Author Topic: Osprey Rucksacks  (Read 10240 times)

rickit

Osprey Rucksacks
« on: 06:38:17, 13/05/10 »
Im looking at replacing my current rucsack with an Osprey one. Looking at either the Argon or Aether, 70 or 85 ltr size. Anyone got either and can comment on them ?

Thanks
Rick

"Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time."

Dixie

• Veteran Member
Re: Osprey Rucksacks
« Reply #1 on: 08:51:54, 13/05/10 »
Got a 35L Atmos I realy like it good build quality some nice features and the air mesh back system is cool.  8)

Taffy_Tours

« Reply #2 on: 18:13:29, 13/05/10 »
On a recent walk I did in a crowd of about 15 peoples I would say 60-70% were wearing Osprey sacks, and I know plenty of other Osprey owners who weren't present that day.  That sort of thing doesn't happen by accident.

They are a bit pricey for my taste personally but they are an awesome bit of kit with lots of smart thought and design obviously gone into their make up.
Typical summer May(ish) to late Sept early Oct.  Welsh summer : Mid April to Mid May with occasional brief sunny periods til November

JulianC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 22:44:28, 13/05/10 »
Deb's just bought a 20l (I think) Talon and it is a well though out sack with lots of adjustment and some nice touches. Might have to borrow it....

angry climber

• Account Closed
« Reply #4 on: 00:10:32, 14/05/10 »
I have three osprey sacks and they are all brilliant Stratos 32 Talon 11 and solo 8 nothing as big as the aether but they are well built and comfortable. 
Never judge someone by the opinion of others find out for yourself.

Lillian

« Reply #5 on: 08:26:18, 14/05/10 »
Like boots, rucksacks are only good if they fit you. Osprey generally has excellent feedback but some people have issues with them being uncomfortable.

They are seen in the hills a lot because of reviews, "fashion" and availability in the shops rather than they are better than anything else. They are excellent, well made packs with some design aspects that don't work for all.

For a large pack as you are buying also consider Gregory who have a good reputation and excellent build quality and I think this year's models all have adjustable hip straps.

angry climber

• Account Closed
« Reply #6 on: 12:38:52, 14/05/10 »
Osprey "fashion" sacks  ;D  come in various back lengths to accommodate different sizes and the larger packs like Aether and such come with unique custom moulded hip belts. I have honestly never heard anyone say they are uncomfortable or for any osprey sack to have a negative write up in any review 

Lillian I will say black, you have to say white  ;D

Gelert

« Reply #7 on: 13:13:11, 14/05/10 »
I too have three of them, they seem to fit me a treat and are so comfortable, fairly lightweight too.  I have the Stratos 32, Atmos 50 and Mutant 38.

Lillian

« Reply #8 on: 13:39:12, 14/05/10 »
AC - no reviews because why on earth would anyone buy a pack they find uncomfortable?

My advice is quite straight forward. A pack is only good if it fits you and I find it extraordinary that you can find fault with that.
Making the OP aware of other choices which may suit, which the OP can only decide, is only offering advice. Gregory packs are not widely stocked like Osprey packs are.
I omitted other suggestions as I have assumed that the OP values carry comfort and hence looking at Osprey in the first place.

angry climber

• Account Closed
« Reply #9 on: 13:46:44, 14/05/10 »
AC - no reviews because why on earth would anyone buy a pack they find uncomfortable?

Sorry you have one on me because I did not know you had to buy the kit to review it. Maybe thats why Chris Townsend and Graham Thompson as always skint looking. Having done some gear testing myself I was extremely lucky I only had to give the gear back not buy it. Shame maybe your way works better.  ;D

Lillian

« Reply #10 on: 14:17:32, 14/05/10 »
I don't understand your point AC. Why would anyone try something on in a shop, find it uncomfortable and then write a review of it?
Apart from professional reviewers the only reviews you read are from owners of the product, who, because they are owners one assumes they find the product comfortable.

http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/forum/forummessages/mps/dt/4/UTN/16428/

I am unable to ascertain if you are suggesting that we should just go and buy something because a professional reviewer has given a positive review and don't bother to try anything on for fit or comfort.

angry climber

• Account Closed
« Reply #11 on: 14:57:33, 14/05/10 »

I am unable to ascertain if you are suggesting that we should just go and buy something because a professional reviewer has given a positive review and don't bother to try anything on for fit or comfort.

Only you could think I meant that. You like to think the worst of people but we just have to put up with that. 

rickit

« Reply #12 on: 15:01:50, 14/05/10 »
Many thanks for all your responses. Indeed comfort is of paramount importance to me thats why I have been looking at the Ospreys. Thanks Lilian for the pointer to Gregory packs, they do read well shame they are not widely available. I would not dream of buying a pack without trying on first as all of you recommend, one reason I posted question here was as already pointed out, only positive reviews are out there on the web re Ospreys and I just wanted to make sure these packs are good as these reviews read.
Rick

"Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time."

angry climber

• Account Closed
« Reply #13 on: 15:12:29, 14/05/10 »
Many thanks for all your responses. Indeed comfort is of paramount importance to me thats why I have been looking at the Ospreys. Thanks Lilian for the pointer to Gregory packs, they do read well shame they are not widely available. I would not dream of buying a pack without trying on first as all of you recommend, one reason I posted question here was as already pointed out, only positive reviews are out there on the web re Ospreys and I just wanted to make sure these packs are good as these reviews read.

Glad we could be of help  O0

angry climber

• Account Closed
« Reply #14 on: 15:42:36, 14/05/10 »
Gregory do make good packs but they are difficult to find in shops. the pack comparable to the aether is the Gregory Baltoro both are 70 liters The Aether is lighter at 2.07kg compaired to the gregorys 2.66kg and the Aether trades around £150 where as the Gregory is around £200
you can get more info from www.bramwell-int.co.uk 

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy