Author Topic: Well that's another pair of boots wrecked.  (Read 2979 times)

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Well that's another pair of boots wrecked.
« on: 08:27:58, 05/09/20 »
Boots only seem to last me about a year, nowadays. Was walking through a bog on Thursday when I felt an unpleasant wet sensation down the inside of my left foot. Closer inspection revealed that the leather had completely split for a length of 4-5cm where it joins the rand. This is despite me regularly waxing the boots. Some deep cracks at the flex point above the toes, too.  They were Brasher Hillmasters (past tense as they are now completely unusable). And I had just put in a new pair of laces that very morning!

PS - and so much for the so called waterproof lining! >:(
« Last Edit: 09:12:10, 05/09/20 by richardh1905 »
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Rivingtonboots

Re: Well that's another pair of boots wrecked.
« Reply #1 on: 09:37:08, 05/09/20 »
Boots only seem to last me about a year, nowadays. Was walking through a bog on Thursday when I felt an unpleasant wet sensation down the inside of my left foot. Closer inspection revealed that the leather had completely split for a length of 4-5cm where it joins the rand. This is despite me regularly waxing the boots. Some deep cracks at the flex point above the toes, too.  They were Brasher Hillmasters (past tense as they are now completely unusable). And I had just put in a new pair of laces that very morning!

PS - and so much for the so called waterproof lining! >:(

I prefer synthetic summer boots rather than winter ones even when the going gets wet, because of the comfort factor.
The downside is they don't last long.I'm on my second pair of Jack Wolfskin and because of covid/early retirement I've upped the mileage and the second pair have lasted less time than the first.

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 10:17:37, 05/09/20 »
If you're sticking at the budget end of the market it might be worth having a close look at the Anatom Q2 Classic or the Anatom Q3 Braeriach or the Hi-Tec Summit or something from the Grisport range although do watch out for Grisport trying to palm you off with creased leather customer returns.

Berghaus quality these days definitely isn't what it used to be in the good old days!  ;)

The other alternative is to save some more pennies and go upmarket for better quality longer lasting boots. Despite what some people may think with boots you actually do get what you pay for.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 10:59:03, 05/09/20 »
Berggaus has been a logo only, fir quite a few years now. They  were one of the "names" bought out by venture capitalists to make a quick quid before the whole stable is moved on for cash.

Makes interesting reading.
Too little, too late, too bad......

Birdman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 14:37:17, 05/09/20 »
For me it's common to have leather boots starting to leak after ~500km but leather really breaking to the point that the boots become unusable I have never experienced that.
My travel and walking reports: https://www.hikingbirdman.com/

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 16:02:18, 05/09/20 »
If you're sticking at the budget end of the market it might be worth having a close look at the Anatom Q2 Classic or the Anatom Q3 Braeriach or the Hi-Tec Summit or something from the Grisport range although do watch out for Grisport trying to palm you off with creased leather customer returns.

Berghaus quality these days definitely isn't what it used to be in the good old days!  ;)

The other alternative is to save some more pennies and go upmarket for better quality longer lasting boots. Despite what some people may think with boots you actually do get what you pay for.

Thanks for the tip about Anatom boots, Kinky - Kendal Sports sell them I believe, so I can easily pop in and try some on.
I've had Grisports boots before, a budget model - I managed to wear out the soles before the uppers failed, so I wasn't too unhappy. Tried a couple of Grisport models on today in our local shop, but the fit wasn't quite right. And I did notice something a bit funny about the finish of the leather where boots flex at the toe, a bit lumpy in places.
I hesitate to spend a lot on boots, as a lot of my walking is mixed road/path/grass etc, which can be quite heavy on the soles.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 16:03:29, 05/09/20 »
For me it's common to have leather boots starting to leak after ~500km but leather really breaking to the point that the boots become unusable I have never experienced that.

It's a first for me. Very disappointed - I thought that they were a half decent boot.

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 16:42:06, 05/09/20 »

It's a first for me. Very disappointed - I thought that they were a half decent boot.

They used to be. The Hillmaster was once the best selling boot in the UK back in the days when Brasher used to make them in the UK but that was a very long time ago.

I believe Brasher decided to move production to India then subsequentlly to the far east each with appalling levels of quality control and the rest as they say is history. It effectively killed the Brasher brand name stone dead and as a result Brasher went bust.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 17:53:33, 07/09/20 »
Temporary repair completed - not waterproof but should stop the boots falling apart whilst I source a replacement.

Birdman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 18:14:20, 07/09/20 »
Temporary repair completed - not waterproof but should stop the boots falling apart whilst I source a replacement.

Well done!
My travel and walking reports: https://www.hikingbirdman.com/

PatrickJ

« Reply #10 on: 20:42:28, 07/09/20 »
Are those Hillmasters the Berghaus branded Hillmasters II?

I had been thinking about possibly asking Santa for a pair this year as I've read they are super comfy but I've seen a few stories like this about their durability.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 21:54:23, 07/09/20 »

I had been thinking about possibly asking Santa for a pair this year as I've read they are super comfy but I've seen a few stories like this about their durability.

Hoping to buy new boots by the end of the year, I dismissed Hillmasters very early on after reading many reviews from people saying they wore out quite quickly.

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 05:34:27, 08/09/20 »

I always regard reviews saying “super comfy” as a bit of a joke...no boot is “super comfy” for all feet.

Really, really best to go to somewhere with a load of stock, and qualified fitters and try boot after boot until your reaction is “these are really comfortable”.

I suppose some are made from materials are are relatively forgiving of exact fit? But wouldn’t think that applies particularly to Hillmasters...and certainly their general rep for quality is not great.
« Last Edit: 05:38:14, 08/09/20 by pauldawes »

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 06:44:34, 08/09/20 »
In 2018 I tried another Brasher boot, the model down from the hillmaster, I think, without the rand. An eyelet fell out the first time that I tried to lace them in anger, the rivet had sheared off - too much force used when riveting, I suspect.

I'm not going to grumble too much about the latest failure, as I must have had over a thousand miles from them, but it does suggest poor quality leather being used - there's a very deep crease forming over the toe flex point on the boot that failed, whereas the other boot is relatively unaffected.

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 10:13:47, 08/09/20 »

Shoe Goo (available in both clear or black) or  McNett Freesole (think they've recently rebranded it to McNett Gear Aid Aquaseal SR Shoe Repair Adhesive) may help make that repair waterproof and last longer. That flex crack could also be treated with the same stuff - it won't look pretty but it will make them last a bit longer.

I don't know what wax you've been using or how often but you may find the 2 wax method recommended by Whalley Warm & Dry delays that flex cracking on any future boots you buy. This link may help http://www.walkingforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=39039.msg555671#msg555671 (the Grangers G-Wax and the Cherry Blossom Waxed Leather Oil would be my choices).

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy