Author Topic: Mobile phone GPS apps.  (Read 3144 times)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Re: Mobile phone GPS apps.
« Reply #15 on: 15:15:41, 09/05/20 »
To be more accurate, I rarely use a map these days. I just follow direction signs! If I get lost I'll just look at my phone map,

Johnny Thunder

« Reply #16 on: 17:08:28, 09/05/20 »
Thanks everyone. Plenty for me to look into.
I think I will start just with VR to save getting myself too confused with too much.
I have already installed OS Locate and this seems very straightforward.

glovepuppet

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 19:37:02, 09/05/20 »
Hi All

I've been following this thread with interest. I'm thinking of going for either Viewranger or OS Mapping app/web, but apart from the "how well do they work" part of the discussion, does anyone know whether, if you go for the Premium option, you can post maps to eg: a website (of your own) or social media from a technical perspective but also a copyright perspective?

Ideally, I'd like to go with just the one option with OS mapping included that will work for me.

As an added thought, Am I right in thinking the likes of Komoot, Wikliloc and Hiiker don't use OS mapping?

Thanks in advance

GP  O0

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 20:05:46, 09/05/20 »
I can't speak for the copyright aspect but publishing a map is easy.  Just take screenshot, crop it and publish it as an image,  I believe there is even software out there that will let you do it in one fell swoop but I have never had the need for it.
Solvitur Ambulando

geordie33

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 08:28:43, 10/05/20 »
I use Viewranger and it gives you the option to share on Facebook so presumably no copyright issue.There are easy screenshot apps on android and of course it is very simple to do on Windows.

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 08:47:05, 10/05/20 »
I use Viewranger and it gives you the option to share on Facebook so presumably no copyright issue.There are easy screenshot apps on android and of course it is very simple to do on Windows.
Just because VR let’s you share on FB doesn’t mean there are no copyright issues sharing OS maps. OS owns the copyright, not VR.

glovepuppet

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 11:32:27, 11/05/20 »
I can't speak for the copyright aspect but publishing a map is easy.  Just take screenshot, crop it and publish it as an image,  I believe there is even software out there that will let you do it in one fell swoop but I have never had the need for it.

Thanks for the info.  O0

I'm still looking into the options at the moment and am beginning to favour the Viewranger option based on functionality and good reviews. I think they have a free 7-day trial which I will have to have a look at when i have a bit of time to spare.

Thanks again to all who commented - and if anyone has any other thoughts or recommendations (eg: for Komoot, Hiiker, Wikiloc or similar) I'd be happy to hear about them.

All the best

GP  :)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 17:39:39, 11/05/20 »
The main reason I chose Wikiloc was that I could pay my full year fee and then immediately close down my card. I hate paying for these things so when the time comes I can choose to renew or not. The reason I chose Backcountry was first for the OS maps and secondly, it was a once-only cost. When I bought it it was less than £5 so it's proved itself by 2020 to be a really cheap buy. For a backup map I like Windy, good for when I'm in towns or villages, it too has trails marked, this time in red. For free IGN French maps with all GR routes clearly marked in purple and so easy to follow, I use Geoportail.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 18:03:54, 11/05/20 »
A little late to this thread. 

One note I have not spotted reading through.  If like me you purchase paper OS maps, then at the moment it appears you get the entire UK for free on the OS APP.  It used to be just the maps you had purchased.  O0  I have never paid a subscription, yet I can view the whole of the UK whilst out and about.  Not sure how it works out of signal range, as all the places I have walked with no signal, since I noticed this, have been places I have downloaded on to my phone.

strawy

« Reply #24 on: 18:16:27, 11/05/20 »
There are many ways to get "free" maps,same as "free" music..
Do i feel guilty ??
Sure i do
But ive been ripped off so many times before,so i reckon it evens itself out  :-[

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 18:23:27, 11/05/20 »

One note I have not spotted reading through.  If like me you purchase paper OS maps, then at the moment it appears you get the entire UK for free on the OS APP.  It used to be just the maps you had purchased.  O0  I have never paid a subscription, yet I can view the whole of the UK whilst out and about.  Not sure how it works out of signal range, as all the places I have walked with no signal, since I noticed this, have been places I have downloaded on to my phone.
The OS app has a download map for off-line use function.  If you have a route prepared, favourite the route and then download the map and you do not need a data signal for it to work.  VR has a similar feature.
Solvitur Ambulando

GoneWest

« Reply #26 on: 19:18:51, 11/05/20 »

Some time ago, when the bugs in the app started being a real nuisance, I noticed that this "feature" appeared for me, too. I got the impression that OS allowed this general access to keep people on board while they repaired tha app. Then they did fix it (a bit) and the feature disappeared. Then the bugs got worse again and I abandoned the app. Maybe they've brought the appeasement feature back while they try to fix the app again; I don't know because I've put my trust in VR instead.
I think the general access took the form of a temporary free subscription; you could cache the bits you wanted to, I believe. They did this because of bugs around loading and using the paper maps which people had already bought.
BTW I have an Android phone. Maybe the app still works tolerably well on iPhones, which might explain why some people still seem fairly happy with it.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 20:10:14, 11/05/20 »
The OS app works perfectly on my Android phone (Samsung A50).  Bugs long gone.
Solvitur Ambulando

geordie33

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 08:33:20, 12/05/20 »
The only problem I had with OS maps on android was that if I forgot to download offline maps before going out
I could not always get data in parts of the county so I could not use it.Other than that had no realms issues with how it operated.

Johnny Thunder

« Reply #29 on: 08:49:48, 12/05/20 »
If I subscribe to the OS Maps service, do I get it across all platform ie. VR too, or will I just get it in the OS Map app?

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy