Author Topic: Osprey Rucksacks  (Read 10201 times)

rickit

Re: Osprey Rucksacks
« Reply #15 on: 15:58:33, 14/05/10 »
Thanks for that AC, I must admit on further reading im looking more towards the 70l Aether in preference to the Argon, but will go in to the shop with an open mind and go for the pack that fits the best and is the most comfortable.
Rick

"Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time."

cragster

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 16:05:43, 14/05/10 »
AC - no reviews because why on earth would anyone buy a pack they find uncomfortable?

My advice is quite straight forward. A pack is only good if it fits you and I find it extraordinary that you can find fault with that.
Making the OP aware of other choices which may suit, which the OP can only decide, is only offering advice. Gregory packs are not widely stocked like Osprey packs are.
I omitted other suggestions as I have assumed that the OP values carry comfort and hence looking at Osprey in the first place.

So Osprey might not suit the OP in which case their only other choice would be Gregory?  :-\
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

Taffy_Tours

« Reply #17 on: 18:11:05, 14/05/10 »
Osprey generally has excellent feedback but some people have issues with them being uncomfortable.  They are seen in the hills a lot because of reviews, "fashion" rather than they are better than anything else.

fashionable trousers, tops, hats yes I could definitely say I agree with you.  But the simply astonishing price of the Osprey means I couldn't agree that people would buy something they find uncomfortable just to follow the latest fad.

I've never even tried one on in the shop because the price tag rules it out of even a wish list of kit.
Typical summer May(ish) to late Sept early Oct.  Welsh summer : Mid April to Mid May with occasional brief sunny periods til November

Lillian

« Reply #18 on: 19:26:33, 14/05/10 »

So Osprey might not suit the OP in which case their only other choice would be Gregory?  :-\

No. Gregory is another brand to consider whose construction methods are similar to Osprey and hence provide a similar product with similar carry characteristics within similar weights and price ranges but differ in design features.

Macpac have a reputation of making virtually indestructible packs but they tend to be heavier.

Lowe and Berghaus have varying degrees of success with larger packs.

I could name a number of lighter packs but these are really intended for lighter loads and carry comfort is rapidly sacrificed as carry weight increases comparatively.

There is also the problem of actually being able to see one of these packs and try it on. A pack of this size must be tried on.

So the advice I gave, and it is only my advice whcih seems to inflame some, was based upon the OP request, availability (which has great bearing upon how many are sold) and personal experience.

So cragster, what other brands would you recommend and why to the OP with similar characteristics to the Osprey?

"I couldn't agree that people would buy something they find uncomfortable" Did I say that?

Taffy_Tours

« Reply #19 on: 19:39:18, 14/05/10 »

"I couldn't agree that people would buy something they find uncomfortable" Did I say that?

No, fair play you didn't say exactly that.

It was just what you seemed to be saying when I was reading it. :o

Probably just me not reading things twice to be sure I'm reading and understanding at the same time.
 :-[   :D   O0

Sorry  :-*
Typical summer May(ish) to late Sept early Oct.  Welsh summer : Mid April to Mid May with occasional brief sunny periods til November

SouthDowns

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 09:15:57, 15/05/10 »
They are seen in the hills a lot because of reviews, "fashion" and availability in the shops rather than they are better than anything else.

Could you post the research you've seen to back that statement up please Lillian?

I know what you're trying to say, but you don't half have an argumentative way of saying it! What you describe as "fashion", as if those who buy them are just following the crowd, could also be described as "reputation". By your own argument no-one's going to buy an uncomfortable sack, so we must assume that all those followers of fashion (I'm one of them) actually do find the Osprey's to be better than others they've tried? If not, we really are a bunch of idiots aren't we!

I don't disagree with most of what you've said, just the way you've said it. Osprey have done a great job with their marketing, it's true, to the point where they tend to at least be on the shortlist for most people buying a sack, while others like Gregory aren't but should be, but that's not "fashion", it's good marketing, good reputation, and a product that justifies it.

It's certainly not true that a poor product won't get poor reviews because people won't buy it. Again I understand what you're saying; If it doesn't suit someone, they'll simply move on, but no, if they were actually uncomfortable there'd be blog posts and all sorts saying so. Some people will find them uncomfortable when they try them, like in the forum thread you linked to (having said you're unlikely to read of poor experiences?), and others will find them fine in the shop, but not once they get serious use on the trail. All of that will be reported, as it is for all types of products (the power of the internet eh?).

The fact that so many people report good experiences, so few report the opposite, and that such a large proportion have them and use them, does suggest that in general they should at least be on every shortlist. Yep, so should lots of others, and yep, they're all only any good if they suit you, but nope, the fact that lots of people use something doesn't automatically make it a fashion.

I bought mine because it was at least as comfortable as the others I tried (Lowe Alpine, OMM, Deuter and Berghaus), but also had clever little features I like and will use. Not because I'm some kind of unthinking sheep, following fashion.

Today, SouthDowns is modelling a beautiful off the shoulder "Kestrel 38", in delicate fern green, with grey highlights that perfectly accentuate the tones reflected in his hair, styled today by Monsieur Dragfru Edgbacward. Note how the the hip belt cuts into his body, flattering his already perfect figure.

Cheers,

Slave to fashion.
« Last Edit: 09:23:35, 15/05/10 by SouthDowns »
Signature space for rent. Reasonable rates apply.

alewife

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 11:47:58, 15/05/10 »
Today, SouthDowns is modelling a beautiful off the shoulder "Kestrel 38", in delicate fern green, with grey highlights that perfectly accentuate the tones reflected in his hair, styled today by Monsieur Dragfru Edgbacward. Note how the the hip belt cuts into his body, flattering his already perfect figure.

Cheers,

Slave to fashion.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D  Gok Wan (sp?), eat your heart out!
Alewife

...beware of the bull!

Dixie

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 16:10:03, 15/05/10 »
Another good make is Macpac I have an Ascent which I use in the winter. It is bombproof and cumfy for me howerver I do miss the air mesh system that my osprey has.

JulianC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 17:23:24, 15/05/10 »
Well, I'm sorry to report that Deb's Osprey Talon 22 got it's first proper outing up Moel Siabod today and the bad news is she loves it. [censored], I was hoping to get my hands on it :(

cragster

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 17:43:48, 15/05/10 »

No. Gregory is another brand to consider whose construction methods are similar to Osprey and hence provide a similar product with similar carry characteristics within similar weights and price ranges but differ in design features.

Macpac have a reputation of making virtually indestructible packs but they tend to be heavier.

Lowe and Berghaus have varying degrees of success with larger packs.

I could name a number of lighter packs but these are really intended for lighter loads and carry comfort is rapidly sacrificed as carry weight increases comparatively.

There is also the problem of actually being able to see one of these packs and try it on. A pack of this size must be tried on.

So the advice I gave, and it is only my advice whcih seems to inflame some, was based upon the OP request, availability (which has great bearing upon how many are sold) and personal experience.

So cragster, what other brands would you recommend and why to the OP with similar characteristics to the Osprey?

Possibly you are coming across a bit over analytical and authoritarian in your replies.  Have you met Snowslider yet? You'd be a match made in heaven ;D
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

Quack

« Reply #25 on: 21:00:15, 15/05/10 »
I'm yet to be convinced on the idea of Osprey rucksacks, although I must say I've never tried one.  Obviously having a well fitted heavy rucksack is important for comfort, but at the end of the day it's still a heavy rucksack.

Perhaps they are a little better than others, but you certainly pay a premium for that.  I think I'd only turn to them if I found cheaper rucksacks inadequete - which I don't!

guess who

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 21:21:56, 15/05/10 »

Cheers,

Slave to fashion.

Oh how i  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D at this bit of your post.

angry climber

• Account Closed
« Reply #27 on: 21:34:47, 15/05/10 »
I'm yet to be convinced on the idea of Osprey rucksacks, although I must say I've never tried one. 

Osprey rely on a reputation for innovation and comfortable load carrying if you have not tried them then you are not allowing yourself to be convinced.
Never judge someone by the opinion of others find out for yourself.

SouthDowns

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 03:26:59, 16/05/10 »
Perhaps they are a little better than others, but you certainly pay a premium for that.  I think I'd only turn to them if I found cheaper rucksacks inadequete - which I don't!

That's fine, if a cheaper sack does it for you, great, but there's no premium for an Osprey over other sacks in their "class" - I found the prices of all the ones I looked at to be very similar.

Mark
Signature space for rent. Reasonable rates apply.

rickit

« Reply #29 on: 07:17:54, 16/05/10 »
Well after visiting my local independent store and having a proper fitting, I came away with the Argon 85 rucksack. I liked the Aether series and prior to the visit this was the pack I was intending to purchase, but I found the Aetherpack uncomfortable compared to the Argon. The Argon is unbelievably comfortable Even when filled to capacity.I tried on a lot of other sacks but in my personal opinion this was the most comfortable pack I tried on in this size, which is the most important factor to me.
Rick

"Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time."

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy