Author Topic: Unusual walks anyone can recommend.  (Read 1608 times)

Toxicbunny

Unusual walks anyone can recommend.
« on: 22:48:08, 06/01/19 »
Hi,
I'm off to the lakes in a few weeks. I tend to like walks with something historical or unusual or quirky to see. I've done cathedral cave, castlerigg stone circle the bowder stone. I'm looking for some of the lesser known walks. Any suggestions appreciated. I normally do 8 - 14 miles. But I do like the walks that are not too touristy and crowded.

henryb

• Veteran Member
Re: Unusual walks anyone can recommend.
« Reply #1 on: 18:20:34, 07/01/19 »
Carron crag from Hawkshead to Coniston via Grizedale forest

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 19:04:02, 07/01/19 »

I always enjoy poking around old mine workings - Force Crag barytes mine in Coledale, for instance. A line of workings stretch up onto the hillside way above Force Crag, making an interesting route onto the hill. You could carry on over to Grasmoor, then back along the ridge to Braithwaite for a pint in the Coledale Inn. :)

Or take a peek at the Carrock Fell tungsten mine, a real quiet corner full of interest - "Carrock Fell tungsten mine and its early 20th century mill survives well. It is the only example of a tungsten mine outside Cornwall and contains a diverse and exceptionally impressive range of surface features." - Historic England
« Last Edit: 19:07:46, 07/01/19 by richardh1905 »
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Toxicbunny

« Reply #3 on: 20:32:23, 07/01/19 »
Thanks for those. I am going to plot some routes and upload to my etrex so I will add them to it.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 00:15:18, 08/01/19 »
There is some mine exploration in Coniston near Levers Water if you are careful.  There are also some mine workings at the top of Patterdale near Ruthwaite Lodge and adits on the way up to Rigghead from Rossthwaite.  Try to find the stone age axe factories in Langdale.  Then there is the secret cave in the Langstrath Valley.  I will say no more - the fun is in finding out.
Solvitur Ambulando

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 01:17:48, 08/01/19 »
Yes, for advise please refer to the Monty Python guide:- they even did a film   :D
Only a hill but all of life to me, up there between the sunset and the sea. 
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

Lakeland Lorry

« Reply #6 on: 08:40:29, 08/01/19 »
The old graphite mines at Seathwaite in Borrowdale are interesting to visit, even more so if combined with a visit to the Pencil Factory Museum in Keswick (on a wet and windy day).   

There is lots of info about the Seathwaite graphite mines on the Internet.  Just Google:  seathwaite plumbago mine

Some good photos of the mines here:  http://www.markrichards.info/publications/lakeland-fellranger/the-western-fells/grey-knotts_1.html

A good walk to do to take them in would be to start at the National Trust car park at Seatoller and walk along the road towards Seathwaite.   At Seathwaite Bridge take the path on your right and follow it past the ancient Borrowdale Yews (read up about them first) to reach Newhouse Gill.   Here you'll find a track, which isn't marked on the map, which heads uphill towards the various mine entrances.   You can then continue to climb uphill towards Grey Knotts and then follow the fence line to Brandreth.   From there you can head down towards Dubs Bottom and Little Round How (maybe include a quick out and back to Haystacks) and then head east along the old Drum track to Honister Slate Mine (have a look at the history display in the shop at the mine).   From Honister, head downhill in the direction of Seatoller, following the road first before picking up the old mine road to Seatoller.

Not sure of the distance, but it's a walk I've done lots of times and can take a full day by the time you've looked at everything.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 08:58:43, 08/01/19 »
I always enjoy poking around old mine workings....  (snip)

Please note that I am not advocating venturing underground!

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 09:01:12, 08/01/19 »
The old graphite mines at Seathwaite in Borrowdale are interesting to visit, even more so if combined with a visit to the Pencil Factory Museum in Keswick (on a wet and windy day).   

There is lots of info about the Seathwaite graphite mines on the Internet.  Just Google:  seathwaite plumbago mine

I know someone who explored these mines many years ago -  he testified to the effectiveness of graphite as a lubricant of abseil ropes!

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 14:51:52, 08/01/19 »

I know someone who explored these mines many years ago -  he testified to the effectiveness of graphite as a lubricant of abseil ropes!
Now there's a thing that seems contra-intuitive - I would have thought it would be preferable to have friction (or at least a degree of it) on an abseil rope. I don't mind abseiling but always want to do it at a pace that I'm comfortable with. Wouldn't fancy speeding off down the rope because somebody had recently greased it up  :o   Unless of course you happen to be Bond or Tom Cruise   :D
Only a hill but all of life to me, up there between the sunset and the sea. 
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy