Author Topic: How do you combat boredom?  (Read 8493 times)

AFANASIEW

How do you combat boredom?
« on: 13:54:09, 05/10/18 »
A friend who's training for the London Marathon asked this question of me. We've all been there, on a long tarmac section, on a Forestry Commission track with no views, where you're just plodding along to eat up the miles. How do you occupy your mind?
It's simple - one foot in front of the other.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
Re: How do you combat boredom?
« Reply #1 on: 14:34:36, 05/10/18 »
Sing ...
Where there's a will ...

harland

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 14:56:51, 05/10/18 »
My wife asked me that when I walked the SWCP for 5 weeks.  The real answer is I don't know!  However there is always something to look at, if that fails I think of lunch or a shower and a drink in the pub in the evening.  I must remember not to walk with sussamb! ;D

dav

« Reply #3 on: 15:24:10, 05/10/18 »
Walk faster, no time to get bored! Running training for a marathon I would focus on visualisation of how i was going to run the race and imagine myself running strongly and cruising along. Ive done that many times and not even noticed that long steep hill that I am now on top of, that I usually struggle on.

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 15:58:24, 05/10/18 »
Podcasts.  Originally music, but as I ran and hiked more and more I started to listening to 'talky' shows which takes you out of the feeling tired and bored.  At this point I subscribe to over 100 podcasts so there's always something to listen to on my phone.  There's nothing wrong with many hours of introspection, but after a certain amount of this (esp with poor weather) I prefer to have something to listen to.

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 16:53:04, 05/10/18 »
Its impossible to get bored with life, as there are so many things to do, and places to see.
Ive just returned from a great day out to Birdsowald  Roman fort on Hadrians wall.
The weather was not the best, but at least it was dry, and i was able to tick off the last Roman fort on the wall.

No its impossible to be bored, life is far too short for that.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 17:20:01, 05/10/18 »
I must remember not to walk with sussamb! ;D

Cheek  ;D .  I do only do it when no one else is around  O0
Where there's a will ...

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 19:13:03, 05/10/18 »
Work harder and focus on the pain. Just kidding. 

I don't think I do long enough walks to get bored.  Plus the veiws at every new headland are breathtaking, on the SWCP.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 19:21:33, 05/10/18 »
I only get bored if whatever I'm doing is a "chore" ... an arduous task that "has" to be undertaken.

.... so I never get bored on a walk because I'm doing it by choice, because I want to and because I enjoy it.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 19:25:46, 05/10/18 »
I too sing, talk to sheep, I bah, they bah, sometimes I bah-bah, not often they reply! I also play some music, have a bit of a dance around, especially when the music momics my walking pattern (Respect by Aretha Franklin is good) I think of good ideas and jot them down, its very  hard work hiking! One bloke I know learns and recites poetry! Sometimes I dwell on an up to date topic, think of the questions and the answers to why its crazy to leave the EU for example! Sorry, couldn't resist it! Last but not least I often go over memories of my life, very entertaining at times but often depressing as well.

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 20:52:39, 05/10/18 »
I never seem to get bored on a walk as I always find something of interest in my surroundings. If ccasionally it becomes a bit of a trudge I just plod on.

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 22:24:49, 05/10/18 »
Just imagining sussamb and gunwharfman crossing paths on their walks  ;D

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 07:49:07, 06/10/18 »
 ;D
Where there's a will ...

AFANASIEW

« Reply #13 on: 07:49:41, 06/10/18 »
My answer was that I spend quite a lot of time working out timings and converting kms on my Viewranger to miles.
'Calling Elvis' nicely matches my pace when cracking on.
It's simple - one foot in front of the other.

fit old bird

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 18:02:32, 06/10/18 »
If I have a long flat straight stretch to do I separate my brain from my body, my legs move on automatic pilot without me thinking about it. I take my mind off somewhere else, usually bring up memories from my childhood and teenage years. I have conversations with myself, do you remember......and I wonder what happened to......

I think about all the jobs I have done, all the places I have been to, all the people I have known, and the relationships I have had. I have had a very interesting life.

I learnt this tactic while driving long distances on motorways, sometimes having very little memory of the 250 miles I had just driven. I always reached my destination without incident.  :)

And yes, I talk to sheep and cows, and sing.

ilona

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy