Author Topic: Berghaus RG1 or North Face Resolve?  (Read 8587 times)

fazzle

Berghaus RG1 or North Face Resolve?
« on: 15:37:56, 29/11/09 »
Hi all, you might have seen my topic asking about cheap waterproof coats for general usage, and I think (THINK!) I have narrowed it down to these two only. But I am still open to suggestions. There are still a few other things I would like:
- velco wrist straps (the resolve does not have these and it will annoy me!)
- A peaked hood (I understand that both of these jackets' roll away - but can I get one with a nice peak (or at least a bit of wire stuck round it!?)
- Map pocket?! (that surely must be too much to ask)
- longer! - I have tried both of these on and they come to my hips - cant I get one thats any longer for cheap can I?

At the moment I am leaning towards the berghaus due to the velcro straps, easy foldaway hood, and nicer fit.

Thanks everyone.

and here are the links for quick reference (not the cheapest place, I know, but for comparison it's best).

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/mens-clothing/outer-jackets/waterproof/the-north-face-mens-resolve-jacket/COREOMAAT0AR9T

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/mens-clothing/outer-jackets/waterproof/berghaus-rg1-jacket-mens-waterproof-jacket/COREOMAA33150
Will.

Bill T

• Veteran Member
Re: Berghaus RG1 or North Face Resolve?
« Reply #1 on: 17:01:58, 29/11/09 »
That's a tricky one, but to be honest you've already answered your own question, not much between them but you prefer the Berghaus.

The wrist velcro is very important, you can lose loads of heat through those, sometimes you need to, sometimes you don't want to, velcro gives you the choice.  The TNF hood looks quite good, but I haven't seen the Berghaus one to compare.  I've got both TNF and Berghaus stuff, but mainly Berghaus, I like both, if it were me and the hoods are equal I'd go Berghaus.
Dirger

Resident Lyke Wake Bore

fazzle

« Reply #2 on: 18:01:21, 29/11/09 »
Well the hoods are very similar - just thin material with no peak.

I think both have 2 drawcords on the hood to bring it close... so that would be handy. thanks for you answer.
Will.

angry climber

• Account Closed
« Reply #3 on: 08:24:35, 30/11/09 »
I would go for the North Face one purely because I think Hy Vent is a better fabric than Berghaus Aquafoil.
Never judge someone by the opinion of others find out for yourself.

frostycore

« Reply #4 on: 18:30:14, 30/11/09 »
I've got a Berghaus similar to the RG1 and I can vouch for its greatness!

fazzle

« Reply #5 on: 18:56:06, 30/11/09 »
I would go for the North Face one purely because I think Hy Vent is a better fabric than Berghaus Aquafoil.

Interesting... can I ask why you think this? I mean, is it just a personal preference or have you actually tried both and are making a decision... thanks so much for the feedback, much appreciated.

I also just read a review that pointed out that:

the hem has no adjustment
the wrists have no adjustment
the hood has no adjustment

for me this clears it up - if it's all about keeping wind out then I need adjusters to make it work! and I need my Berghaus RG1! haha thanks
« Last Edit: 19:04:30, 30/11/09 by fazzle »
Will.

Bill T

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 19:04:19, 30/11/09 »
Well at this point I shall bale out as my only experience of waterproof fabric is canvas, PU nylon, and goretex
Dirger

Resident Lyke Wake Bore

fazzle

« Reply #7 on: 22:00:39, 30/11/09 »
Well now I've read some stuff which says that "aquafoil" isn't as good as gore tex etc. and this is kinda annoying. Is it a good jacket or not? I only want it for going to college in, the occasional mountain biking in the rain thingy, and a fair amount of walking on the south downs... it should be fine... right?  ???
Will.

gotmeheadshaved

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 22:18:09, 30/11/09 »
Well I recently bought North Face Resolve jacket with hyvent technology and I'm over the moon with it. Lightweight, comfy, warm and windproof, and 100% waterproof. One of the best jackets I've bought to be honest  O0

Steve
Steve (gotmeheadshaved)

'Brothers, what we do in life, echoes in eternity'

fazzle

« Reply #9 on: 22:30:04, 30/11/09 »
Shoot... now I AM stuck!

But am I right in saying there is no adjustment for the hem, hood, and cuffs?

Awww MAN...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQ15pZAbhbw

It has drawcords on the hood AND the hem! so both of those points are BS!

now its just the elasticated cuffs...
« Last Edit: 22:33:20, 30/11/09 by fazzle »
Will.

angry climber

• Account Closed
« Reply #10 on: 00:49:06, 01/12/09 »
Interesting... can I ask why you think this? I mean, is it just a personal preference or have you actually tried both and are making a decision... thanks so much for the feedback, much appreciated.

I have had an aquafoil pair of trousers and they were not breathable they made you feel sweaty and uncomfortable. I have not tried Hy Vent but my wife has and she likes it that is what I based my opinion on. 

fazzle

« Reply #11 on: 10:15:02, 01/12/09 »
now I am leaning towards the north face! am going to go into millets tomorrow and try them both on again, and make a decision, then grab it at a bargain price online!

thanks for the help guys, I will let you know what I decide!
Will.

angry climber

• Account Closed
« Reply #12 on: 12:43:14, 01/12/09 »
now I am leaning towards the north face! am going to go into millets tomorrow and try them both on again, and make a decision, then grab it at a bargain price online!

thanks for the help guys, I will let you know what I decide!

I am a bit confused fazzle you carry an advert for The North Face as your signature surely that suggests you like TNF gear?

fazzle

« Reply #13 on: 13:56:06, 01/12/09 »
yeah... I like the north face, doesn't mean I buy all their products!
Will.

angry climber

• Account Closed
« Reply #14 on: 02:13:09, 02/12/09 »
What jacket have you went for then?

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy