Author Topic: Hello again.  (Read 871 times)

Bhod

• Veteran Member
Hello again.
« on: 11:49:19, 16/01/20 »
Just thought I'd say Hi, not been on for a while.  Lost my walking mojo last year after a couple of injuries (hamstring, calf) and then work and homelife seemed to always be at the forefront, but in reality I used them as an excuse not to do any walking.

Now back on it, trying to build up some hill fitness and stamina with  an hours excercise bike a day (half hour in the morning, half hour at night) and a walk every other week.  Had my first walk in 12 months last week, Whernside circular, went the opposite way round to the Y3P route though, ie Winterscales Beck, Broadrake, Bruntscar, acroos the top and down via Force Gill and Little Dale, took longer than expected but still very happy with a touch over 8 miles on the clock.  Rest day tis Sunday but already planning next weeks Sunday outing.
I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake.

Jac

• Veteran Member
Re: Hello again.
« Reply #1 on: 15:35:29, 16/01/20 »
Welcome back and welcome back to walking
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 17:58:42, 16/01/20 »
Welcome back from Manchester  :)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 19:34:10, 16/01/20 »
Welcome from Portsmouth. Is my injury the same as yours? Rear lower leg, some sharp pains for a while now just left with a dull ache and the feeling the muscle has gone taught and won't loosen? Particularly noticeable when I walk and flex my feet normally, I limp a bit to compensate. Slow to repair as well.

Bhod

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 21:39:44, 16/01/20 »
Welcome from Portsmouth. Is my injury the same as yours? Rear lower leg, some sharp pains for a while now just left with a dull ache and the feeling the muscle has gone taught and won't loosen? Particularly noticeable when I walk and flex my feet normally, I limp a bit to compensate. Slow to repair as well.

Don't think so, I went to leap pver a fairly big puddle on my daily walk with the dogs and felt the calf muscle in the leg I took off with go 'ping', resulted in a very sore calf muscle which had a tendency to  react badly (and painfully) to being stretched, I'd nurse it for a while and just when I thought it had begun to get better, it would 'ping' again and I'd be back to square one.  The Hamstring went as a direct result of the Calf muscle, protecting the injured  leg as you do tends to put pressure on the other one, climbing a flight of stairs I suddenly felt a tightness in the hamstring followed by a series of muscle spasms, thinking it was just cramp I tried to stretch through it, big mistake I just made it worse.  To cut a long story short, both injuries hung on and hung on, I was fine walking normally but the least amount of exertion would see me back to square one pain wise, but a combination of rest, gentle excercise and umpteen sessions with a sports injury therapist seems to have done the trick.
I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 07:45:27, 20/01/20 »
Welcome back, Bhod. :)
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 21:39:03, 21/01/20 »
Hi and welcome back O0

Tracey :)