Author Topic: Improvements/innovations.  (Read 1100 times)

Pitboot

Improvements/innovations.
« on: 14:37:22, 18/10/19 »
What simple improvements would you like to see made on outdoor gear?

(Please let's keep it basic, cheap, non electronic, and practicable, no "unobtainium" poles for a nano weight tent, or floating back packs.)

I'll start the ball rolling with a discrete outer pocket on a rucksack, with a security clip fitted inside, so that you are not rummaging inside the pack when you need your car keys or loose change. Yes, you can use a trouser or jacket pocket, I like all my every day stuff out of my pockets. The security clips on most packs, that I have seen, are inside a small pocket inside the main compartment.

I suppose an easy fix would be to get a clip then attach it with dyneema or something, attach it securely to the outside of the pack and then tuck the keys away in a water bottle pocket, but there must be a neater solution.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Re: Improvements/innovations.
« Reply #1 on: 14:51:57, 18/10/19 »
My Osprey Kestrel pack has the clip you seek attached to an elastic strap just inside the outer zip up pocket on the pack lid. No need to open the main pack to find it.

My invention would be memory trekking poles that return to the last length setting when you extend them.
Solvitur Ambulando

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 15:57:00, 18/10/19 »
Decent adjustable belts on overtrousers, in place of the daft elastic pull cords.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 16:38:18, 18/10/19 »
My Osprey Kestrel pack has the clip you seek attached to an elastic strap just inside the outer zip up pocket on the pack lid. No need to open the main pack to find it.

As does my Lowe Alpine pack, may be time for a new sac PitBoot  O0
Where there's a will ...

Pitboot

« Reply #4 on: 17:11:20, 18/10/19 »
A great common sense suggestion. Sadly not compatible with marital harmony  :-\ .

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 17:34:11, 18/10/19 »

As does my Lowe Alpine pack

Ditto my Vaude Jura 30.
A split plastic ring, red so you see it quicker, fixed in the upper corner of a full-size zipped compartment inside the lid pocket. Simplicity itself.

Decent adjustable belts on overtrousers, in place of the daft elastic pull cords.

The same goes for gaiters, something better than the elastic pull cords that pain the top of your calves when you do them up tight enough to stop them slipping down all the time.
« Last Edit: 17:40:12, 18/10/19 by fernman »

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 18:48:29, 18/10/19 »
It's a pity that unobtainium has been disallowed (although Oakley does spell it slightly differently)...

Oakley, Inc. also frequently denotes the material used for many of their eyeglass nosepieces and earpieces, which has the unusual property of increasing tackiness and thus grip when wet, as unobtanium. (Wikipedia)

Imagine boot and shoe soles made from it...  O0
Walk, Jog, Run : our YouTube video channel.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 19:09:57, 18/10/19 »
Something better than Velcro!

Strider

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 19:20:18, 18/10/19 »
Keyclip:  my Osprey and Berghaus packs both have one, inside the top pocket.  Wouldn't be difficult to sew a clip on a short cord onto a hem though, and cheaper than a new pack ;)

Belt on overtrousers: another vote here.  And in the case of Berghaus Deluge..... 'FRONT' and 'BACK' written inside the waistband, I'm sure some of you know what I mean :)

The same goes for gaiters, something better than the elastic pull cords that pain the top of your calves when you do them up tight enough to stop them slipping down all the time.
One of the reasons I disliked gaiters, until (at forum member Glyno's recommendation) I bought a pair of Outdoor Research Crocodiles which have a strip of webbing instead of a bungee cord.  You forget you're wearing them.

Velcro:  you can buy heavy-duty press studs for not much, they have to be hammered on, and need quite a bashing but work OK.  I modified a jacket which has a removable hood as the Velcro wasn't strong enough to keep the hood on in strong winds.

« Last Edit: 19:26:13, 18/10/19 by Strider »
Not all those who wander are lost

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 20:07:35, 18/10/19 »
What are all the external loops, both large and small and the other twiddly bits on rucksacks for?

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 20:12:25, 18/10/19 »
A great common sense suggestion. Sadly not compatible with marital harmony  :-\ 

;D
Where there's a will ...

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 20:15:00, 18/10/19 »
What are all the external loops, both large and small and the other twiddly bits on rucksacks for?

Walking poles possibly  :-\ . Some external loops are for hanging stuff on, or strapping stuff to.
Where there's a will ...

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 21:06:19, 18/10/19 »
  If have used mine for poles, ice axes. snowshoes, rolled up fleeces etc.  The world is your oyster!
Solvitur Ambulando

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 22:25:26, 18/10/19 »
 O0 O0 O0
Where there's a will ...

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy