Author Topic: Request for easy Lakedistrict fells for very overweight hiker  (Read 27923 times)

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
Having put Arthur's Pike from Pooley Bridge on the back burner for this week (not getting up early enough at my speed, it's about 8 miles) so I'm planning to tackle Orrest Head but this is a very short walk, can anyone recommend any short walks in the Windermere station area to fill out the day? It seems a shame to go all the way to Windermere for such a short walk but I'm running out of time to plan this walk for tomorrow so Orrest Head is almost certainly where I'm going.

Also, do you think Arthur's Pike from Pooley Bridge is suitable? Ninthace recommended doing it from closer but I think it looks OK to do it from Pooley Bridge? Is there anything I don't know that would make it unsuitable? I was planning on doing this route with another 1.75 or so miles added on to walk to and from public transport in Pooley Bridge.
« Last Edit: 19:25:13, 30/10/18 by Rob Goes Walking »

ninthace

• Veteran Member
I’ve only got stuff on the other side from the ferry that I used to use to kill time while my car was being serviced in Bowness. Let me know if you are interested and I send you a link.
Solvitur Ambulando

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
I’ve only got stuff on the other side from the ferry that I used to use to kill time while my car was being serviced in Bowness. Let me know if you are interested and I send you a link.

Yeah I'm interested, I don't know if I'll have enough time to do it now the clocks have gone back but I can always decide that after seeing how much time I've got left after Orrest Head tomorrow.

April

• Veteran Member
Pooley Bridge to Arthurs Pike is perfectly suitable  :)

Hate will never win

ninthace

• Veteran Member

Yeah I'm interested, I don't know if I'll have enough time to do it now the clocks have gone back but I can always decide that after seeing how much time I've got left after Orrest Head tomorrow.

Here you go.

http://www.haroldstreet.org.uk/routes/download/?walk=2697
http://www.haroldstreet.org.uk/routes/download/?walk=2192
https://www.gpsies.com/map.do?fileId=nixrnwwggqldzcak
Solvitur Ambulando

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
Thanks April and ninthace.

Strider

• Veteran Member
can anyone recommend any short walks in the Windermere station area to fill out the day?

When you get back to the hotel from Orrest Head, continue west along the road then take the path over Adelaide Hill to Millerground then south along the shore to the museum. 

There's a small hill, Brant Fell, just outside Bowness, you could give that a look.  https://www.theaa.com/walks/brant-fell-above-the-bustle-of-bowness-on-windermere-420664
Not all those who wander are lost

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
When you get back to the hotel from Orrest Head, continue west along the road then take the path over Adelaide Hill to Millerground then south along the shore to the museum. 

There's a small hill, Brant Fell, just outside Bowness, you could give that a look.  https://www.theaa.com/walks/brant-fell-above-the-bustle-of-bowness-on-windermere-420664

Thanks Strider (Windermere Jetty Museum of Boats, Steam and Stories right?) I can't see a path on any of the maps along the shore (why isn't it on any maps?) but I can see one on Google maps satellites. I'll see if I get enough time to fit in Brant Fell too!
« Last Edit: 21:54:37, 30/10/18 by Rob Goes Walking »

chriscab

There are some good routes in the Lakes that are not hilly - old keswick railway line, forest tracks etc.

In order to make walking a habit, it is sometimes best to make things ultra easy to begin with. Even small hills can be challenging depending on how you are feeling on the day.

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
There are some good routes in the Lakes that are not hilly - old keswick railway line, forest tracks etc.

But I am looking for hills :) That's what the thread is about.

In order to make walking a habit, it is sometimes best to make things ultra easy to begin with. Even small hills can be challenging depending on how you are feeling on the day.

I don't want walking to be a habit, it's a pleasure for me. I also don't mind challenging myself, when I said easy fells I meant easy to most hill walkers, not easy to me, because lugging up the many extra stones I carry means that what is easy for them may be somewhat challenging to me. The thread started from Loughrigg from the Terrace, it was described as an "easy" fell but the steps didn't look easy to me at all, they actually looked quite dangerous and I wasn't sure it was within my fitness levels at this weight either (they looked like they went on for a long time and there was nowhere on the way up to take a rest).

I also hope other overweight people who want to go fell walking will perhaps come and look at this thread and find fells they can tackle, it's why I post the results of my walks with bits other novice fell walkers might find problematic (if any).
« Last Edit: 23:01:03, 30/10/18 by Rob Goes Walking »

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
Rob, I am very similar to you. I am overweight and it takes a lot more effort to drag myself uphill. However, there is something about being in the hills that lowland walks just can’t seem to deliver. In my opinion the extra effort is worthwhile, as long as we don’t overdo it and cause injuries. Downhill can be worse due to the extra strain on our joints, but I have found that walking poles definitely help. I also find that it does get easier and my fitness levels improve, even if my weight doesn’t significantly reduce.

One benefit of going for the slightly lower, easier hills is that there will be less people completing tick lists and more room for us.

photonut

Hello Rob,

Have you thought about walking to Troutbeck Tongue?  You can park on the A592 (lots of roadside parking) near Limefitt Holiday Park. There are several ways to meander your way to the northern end of Troutbeck Tongue and an easy ascent is to be had with a very rewarding view once on the summit.  The descent (if you choose it) can be steep or you can retrace your steps to the main path.

Going clockwise - Heading from the A592 head up to towards Town Head, Ing Lane, Ing Bridge, Hagg Bridge, turn right at Hall Hill then continue on the path to the northern end of Troutbeck Tounge.  The OS map does not show a path along the spine of the fell but there is most definitely one.  On your descent, whichever way you elect, cross Hagg Gill by the footbridge and follow the path to Limefitt Holiday park.  There is a path (public right of way) through the park which will get you back to the A592.

Cheers
Lee

Mel

• Veteran Member

Cheers for that  O0   It's perfect for my "leg stretch walk on the way" to my January Ambleside Adventure  :)

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
Rob, I am very similar to you. I am overweight and it takes a lot more effort to drag myself uphill. However, there is something about being in the hills that lowland walks just can’t seem to deliver. In my opinion the extra effort is worthwhile, as long as we don’t overdo it and cause injuries. Downhill can be worse due to the extra strain on our joints, but I have found that walking poles definitely help. I also find that it does get easier and my fitness levels improve, even if my weight doesn’t significantly reduce.

One benefit of going for the slightly lower, easier hills is that there will be less people completing tick lists and more room for us.

Don't get me wrong, I like low level walks too but you're right, there's something about the hills. My knees have already suffered, I've got some walking poles now but still haven't used them yet.

Have you thought about walking to Troutbeck Tongue?

Thanks Lee, I have put this on the someday list as I am currently limited to public transport and I couldn't find any public transport near to there.

Well, I visited Orrest Head. This was easy although the very last stony bit was a bit slippery in the rain and I had to look for another way back down as going back down it seemed a bit dangerous if it could be avoided (I wasn't the only one, there were other people I followed back down who said they felt the same). The rain ruined the views and the path I chose wasn't really what I look for on a walk, there was a woodland path I had intended to take on the way back down but I got confused and thought that I'd missed it with my detour from the top (should have looked at ViewRanger) so I didn't explore the woodland walk which I think would have been better.

Didn't go on to do the other short walks as I had the hump the rain had ruined the views and my so-called waterproof jacket had allowed water into the pockets (and the arms, although I think a fair bit of the arms was sweat) so I went to a pub in Windermere (The Crafty Baa, do recommend checking this pub out as it served about 100 different beers, literally, and in frozen glasses at that) and then later got off the train and explored Kendal on my way home.

Thanks for suggesting it John I will go back when it isn't raining to experience the views and check out the woodland walk.

This was by far the easiest hill I've done yet if anyone reading this wonders.
« Last Edit: 23:02:53, 31/10/18 by Rob Goes Walking »

April

• Veteran Member
Have you thought about walking to Troutbeck Tongue?

I have put this on the someday list as I am currently limited to public transport and I couldn't find any public transport near to there.

The 508 stops at Limefitt Park, Troutbeck when the buses are on the summer timetable so it can be done using the bus. It's a good suggestion from photonut, a nice walk up the valley and the fell is an interesting one to climb. The summer timetable starts on 6 Apr 19 so you have a bit of a wait.
Hate will never win

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy