Author Topic: Cell Service for C2C and Hadrian's Wall?  (Read 1602 times)

Lola P.

Cell Service for C2C and Hadrian's Wall?
« on: 20:25:52, 08/07/19 »

Hi all!  Coming from the US this month with Verizon android smartphones for Hadrian's wall and Wainwright's Coast to Coast.  Does anyone know

1) What cell towers Verizon roaming would use if I bought the international plan?

or 2) If I buy SIM cards/pay as you go service on arrival, would EE or O2 be preferable? (or something else?)

Thanks for any advice!

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Re: Cell Service for C2C and Hadrian's Wall?
« Reply #1 on: 21:33:27, 08/07/19 »
Sorry, I have no idea about 1, if its an Android don't you just press, look for a local provider, or does it switch automatically?

As regards 2, I've been told that in that area of the UK Vodaphone is best? No idea if that's accurate or not?

I was hiking in that area recently and I use a Giffgaff SIM card (piggybacks off of O2 I think) I never had any problems, a good signal everywhere. I just pay £10 PAYG, more than enough for two weeks for me. When I'm in a pub or restaurant I use their WIFI.

When on Hadrians Wall are you going to find the tree that was the star of the Kevin Costner film 'Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves' Still famous today!

Does your phone accept any SIM card or is it locked into one brand only?

I'm sure someone on the Forum will give you the correct answer soon.

Lola P.

« Reply #2 on: 01:41:11, 09/07/19 »
> When on Hadrians Wall are you going to find the tree that was the star of the Kevin Costner film 'Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves'

Sycamore gap!  Ok yes, thanks, had to look that up. 

Yes, I have removable SIM. Unfortunately Verizon when international is very pricey for us, so the Giffgaff SIM is a great suggestion thanks!  Last time I was at Heathrow (2012) I bought a vending machine SIM, and it worked great.  I wonder if Giffgaff SIM are available at Heathrow.  Otherwise we'll have to find a Tesco or something I suppose?

Lola P.

« Reply #3 on: 22:00:10, 31/07/19 »
Just to update...I.bought giffgaff SIMs in Tesco's and added 10 pounds in the store. It worked great on both android and a pixel 3. Great service, thanks for the tip!  And so much cheaper than paying for Verizon international service.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy