' fleece or not bother?  (Read 5267 times)

mow1701

Re: New 'quality' fleece or not bother?
« Reply #30 on: 19:40:07, 04/01/19 »
Fleeces are warm but as soon as there is a wind I feel the cold unless it is a wind bloc fleece. Also fleeces are very bulky.  I have a rab synthetic jacket(generator)made with primaloft with a shower proof shell. It keeps me as warm as a heavy weight fleece even if  damp, is less bulky than a fleece and weigh less than a fleece. I think they do a newer version with a different name or montane prism jacket. Used as part of layering system in all seasons.
« Last Edit: 19:43:41, 04/01/19 by mow1701 »

Ronin83

« Reply #31 on: 23:19:40, 04/01/19 »
Wind isn't an issue as I can have my Berghaus waterproof shell on top.

I am still considering just taking my big ass, warm fishing jacket(I don't fish). We get to load 7kg each in a duffel bag which has to include the rest of clothes etc.

I've been looking and this is what I've found as budget synth down options...

https://www.craghoppers.com/cmb789-800-midas-vest-black/

https://www.craghoppers.com/craghoppers-compresslite-iii-hooded-jacket-deep-blue/

https://www.craghoppers.com/compresslite-vest-ii-black/

https://www.millets.co.uk/mens/081399-regatta-mens-icebound-iv-jacket-grey.html

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #32 on: 07:25:54, 05/01/19 »
If it is going to be carried by a horse, then you could go for a cheap jacket as weight isn't an issue, extra large so that you can throw it on over the top of everything. I would imagine that something like the Peter Storm Icebound would do the job.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Ronin83

« Reply #33 on: 12:36:26, 06/01/19 »
If it is going to be carried by a horse, then you could go for a cheap jacket as weight isn't an issue, extra large so that you can throw it on over the top of everything. I would imagine that something like the Peter Storm Icebound would do the job.

*Regatta icebound

Yeh, well that one and the craghoppers compresslite 3 are both really cheap on certain websites right now, so there certainly are options.

So my main question is... Do I really need one?
Who has spent time camping and hiking in -10(potentially)?

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
« Reply #34 on: 13:12:07, 06/01/19 »
By the sound of it, you'd do well with a cheap 100wt fleece by any brand you want (£10-20?) and buy a down gillet on top.  Most gillets have decent windproof fabric which will keep your core protected from gusts, it's a modular system so if you get too warm you can roll your sleeves up/take off the gillet and not have a single massive jacket.  Probably find one in sales around £60-80.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #35 on: 13:26:54, 06/01/19 »
As it is just for evening use, and you are not carrying it, I would even consider trawling any local charity shops for an old ski jacket.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #36 on: 15:41:57, 06/01/19 »
As I said I've spent a lot of time in the Andes, first time went for four months I took an old Ultimate Parka, hollfill insulation and reasonably light for the time (about 1kg). Worn over a base layer shirt (Northcape) and an old style Heli Hanson Blue fiber pile it wasn't warm enough at 5000m.
Second time I went for nearly nine months, this time I took a Rab down jacket same weight as the Ultimate parka but twice as warm. I also took a much warmer sleeping bag and was a lot more comfortable. I still have the down jacket it doesn't get used much in this country but when I go skiing especially in Scandinavia it always goes with me.
Camping out in -10C weather requires the right frame of mind, you seem to be taking it very lightly. "Can I get away without this" "do I really need that". Start taking it seriously or prepare to suffer. Get the best gear you can afford, you can always sell it on afterwards.       

Ronin83

« Reply #37 on: 15:59:07, 06/01/19 »
By the sound of it, you'd do well with a cheap 100wt fleece by any brand you want (£10-20?) and buy a down gillet on top.  Most gillets have decent windproof fabric which will keep your core protected from gusts, it's a modular system so if you get too warm you can roll your sleeves up/take off the gillet and not have a single massive jacket.  Probably find one in sales around £60-80.

Ill be taking/wearing a fleece anyway.
£60-80?  :-[ Oh ive found plenty much cheaper than that.

I saw the icebound IV in a shop today. Felt exactly like down! I was very surprised.

Ronin83

« Reply #38 on: 16:12:37, 06/01/19 »
As I said I've spent a lot of time in the Andes, first time went for four months I took an old Ultimate Parka, hollfill insulation and reasonably light for the time (about 1kg). Worn over a base layer shirt (Northcape) and an old style Heli Hanson Blue fiber pile it wasn't warm enough at 5000m.
Second time I went for nearly nine months, this time I took a Rab down jacket same weight as the Ultimate parka but twice as warm. I also took a much warmer sleeping bag and was a lot more comfortable. I still have the down jacket it doesn't get used much in this country but when I go skiing especially in Scandinavia it always goes with me.
Camping out in -10C weather requires the right frame of mind, you seem to be taking it very lightly. "Can I get away without this" "do I really need that". Start taking it seriously or prepare to suffer. Get the best gear you can afford, you can always sell it on afterwards.       

Thanks so much for your advice. That's really what I needed to know. Its been so mild here recently it's hard to imagine real cold. Gonna have to up my game...and convince the missus she needs one too.

The highest point is 4500m, but you don't camp there. They do also provide a proper winter sleeping bag rated to -18°c plus liner.

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #39 on: 16:15:55, 06/01/19 »
Not sure how many times it can be stated - yes you're gonna need a warm jacket.

I was backpacking recently and evening temps dropped to -5C.

I had a baselayer, fleece, light down jacket and Paramo jacket and I was bloody freezing and had to retreat to my sleeping bag. Next time I'll take a warmer jacket.

Ask the trip organisers for recommendations

Ronin83

« Reply #40 on: 17:16:56, 06/01/19 »
Not sure how many times it can be stated - yes you're gonna need a warm jacket.

No need for the attitude mate.
That wasn't even the subject

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #41 on: 17:27:28, 06/01/19 »

They do also provide a proper winter sleeping bag rated to -18°c plus liner.

It might be worth asking whether they also provide jackets/clothing. Who are you going with?

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #42 on: 17:38:16, 06/01/19 »
Just a tip, a silk balaclava weights next to nothing and slips into your pocket, their great for sleeping in. At -10C you can feel the mucus in your nasal passages start to freeze and "crackle". The temptation is to put your head in the sleeping bag, this leads to your breath forming condensation within the down, this then freezes not nice to wake up to. Putting on a balaclava keeps your head warmish so you can keep your face out of the sleeping bag. Also keep a pair of dry bed socks.   

Ronin83

« Reply #43 on: 17:42:05, 06/01/19 »

It might be worth asking whether they also provide jackets/clothing. Who are you going with?

No they dont.
Sleeping bags, walking poles are extras, but we got a special offer/package.
You actually stay in glass domes on 2 of the nights, but apparently they can be as cold as tents. Another night is in tents which are inside 'andean huts' which I guess adds extra cover for any serious rain.
It's certainly not the most hardcore version(we want to actually enjoy it), but not the wimpiest either(there's one which included too many buses and activities).

I know someone who just went to morrocco and half the kit recommended was a waste of time. Better safe than sorry though I guess

Salcantaytrekking.com

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #44 on: 20:00:39, 06/01/19 »

No need for the attitude mate.
That wasn't even the subject

Theres no attitude. I'm trying to help.

I was responding to your comment "do I really need one?"

Sorry if I've offended you.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy