Author Topic: What are the best walking routes to Scafell Pike with maps?  (Read 9426 times)

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
So we tackled Scafell Pike on Tuesday last week, after doing Haystacks on Monday in preparation.  We set off early, parking at Seathwaite farm at 7.15, there were only 3 or 4 cars there then. We picked a good day, mostly cloudy so not too hot, but still clear. We went up via Esk Hause and back down the corridor route.  We saw hardly anyone heading up but there were quite a few at the top and heading up from Wasdale.  A few more people around when we were heading down. The reported “bad step” was perfectly manageable, I think the boulder field and scree on the way up was worse! And a bit of a scramble up Haystacks was probably harder. We finished off the week with walks to Walla Crag, Watendlath and Castle Crag, so a great few days!  :)
I would say that Scafell Pike by this route is technically harder than Snowdon via Rhydd dhu and Snowdon Ranger, as to which I prefer, I’m not sure I can choose, they were both great! Now for Ben Nevis (September) . I am thinking that we won’t enjoy that so much and it may be a slog up and down with lots of people as we can’t choose a quieter, prettier route. But hey, we’re doing it anyway. And can we be lucky with the weather yet again?

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Good luck with Ben Nevis, rural roamer. You are right about it being a slog - a 1344m staircase, and my calf muscles still ache 2 days later! And I have never seen so many people on a summit - Snowdon included.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
My favourite is up from Eskdale.
https://my.viewranger.com/route/details/MTUxNzY=
Walking routes visiting ancient sites in Britain's uplands: http://www.archaeoroutes.co.uk

wildCAMPER

Well it's been a long-time since I posted on this thread - but took some mates up Scafell Pike the other week - unfortunately Piers Gill as recommended by some of you looked at bit tricky after the wet weather and it was very windy - so opted for the safer Corridor Route again - the weather cleared so some nice views where to be had - here's some photos!

Styhead Tarn!

Hoping we didn't need this!

Looking across the Corridor Route:

Looking towards Piers Gill - maybe another time!

Nearly at the summit off Scafell Pike!

View from the top of England!

fernman

• Veteran Member
Lovely pictures WildCamper, and you're a nice person for coming back after 5 months to post an update on your thread; what a pity every user of this forum isn't like that.

wildCAMPER

Lovely pictures WildCamper, and you're a nice person for coming back after 5 months to post an update on your thread; what a pity every user of this forum isn't like that.

Thanks - I’d like to use the forum more often but life takes over - don’t do as much walking as I’d like

clyoung

• Veteran Member
Great pictures!

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
Lovely pictures.

If I ever do Scarfell Pike again, I think the corridor route may well be taken.  First time we scrambled up Cust Gully on a rainy day.  That required a rope for two small waterfalls..  We did every promenance named on the massive that day, apart from Lingmell.. So the corridor route or Pikes Gill would sort that out.

Best of luck on Ben Nevis.  The only way I have climbed the Ben thus far is via the CMD Arete and that was another cold foggy winter's day. So no one else about.  The route along the arete is an lumpy walk not really a scramble. It is a long day though. But so worth the effort.  I plan to be back there just as soon as I can be.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy