Author Topic: My best pic of the day  (Read 813775 times)

MkPotato

• Veteran Member
Re: My best pic of the day
« Reply #4260 on: 04:52:21, 16/10/20 »
Yes, it was yesterday. It was a bit mixed in terms of weather. The mist came in and out, but there were some lovely moments.

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4261 on: 08:32:11, 16/10/20 »
Lovely pics there Mk Potato - and a couple of unusual angles - my favourite is the last one - from Y Lliwedd? 

MkPotato

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4262 on: 08:39:43, 16/10/20 »
Lovely pics there Mk Potato - and a couple of unusual angles - my favourite is the last one - from Y Lliwedd?
Thanks. Yes, just coming down off the final hump of Lliwedd. It feels oddly removed from the bustle of Snowdon, and I particularly like the views of the S/E part of the mountain. Serious cliffs on the other side as well!

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4263 on: 08:57:10, 16/10/20 »
Only ever ascended that way - truly lovely way up apart from the section of the Watkin.

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4264 on: 12:07:07, 16/10/20 »
Yes, it was yesterday. It was a bit mixed in terms of weather. The mist came in and out, but there were some lovely moments.

I had the same . Dull to start with ,  but the sun was in and out later . Tests your patience at times if seeking a nice pic . Those three images are of some cracking views . !  O0
A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

MkPotato

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4265 on: 13:25:13, 16/10/20 »
Only ever ascended that way - truly lovely way up apart from the section of the Watkin.
Yes, the top bit of the Watkin path is quite tiring. In fact the Watkin path is a funny beast all round. The first couple of miles is as gentle a track as any on Snowdon, until you then start to ascend Lliwedd, (when it’s steep), and then onto Snowdon (when it’s steeper, and loose).
In fairness, quite a bit of that final but is stepped now, so it’s not as bad as it was.

MkPotato

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4266 on: 13:26:18, 16/10/20 »
I had the same . Dull to start with ,  but the sun was in and out later . Tests your patience at times if seeking a nice pic . Those three images are of some cracking views . !  O0

When the clouds cleared, it was very dramatic.

GnP

• Veteran Member
My best pics of the day
« Reply #4267 on: 19:18:00, 13/11/20 »

A couple of many pics` taken on my walk today near Alvechurch in the county of Worcestershire . The far tunnel is Wast Hills with its
Northern portal appearing a full 1 & 1/2 miles further on .
I was glad I decided to wear gaiters as it was mud and soddened ground all the way , but plenty of sunshine too , so all was good . !   :)

Dodgylegs

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4268 on: 19:59:25, 13/11/20 »
Looks very peaceful!  O0

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4269 on: 20:12:29, 13/11/20 »
Looks very peaceful!  O0
Indeed it was .
Alvechurch is on my doorstep. Yet I had forgotten how lovely it is , I haven`t walked it for a couple of years .

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4270 on: 11:34:04, 14/11/20 »
Love the bridge and tunnel pic G&P - conjures up a bit of mystery to me. O0

GnP

• Veteran Member
My best pic of the day
« Reply #4271 on: 14:06:48, 14/11/20 »
Love the bridge and tunnel pic G&P - conjures up a bit of mystery to me. O0
Thanks. Yes it does have a spooky feeling to the area .

The tunnel in the distance has a bit of a chequered history as two workmen were killed while repairing brickwork back in the late 70`s.
A shaft filled with rubble collapsed onto them and they were trapped under the water , and In 1964 , two lads were drowned trying to canoe their way through the 1 & 1/2 mile tunnel .

I came across this thread that refers to both tragedies .
https://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?/topic/78180-wast-hill-tunnel-collapse/

It was the February half term . In those days we didn't get a week, just the Friday and Monday. Rob and Clive left their homes early on the Friday to make the canoe trip through the tunnel. Unfortunately they didn't tell anyone their plans. When they didn't come home that night the  police were called and a search started, but they had no idea where they had gone. There was no news all Saturday, Sunday and Monday. On the Monday night a family returned home from a few days away and learned of their disappearance for the first time. Their son was also a pupil at our school and said that he had happened to see them on the Friday carrying a canoe down to the canal. A search was carried out and they were found. I drive over that bridge at the bottom of Parsons Hill, Kings Norton and always think about them and what they might have achieved had they lived.
« Last Edit: 15:01:24, 14/11/20 by GinAndPlatonic »

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4272 on: 16:49:07, 14/11/20 »
Gosh how horribly sad. So much history in canals and other industrial remains, often very moving.

Dodgylegs

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4273 on: 23:14:40, 15/11/20 »

Still a few leaves left on the trees...

Birdman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4274 on: 11:16:20, 16/11/20 »
Thanks. Yes it does have a spooky feeling to the area .

The tunnel in the distance has a bit of a chequered history as two workmen were killed while repairing brickwork back in the late 70`s.
A shaft filled with rubble collapsed onto them and they were trapped under the water , and In 1964 , two lads were drowned trying to canoe their way through the 1 & 1/2 mile tunnel .

I came across this thread that refers to both tragedies .
https://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?/topic/78180-wast-hill-tunnel-collapse/

It was the February half term . In those days we didn't get a week, just the Friday and Monday. Rob and Clive left their homes early on the Friday to make the canoe trip through the tunnel. Unfortunately they didn't tell anyone their plans. When they didn't come home that night the  police were called and a search started, but they had no idea where they had gone. There was no news all Saturday, Sunday and Monday. On the Monday night a family returned home from a few days away and learned of their disappearance for the first time. Their son was also a pupil at our school and said that he had happened to see them on the Friday carrying a canoe down to the canal. A search was carried out and they were found. I drive over that bridge at the bottom of Parsons Hill, Kings Norton and always think about them and what they might have achieved had they lived.

That tunnel is fascinating, so I googled it. I found a video taken from a boat going through it. It's surprisingly crowded! I wouldn't volunteer for this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpFUHCk-7K8
My travel and walking reports: https://www.hikingbirdman.com/

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy