Author Topic: Managing paper maps  (Read 8280 times)

Peter

• Veteran Member
Re: Managing paper maps
« Reply #15 on: 22:25:40, 25/01/15 »

(..... and so, the blatant admission of copyright infringement goes unnoticed ......  ^-^  )

That's not a crime...  8)
Peter
sometimes I fall off the learning curve....
Join: Yorkshire Dales Walking Buddies
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1783012625307

Rhino

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 10:06:15, 26/01/15 »
Use gps and recently a tablet gps as backup and replacement for explorer series map and compass. Have and will continue to print A4 map of route directions from go4awalk and laminate it at work. Try to follow the route off the directions and only refer to gps in poor visibility. Have the gpx off the route in both gps devices as well.
Wainwrights Completed 12/12/15

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 14:05:09, 26/01/15 »
I print and laminate, have done for years. Print my route in  1:25k on one side and then a larger overview of the area 1:50k on the other side of the paper. After laminating I strengthen a corner with duct tape, punch it and use this to attach a cord. The do not fold so I roll it and store it in a suitable loop attached to a 'crab' similar to Hillhiker1. Worked well for years.

Save my screen shot maps in appropriate files and use Gimp to stitch them together, Gradually build up quite large jpeg files of areas which are useful to go back to for reference or another route.

These back up my paper maps and I have digital files that I can transfer to my laptop, which I updated a year ago, this handles quite big map files.

Take a lot of wear and tear of my paper maps.
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

Sevy

« Reply #18 on: 14:16:39, 26/01/15 »
Ordnance Survey getamap also suitable for needs here.

peapod21

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 16:53:37, 26/01/15 »
I always buy the OS Explore Active maps. Full map already laminated. Can be a pain to fold down to specific areas though, but I prefer to have it ready made rather than make it myself.
You have one life, make the most of it.

Hillhiker1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 19:15:07, 26/01/15 »
I still carry a full map, the A4 print is just a quick reference 'crib sheet'. My route is in my GPS too.

Welsh Rambler

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 19:47:28, 26/01/15 »
I fold the A4 print in half to A5 before laminating so half the map is on one side and half on the other.

Some good ideas here I've picked up. Thanks.

Regards Keith

route2rock

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 20:10:59, 26/01/15 »
I fold the A4 print in half to A5 before laminating so half the map is on one side and half on the other.

Some good ideas here I've picked up. Thanks.

Regards Keith

If you have printed both sides of A4, cut it in half before laminating it. As laminating pouches are bigger than a4, you can leave a space between them. Cut them apart and hey presto, save paper and pennies, and get pocket sized maps.
Find out what I've been up to @ http://www.instagram.com/route2rock :)

pathcruncher

« Reply #23 on: 20:12:38, 26/01/15 »
Hi Keith,
I hope this is a possible solution to your problem. I now rarely use maps in their natural state for the same reasons you highlight, and I hear what you say about map pouches, but maybe with a slight modification they could become very useful.

Buy yourself a good quality A4 map case – I suggest an ORTLIEB, have a look at:

http://www.ortlieb.co.uk/map-document/document-bag.html

They are totally waterproof and will last for years. Then cut a piece of reasonably thick card and score it across the centre so as it will bend back on itself.

I’ve been using OS ‘Get a Map’ for a number of years now but Mapyx Quo is just fine.

Then place your printed maps either side of the A4 card within the map case, if on a longer walk you need more sheets they can go under the first set.

Now all you need to stop this flying around in a blizzard is believe it or not – a self-adhesive cup hook!
Make sure the map case has no grease and is completely dry, then stick the hook in the place as per the photo. Leave it overnight with a bit of weight on it and your good to go.

When you want to stow it, fold in half and the cup hook will fit nicely under the waistband of your rucksack.

I have used this system for eight years now through any amount of wind and rain and I’m still on the first map case!

Regards, pathcruncher   O0  O0

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 20:21:29, 26/01/15 »
Forgive me for asking a really daft question pathcruncher but, seeing the last photo, I'm puzzled as to why the cup hook is of any use if the map is tucked into the rucksack waistband anyway  :-\

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 20:25:44, 26/01/15 »
I just use laminated OS maps. They fit fine in a map pocket and cover a much larger area than an A4 printout. I also find the detail to be better, though as printers get better this will be less of an issue. I still don't trust printouts not to have distorted, though again this could be me being a dinosaur.
Walking routes visiting ancient sites in Britain's uplands: http://www.archaeoroutes.co.uk

pathcruncher

« Reply #26 on: 20:30:40, 26/01/15 »
If you arrange the cord to have a slight tention on it, it will stay securely in place, otherwise I have found it will slip out when scrambling or even stile crossing.

:)  O0

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 20:39:55, 26/01/15 »
Ahh, okay  :)   Your map case must be more slippery than mine then. 

PAG1952

« Reply #28 on: 21:18:13, 26/01/15 »
Print map A4 size (or if you are lucky enough to have access to A3 printer, A3 and fold in 1/2) an place in A4 size re-sealable poly bag. Totally waterproof and will fold/screw up and fit in almost any pocket.
The sun is always shining.......... it's just that on most days the clouds stop us from seeing it.

Welsh Rambler

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 19:46:59, 27/01/15 »
Hi Keith,
I hope this is a possible solution to your problem. I now rarely use maps in their natural state for the same reasons you highlight, and I hear what you say about map pouches, but maybe with a slight modification they could become very useful.

Buy yourself a good quality A4 map case – I suggest an ORTLIEB, have a look at:

http://www.ortlieb.co.uk/map-document/document-bag.html

They are totally waterproof and will last for years. Then cut a piece of reasonably thick card and score it across the centre so as it will bend back on itself.

I’ve been using OS ‘Get a Map’ for a number of years now but Mapyx Quo is just fine.

Then place your printed maps either side of the A4 card within the map case, if on a longer walk you need more sheets they can go under the first set.

Now all you need to stop this flying around in a blizzard is believe it or not – a self-adhesive cup hook!
Make sure the map case has no grease and is completely dry, then stick the hook in the place as per the photo. Leave it overnight with a bit of weight on it and your good to go.

When you want to stow it, fold in half and the cup hook will fit nicely under the waistband of your rucksack.

I have used this system for eight years now through any amount of wind and rain and I’m still on the first map case!

Regards, pathcruncher   O0 O0
That's a clever idea pathcruncher, thanks  O0 It's probably cheaper in the long run than laminating.
Regards Keith

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy