Author Topic: hello  (Read 778 times)

harry73

hello
« on: 09:51:20, 28/01/20 »
 hello,new member and i want to ask for advice on a jacket for light walking,i am 75 and been walking since jesus was a boy but have now scaled back to 4-5miles daily.my problem is for years a have been wearing a montane smock with just a wool baselayer and in any weather wet or dry it was the bees knees for  many years for winter wear.i am in scotland and for the last few years weather has been getting warmer and was thinking of getting a jacket but would like something on the lines of my smock but a bit lighter without having to worry about layering up.any help i would be grateful for .thanks in advance

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
Re: hello
« Reply #1 on: 18:50:33, 28/01/20 »
Welcome Harry. I am also in Scotland (Aberdeenshire). I’m not much help on the jacket front, I’m afraid

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 20:49:27, 28/01/20 »
Welcomee from Manchester  :)

...for years a have been wearing a montane smock with just a wool baselayer and in any weather wet or dry it was the bees knees for  many years for winter wear.i am in scotland...

A baselayer and smock in winter in Scotland... and you are looking for a lighter one?  :o
No, with that as a starting point I can't help in any way!. Most times I'd be multi-layered including a thick one of down or synthetic.

harry73

« Reply #3 on: 21:50:01, 28/01/20 »
hi,i know its hard to believe but thats what i was wearing in east lothian as the weather in this area is better than most places in scotland and believe it or not its getting milder as the the weather seems to be going further south including the sun in summer.the jacket question should have been on a lighter weight with the properties of the montane as you can unzip it up to your armpits on both sides but it is a bother to use.i think i have been spoiled with the montane and wanted a handle on the more modern jackets.thanks for the hellos from the replies

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 22:30:05, 28/01/20 »
Welcome to the forum Harry. Can't help on a smock, but my Mountain Equipment Lhotse jacket has survived 4 Orkney winters (and half of a Cumbrian one), and is ideal for summer use too. Not cheap though.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

harry73

« Reply #5 on: 15:19:11, 30/01/20 »
hi everyone who replied to my post. ;D
went through the other posts and on to you tube and found a bewildering array of jackets on there.looking at them i think i will look at  synthetic or down and go from there as the synthetic seems to be the way to go on the waterproofing aspects but the down way be warmer.i  think that i was spoiled by the montane as no matter how wet it got you were allways warm and i had a waterproof in my bag but cant remember ever using it.so here i go looking for the perfect jacket [if it exists].will report back at the end of the hunt. O0

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 17:04:47, 30/01/20 »
I will be 75 in April. I'm not sure what you are looking for but based on your 5 miles a day, I personally would go for a base layer, an ordinary synthetic warm coat from a firm like Alpkit (mine cost me about £50) and a single skin waterproof jacket which is not that expensive either, for example, a Marmot Precip. I have one and I also use it as a wind jacket, it works well for me either way. If it's colder I just put on my Berghaus fleece under my Alpkit jacket, then I'm warm as toast.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 17:33:32, 30/01/20 »
I would go for layers, an uninsulated waterproof jacket, and assorted insulating mid layers according to season. Spend yoir money on a quality waterproof shell jacket as any old mid layer will do the job - I've even bought from charity shops.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy