Author Topic: Points on Dartmoor not marked on OS maps  (Read 25551 times)

thomasdevon

Points on Dartmoor not marked on OS maps
« on: 07:30:30, 17/12/14 »
I'm working my way through Crossing's charming Guide to Dartmoor and am impressed by the research he carried out to pin down the names of points / features on the moor which are not marked on OS maps I have seen. Sometimes his descriptions are a little vague but I hope to upload locations and grid refs as I work through the book and confirm on the ground.

No real practical purpose for this - but it adds a nice bit of interest to a walk. Examples on my spotting list so far -

Bow Combe – ? Course of Steeperton Brook, between Steeperton Tor and Wild Tor.

Ockside Hill – Probably the flat-topped ridge NNW of Hangingstone Hill, about 613873.

The Eagle Rock – Southernmost outcrop of Steeperton Tor.

(has anyone carried out this project already?)

DevonDave

• Veteran Member
Re: Points on Dartmoor not marked on OS maps
« Reply #1 on: 11:42:30, 18/12/14 »
Here are a few more to add to your list -

Uncle Ab's House (SX 656639) located at the head of Petre's Pit Bottom.  I seem to recall reading that Uncle Ab looked after the horses which were used at the nearby mine.

Dinah's House (SX 685800) located at Golden Dagger Mine near Soussons Wood.

Keble Martin's Chapel (appropriately referenced SX 666666) located on the Western Wella Brook to the south-east of Huntingdon Warren.

The Rosalie Stone (SX 605640) located close to Broadall Head.

There are also a number of tors which are not named on the OS map.  I have been racking my brain trying to think of them, but two that come to mind are -

Wacka Tor (SX 664620) located between Brent Fore Hill and Hickley Plain.

Lowery Tor (SX 555696) located on the southern slopes of Peek Hill.

I am sure you are aware of all these, but if you need any further information let me know.  I am now in my late 60's and have been walking on Dartmoor since childhood, but I am still finding new features that I have not visited before.

Regarding Crossing's Guide, I think it is the best guide there is on Dartmoor.  I have used it all my life as a source of reference.  It is surprising that with the exception of new features such as forestry plantations and reservoirs, it is largely as accurate today as it was when it was written.

thomasdevon

« Reply #2 on: 15:52:44, 18/12/14 »
A wonderful list DevonDave, thanks so much.

I can see I've got a lot of walking to do to bag all these "secret" places.

letmeoutofhere

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 09:49:00, 21/12/14 »
This is a fab project, and very interesting. Reminds me I have a copy of Crossing's 'Hundred Years on Dartmoor' (reprint not original, sadly) which needs re-reading. Any chance you'll be publishing your findings somewhere? blog?

thomasdevon

« Reply #4 on: 14:02:03, 21/12/14 »
Thanks lmooh - Yes, I intend to upload the data here and hopefully even put photos up for final confirmation - I'm thinking some of these features might be a bit subtle on the ground, hence why they lost their names over time.

thomasdevon

« Reply #5 on: 07:09:52, 12/07/15 »
Ted Hughes memorial stone, secretly placed by helicopter 2001, discovered by BBC journalist Simon Hall 2003.

Upper Taw valley, SX 609865, 900m WNW of Hangingstone Hill.

DevonDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 10:10:16, 12/07/15 »
Yes, I was aware that there is a memorial to Ted Hughes somewhere but I wasn't sure where it was.  I will have to look for that one some time.

There are a couple of other memorials that you may not be aware of.  One is the site of the 1942 Flying Fortress crash site at Tiger Marsh, near Lyd Head (SX 552884).

There is another memorial that I came across quite by chance earlier this year just outside the boundary of Fernworthy Forest.  This one was placed in memory of a Royal Marine called S.L. Perry who died at this spot whilst on a training exercise in 1992.  Unfortunately I didn't make a note of the grid reference, but from memory I would think it is approximately SX 645850.

thomasdevon

« Reply #7 on: 11:05:04, 12/07/15 »
Nice one Dave.

I also suspect -
 Metheral Hole – Narrow course of Steeperton Brook, E of Steeperton Tor.
   The White Pits – Tin working remains in Metheral Hole.
   Small Brook Foot – Junction of Small Brook with Taw, N of Steeperton Tor.
   Brook Hill – Slight rise to NNW of Little Hound Tor, with remains of settlements and pounds.
   The Flock o’Sheep – Cluster of granite rocks near Small Brook, W of Brook Hill.

Also, does anyone know the name of the concreted ford on the Taw at SX619915? Its an important crossing point, surely not too modern to have a local name?

DevonDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 13:11:48, 12/07/15 »
I am not aware of any of the names in your list, although I must admit I do not know the north moor as well as the south.  Is the concreted ford used by the military?  If so it could be relatively recent in which case it may not have a name.

I did recently come across another tor to add to your list.  It is called Hurston Castle and is located north of Bennett's Cross at SX683834 but is not marked on the OS map.  There was an article about it in the Spring edition of Dartmoor Magazine. The article also mentions that the nearby North Walla Brook has been incorrectly named on the map and is in fact the Bovey River, although sometimes called Hurston Water.  This was pointed out by Crossing in his Guide.

Incidentally, if you do not already do so, Dartmoor Magazine is well worth subscribing to.  I have been getting it for quite a number of years and find it full of interesting facts about the Moor, together with details of walks.

thomasdevon

« Reply #9 on: 17:09:03, 12/07/15 »
Recently confirmed stone circle, Sittaford. No grid ref for this yet but 300m SW of Sittaford Tor.

A little bit of media coverage -
http://www.megalithic.co.uk/article.php?sid=35327
http://www.westernmorningnews.co.uk/stone-circle-century-discovered-high-Dartmoor/story-26474113-detail/story.html

Fascinating reading about the sacred arc of circles:
http://www.dartmoorwalks.org.uk/resource/circlemap.php

DevonDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 17:15:45, 12/07/15 »
Yes, I was there back in April when it had been marked out with pegs.  I didn't realise at the time that it was a stone circle because all the stones were lying down and partially covered with grass.

thomasdevon

« Reply #11 on: 08:18:13, 13/07/15 »
Cheers Dave. I don't think the ford on the Taw is military, its outside the range area and the trail doesn't lead towards any OPs etc. It might have been concreted for vehicles of the old water board - they have installations scattered across Taw Marsh. Maybe it really does have no name but as its on one of the few good routes from east to west in the north moor it must have a history.

Thanks for your other tips too. Getting a nice list together here now.

thomasdevon

« Reply #12 on: 08:41:06, 13/07/15 »
Mention of Marine Perry's memorial stone here -
http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WM35Y7_Marines_Memorial_Perry_Memorial_Fernworthy
and this web page has more -
http://www.dartmoorcam.co.uk/CAM/previouswalks/2008-5-8_Batworthy-Memorial/Batworthy2.htm
also describing the Harry Starkey memorial stone in the area just N.

thomasdevon

« Reply #13 on: 08:54:16, 13/07/15 »
I did recently come across another tor to add to your list.  It is called Hurston Castle and is located north of Bennett's Cross at SX683834 but is not marked on the OS map.  There was an article about it in the Spring edition of Dartmoor Magazine. The article also mentions that the nearby North Walla Brook has been incorrectly named on the map and is in fact the Bovey River, although sometimes called Hurston Water.  This was pointed out by Crossing in his Guide.

Thanks Dave. I see where this tor should be but can't spot it on Google Earth. I'll have to go and have a look on the ground. Long tiome since I was in that area so not a bad idea anyway.

thomasdevon

« Reply #14 on: 09:03:56, 13/07/15 »
Makes sense about the Bovey River name too. The actual Walla Brook is of course away to the NW so this brook to the SE would logically be called the East Walla Brook or South Walla Brook if anything. But its nowhere near Wild Tor, maybe Wild and Walla share derivation - the Walla rises from Wild Tor Ridge and I'm sure I remember that Wild here is pronounced as in build - so makes no sense to call a brook in Hurston by this name.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy