Author Topic: Waterproof trousers?  (Read 8426 times)

Cathy

• Veteran Member
Waterproof trousers?
« on: 10:33:41, 11/07/12 »
Can anyone recommend some waterproof trousers that are breathable and keep ones legs nice and dry. Just lately have been walking along paths through the middle of fields of Oilseed rape crops which is sogging wet, extremly thick, about 6'high and flopping over the path so you can't even see the path, come out drenched might as well have walked waist high through the river!
Quit your jibber jabber, get some nuts

Hombredelascolinas

Re: Waterproof trousers?
« Reply #1 on: 10:48:45, 11/07/12 »
You could try some of this waterproofing stuff. I've ordered some but it hasn't arrived yet so can't say if it's any good.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0016ISY94/ref=redir_mdp_mobile?redirect=true&ref_=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

Cathy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 10:55:09, 11/07/12 »
You could try some of this waterproofing stuff. I've ordered some but it hasn't arrived yet so can't say if it's any good.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0016ISY94/ref=redir_mdp_mobile?redirect=true&ref_=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

Let us know how you get on with them  O0

angry climber

• Account Closed
« Reply #3 on: 11:29:24, 11/07/12 »
Are you looking to buy new trousers or to waterproof some existing ones. Normal cotton trousers can be made waterproof by washing them in nikwax cotton proof. You can buy this from most outdoor shops for around £6.
Never judge someone by the opinion of others find out for yourself.

C2C10

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 11:38:17, 11/07/12 »
Try the Berghaus Deluge or better still Pac-Lite, I wear the Deluge for cycling and can't fault them. Go-Outdoors do have offers on them time to time.

NSTN

« Reply #5 on: 13:50:16, 11/07/12 »
 I bought some Adidas ones that are really light and pack down really small. I think they might be golf trousers but they are just dark grey . They have mesh zips down the side to help stop overheating. The boyfriend has some Berghaus ones that are more heavy-duty.  

I must confess that in Norfolk, when we came across a narrow path through oilseed rape where it had all collapsed onto the path we wimped out and went around the side, you are clearly made of sterner stuff than us! It wasn’t because it was wet either, it was a hot day, the path just looked really difficult to follow.  

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 14:14:23, 11/07/12 »
Mine are Berghaus, sorry I can not remember the style.
I've had them for a couple of years now, reproofed them once recently, and am very happy with them.

Cathy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 15:57:39, 11/07/12 »
Are you looking to buy new trousers or to waterproof some existing ones. Normal cotton trousers can be made waterproof by washing them in nikwax cotton proof. You can buy this from most outdoor shops for around £6.

Wow that sounds like a canny tip  :o I never knew you could use nikwax to proof trousers you've already got, usually I use it on a Berghaus gore-tex jacket after washing it

Try the Berghaus Deluge or better still Pac-Lite, I wear the Deluge for cycling and can't fault them. Go-Outdoors do have offers on them time to time.

I shall have a look for them, have just discovered that there's a branch of Go-Outdoors in Bedford so that's handy

I must confess that in Norfolk, when we came across a narrow path through oilseed rape where it had all collapsed onto the path we wimped out and went around the side, you are clearly made of sterner stuff than us! It wasn’t because it was wet either, it was a hot day, the path just looked really difficult to follow.

We just sort of dived in and ended up high stepping it in true Monty Python style, it was very funny  :)

geordie33

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 16:58:35, 11/07/12 »
I tried washing Craghoppers in Nikwax-made no difference whatsoever.
I have used Paramos with varying results-not great at the price.Have just got some Berghaus Deluge (£35 from Amazon).They have been put to the test this week and have done very well.Just today did a mile through waist high wet grass-nothing got through ad for the price I am very satisfied with them.

aljones27

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 17:03:22, 11/07/12 »
My experience of the cotton proof is whilst it make make something water repellent, it won't make it water proof. Still, might be enough for the OP's requirement.
Wainwrights: 17

Remember to keep smiling...
It really freaks people out as they wonder what you are up to...

http://alastairsmiscellany.blogspot.com

Cathy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 17:18:46, 11/07/12 »
Have just got some Berghaus Deluge (£35 from Amazon).They have been put to the test this week and have done very well.Just today did a mile through waist high wet grass-nothing got through ad for the price I am very satisfied with them.

The Berghaus Deluge sound good, I should imagine the stores selling waterproof outdoor gear have been doing well lately!

altirando

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 17:40:24, 11/07/12 »
Ahem - couldn't you just have taken your trousers off to walk through the thigh high stuff?  Or - not so much fun for your companions - wear shorts?

Cathy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 17:43:37, 11/07/12 »
That would be an idea, we're going again next week, need waterproof knickers as well

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 18:32:43, 11/07/12 »
Berghaus Deluge or Paclite for me.  I have both and would deffo recommend  O0

Tracey :)
***Happiness is only a smile away***

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 18:49:35, 11/07/12 »
I've been following this thread with interest as I wasn't happy with the performance of my (20 year old?!) waterproof trousers during my Pennine Way walk in June.  With you and Geordie recommending the Berghaus Deluge my decision on what to get is made  :) O0 O0

(Edit:  Just ordered 'em  :) )
Where there's a will ...

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy