Author Topic: Cairngorms  (Read 3290 times)

myxpyr

Cairngorms
« on: 08:46:28, 10/05/20 »
Still looking at options for post-lockdown activities.

As an alternative (or a return route) for the Lairig Ghru I've been looking on the map at the route from Linn of Dee to Aviemore area via the Hutchison Memorial Hut, Ben Macdui abd the Ski Centre - or the reverse thereof. I believe there is a bus service between Aviemore and the ski centre which could be used to avoid a long tarmac bash.
I'd be interested to hear from anyone who's done this route. The map indicates a path all the way. I imagine the only navigational problems might occur on the "plateau" of Ben Macdui in poor visibility.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Re: Cairngorms
« Reply #1 on: 08:54:11, 10/05/20 »
There is a bus service from Aviemore to Glenmore; I have used it. There is also the old logging trail, a walking route that runs parallel to the road.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 09:16:09, 10/05/20 »
The bus does go all the way to the ski centre, No23 if I remember rightly. It was running hourly last summer.

There is a good path all along the route you're looking at. There's a few different ways up onto the plateau, all good. The way to Macdui is marked by about 50,000 cairns, it's hard to see how anyone could get lost up there. The start of the path down from the summit to the Hutchison is a bit indistinct at first, it's all scree. Gets better as you descend. The rest of your route is on well made paths. Enjoy.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 19:58:25, 10/05/20 »
I've been looking at the map - so many possibilities from Linn of Dee to Aviemore.

snoopdawg

« Reply #4 on: 20:05:44, 10/05/20 »
Two reports by myself, not quite where you want to be in full but gives you a flavour of the ground.

http://www.walkingforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=33413.0

http://www.walkingforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=39207.0

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 08:26:19, 11/05/20 »
Excellent TRs, Snoopdawg - my first read of the first one. I do fancy a trip up Glen Tilt, and those views from your Ben Macdui day...

myxpyr

« Reply #6 on: 10:52:28, 11/05/20 »
Two reports by myself, not quite where you want to be in full but gives you a flavour of the ground.

http://www.walkingforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=33413.0

http://www.walkingforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=39207.0
I enjoyed that. Glen Tilt looks very tempting and I've studied it several times on the map O0

watershed

« Reply #7 on: 10:54:43, 11/05/20 »
Excellent reports Snoopdawg. they have given me itchy feet.
Having to take it easy for a couple of days after nicking my back gardening, hope to be back out soon.
« Last Edit: 11:05:34, 11/05/20 by watershed »

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 12:49:12, 11/05/20 »
I enjoyed that. Glen Tilt looks very tempting and I've studied it several times on the map O0

Don't miss out on Glen Feshie either - one of the most beautiful, wild and tranquil places that I have ever visited.

Vincent82

« Reply #9 on: 13:34:16, 21/05/20 »
Hello

I was about to create a discussion and saw this one. I was also thinking of doing something end of summer if possible. I live in London and I can see that I can go to Aviemore by train fairly easily if the trains are running (or Kingussie).

Would it make sense to go to Aviemore and hike in the Cairngorms from there? I don't drive so I wouldn't be able to rent a car.

I could book an hotel now for August, some of them offer free cancellations. And I'll see in August if the situation has improved enough.

Thank you

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 13:50:40, 21/05/20 »
Hello

I was about to create a discussion and saw this one. I was also thinking of doing something end of summer if possible. I live in London and I can see that I can go to Aviemore by train fairly easily if the trains are running (or Kingussie).

Would it make sense to go to Aviemore and hike in the Cairngorms from there? I don't drive so I wouldn't be able to rent a car.

I could book an hotel now for August, some of them offer free cancellations. And I'll see in August if the situation has improved enough.

Thank you

The hills are perhaps a little distant from Aviemore for day walking, unless you are prepared to put in some long days. There is the bus up to Glen More for Ben Macdui and Cairngorm itself, and also the Meall a Bhuchaille ridge, but other hills will involve quite a long walk in. Plenty of good lower level walking around Aviemore though.

Of course, if you wild camp (or have/hire a mountain bike to help with the walk ins) then a whole range of possibilities exist.

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 14:24:29, 21/05/20 »
Train from London via Edinburgh to Aviemore would be an easy option. You can even get an overnight sleeper. There's lots of hotels, guest houses etc to suit your budget in and around the town or at Glenmore. The Cairngorms, covers a huge area and public transport is poor so doing some planning before you get here would help.

Vincent82

« Reply #12 on: 14:30:39, 21/05/20 »
Thank you. It sounds like it's doable then.

Yes I'd like to be closer to the mountains so I'll look into that.

sparnel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 19:16:53, 21/05/20 »
Recommend the Grampian Hotel.....right in the town centre opposite the railway station.
Stayed there many times......live music every night in the bar. Great craic!

Vincent82

« Reply #14 on: 17:37:42, 28/05/20 »
I am also tempted by Fort William / Glencoe now. What a dilemma.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy