Author Topic: Crampons and information!!  (Read 9608 times)

yeti

• Veteran Member
Re: Crampons and information!!
« Reply #15 on: 11:54:29, 18/08/10 »

I am going to be more prepared for a big winter this year. I am going to build my fitness and improve between now and end of November. I may have a look at other kit to help as well. Possibly Snow shoes and grivel spiders for icy paths that don't require crampons
If its like last winter. That'll be the kit you need to get a local newspaper. :)
R.I.P. Dave.

roddyp

« Reply #16 on: 12:02:30, 18/08/10 »
... grivel spiders for icy paths that don't require crampons
That's not a bad idea. I found the Devil's Kitchen path really awkward in descent towards the end of last winter. Nasty sloping ice banked up on a lot of the steps, but also plenty of bare rock that I didn't want to scar unnecessarily.

Twice I took crampons off, only to refit them almost immediately after ending up on my [censored]... Grivel spiders would have been a handy compromise.
I am just going outside, and may be some time.

Read my blog at http://butnoidea.co.uk

tim000

« Reply #17 on: 13:23:16, 18/08/10 »
just bought some winter boots off e-bay. salomon super mountain thingys ::)  . £40 . need to get some crampons and axe and i might be joining you . i start a new job in sept , so no more working weekends :D

angry climber

• Account Closed
« Reply #18 on: 19:45:55, 18/08/10 »
That's not a bad idea. I found the Devil's Kitchen path really awkward in descent towards the end of last winter. Nasty sloping ice banked up on a lot of the steps, but also plenty of bare rock that I didn't want to scar unnecessarily.

Twice I took crampons off, only to refit them almost immediately after ending up on my [censored]... Grivel spiders would have been a handy compromise.

That was the issue I had last winter. Many of the lower paths were covered in sporadic area's of ice. Sheltered hollows etc. It became a nightmare after taking your crampons off. I had a look at the Grivel Spider in Go Outdoors and they seem very easy to fit and use so I may just go for it.
Never judge someone by the opinion of others find out for yourself.

Peakbagger

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 20:00:29, 18/08/10 »
I would personally go for the Kahtoola MicroSpikes over the Grivel Spiders. If you decide to go with the Kahtoola's then it might be an idea to start looking for them now as in the previous couple of years they became a bit hard to find over winter due to the sheer demand for them!
Current Munro tally: 78 out of 282 completed so far.

All 190 Welsh Nuttalls completed.

angry climber

• Account Closed
« Reply #20 on: 20:06:59, 18/08/10 »
I have heard a few people say the micro spikes are great but the retaining bands are hard to fit especially if you are already on slippy ground. I believe they are a strong rubber compound like that of the old yeti gaiters. The spiders use straps instead.   

Peakbagger

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 20:12:51, 18/08/10 »
Can't say I noticed any difficulty putting them on. There's enough stretch in the rubber to pull them around the heel (toes go in first just like with crampons).

roddyp

« Reply #22 on: 20:24:09, 18/08/10 »
... the retaining bands are hard to fit...

Doesn't seem too bad to me: http://www.kahtoola.com/microspikes_video.htm

angry climber

• Account Closed
« Reply #23 on: 21:49:16, 18/08/10 »
My apologies these are not the spikes I expected I have got my gear mixed up. These micro spikes look really good the other I saw were like a rubber band that sort of Criss crossed the sole of your shoe. they were black and had about 8 spikes around the sole. When I asked for advice I was told they were difficult to fit.

Does anyone know how much and where to get these micro spikes because they look the dogs balls     

Peakbagger

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 06:45:05, 19/08/10 »
Does anyone know how much and where to get these micro spikes because they look the dogs balls   

Looks like most places are selling them for £45 at the moment. Your best bet is to just click through each retailer that comes up in the Google search and find one with your size in stock.

angry climber

• Account Closed
« Reply #25 on: 09:25:38, 19/08/10 »
Looks like most places are selling them for £45 at the moment. Your best bet is to just click through each retailer that comes up in the Google search and find one with your size in stock.

I like a bit of hands on time and I could not find them on Cotswold, ellis or Tiso site and I know go outdoors does not do them. I will have a search around.   

Cadairmanuk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 10:42:34, 19/08/10 »
Well boys my brand new Crampons turned up today !!! but oh their not Grivel g12's!!! They are in fact the 14's which retail at £170 so I'm well cuffed!!  O0

Ben

http://www.facebook.com/Penygader    Bringing you all the very latest from Southern Snowdonia

Cadairmanuk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 13:41:33, 19/08/10 »
No longer chuffed lol , their a C3 so don't fit correctly!!  Any one want to buy a set of new g14's ??

Ben
http://www.facebook.com/Penygader    Bringing you all the very latest from Southern Snowdonia

roddyp

« Reply #28 on: 13:52:39, 19/08/10 »
If they're not as described, you should be able to return them...

Cadairmanuk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 13:54:05, 19/08/10 »
Yeh I can , but I only paid £90  so I think I could make a bit on them to be honest will try and sell them this week if not will get my money back !!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy