Author Topic: Walking in leggings?  (Read 10420 times)

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
Re: Walking in leggings?
« Reply #15 on: 17:39:31, 02/10/17 »
Running tights, ive discovered, do not provide the necessary support for tired muscles.
Some years ago, i was in the belief, that only sponsored elite athletes wore compression clothing ,as they were paid handsomely to endorse Skins or Under Armour compression clothing, and if they did not work, then nothing was lost or gained.

Under Armour are sponsors of several of the major International Rugby teams, England and Wales  especially, and most of the players wear the stuff during training, so it must have its merits.

Corporate Sporting image is worth millions annually, and i suppose if this Compression clothing did not have some lasting benefit, to highly paid sports men and women, then the club managers and owners would not endorse it, even if the companies flashed their wallets in front of them.

I was lucky enough to pick up a pair of Skins tights, for sensible money on ebay, and found that they certainly did provide leg and muscle protection and comfort.

Its only after a really long walk, or physical exercise, that you discover your leg and calf muscles do not ache or complain as much as they did.

AS we get older, are bodies take a lot longer to recover from anything really physical, but Skins work for me, and i do not care one little bit, if i look like an ageing  bloke ballet dancer.
« Last Edit: 17:48:52, 02/10/17 by Dyffryn Ardudwy »

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 18:02:48, 02/10/17 »
owners would not endorse it, even if the companies flashed their wallets in front of them.

Oh yes they would, It would not be the first time the manager/ players choice was rebadged to look like sponsored gear.
Too little, too late, too bad......

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 19:18:28, 02/10/17 »
Is everyone talking at cross-purposes here?  Leggings, compression tights and running tights are all slightly different things aren't they?  :-\

Anyhow, Julia Bradbury also wears the same ones as that woman on Countryfile.  I'm guessing those type are the latest walking fashion item for folks to rush out and buy.

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 22:31:58, 02/10/17 »

Anyhow, Julia Bradbury also wears the same ones as that woman on Countryfile. 

Yep...and didn't she look a bu**er in the ones she had on last night! ;D   I occasionally wear leggings but only ever black ones  O0
***Happiness is only a smile away***

stubill

« Reply #19 on: 22:40:53, 02/10/17 »
I'm getting this image of the countryside being overrun by hundreds of people looking like Max Wall!

SailorBob

« Reply #20 on: 18:10:01, 03/10/17 »
Is everyone talking at cross-purposes here?  Leggings, compression tights and running tights are all slightly different things aren't they?  :-\

I was using the term 'leggings' in its most generic sense when I first posted. I'd have expected that anyone choosing to wear leggings for walking would select something with wicking / quick drying properties rather than 'fashion' leggings.  Equally, I guess its good to discover that kit designed for one purpose functions well in other activities, such as Dyffryn Ardudwy has highlighted with compression tights.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 14:57:06, 04/10/17 »
I just looked up 'hiking leggings via Google and decided to look at the pictures on offer, absolutely loads of them on screen. Almost every picture seems to be of slim, young, flat tummies and leggy woman with the odd bloke (obviously fit and muscular) thrown in as a token. I can't find one picture of a 'normal' person like me, 32" waist x 29" inside leg! What do you do to ensure new profits, I suppose you try to move away from traditional wear and make it fashion wear. Reminds me of the so called move from petrol/diesal to electric cars. Out with the old, in with the new = new profits! Capitalism in action!

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 21:20:07, 05/10/17 »
I found an article I was looking for, its in The Great Outdoors on line. The leggings that look good, if you have the legs for it are made by Fjallraven.

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 22:09:55, 05/10/17 »

Very elegant, 40 years ago I might have saved up for a pair.
Not so sure I'd dare now, not so much the legs as the flabby bits......

Slogger

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 17:27:38, 07/10/17 »
I wear these sort of things all the time. Ok you bulge at bit (depending) down there, but so what, women bulge a bit (depending) up there.
https://www.montane.co.uk/mens-c1/cordillera-thermal-trail-tights-p158

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 20:04:03, 07/10/17 »
I've just been talking to my gran about the compression tights SHE wears (at 91 years of age).... seems we ARE talking at cross-purposes in some respects as she is strongly advised AGAINST wearing them when active  :-\

Mylo

« Reply #26 on: 19:37:57, 11/10/17 »
First post in reply here, but was reading an article recently on the wildtide blog regarding Fjallraven Abisko trekking tights.

I can't post the link but if you visit the above blog and click reviews then gear it's the 5th article down.

They look impressive.

Slogger

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 17:26:37, 13/10/17 »
Slightly off topic but regarding compression tights, the tights i think most are referring to are 'non' compression walking/running tights.
Many long distance (Ultra) runners and walkers wear compression calf guards, from ankle to knee.
Research however has shown that these are only off real benefit to power sports people, sprinters and jumpers in particular, and no benefit was shown for long distance foot sports

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 20:05:18, 14/10/17 »
I agree but you either have the legs for it or not, I am just not the right shape and size. I'm in Spain at the moment, if you are 16, petite, slimv tanned, with a 'boys bum' shape that's great, but if your 72 like me,  then after a lifetime of grappling with gravity it's not so good. I'll stick to the baggy trousers thank you.

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 14:49:58, 24/10/17 »
Walking in leggings were the norm for a while. I'm going back to when RonHills took over from breeches here.
Seeing as I wear leggings for running, I don't see any problem with wearing them for walking the same route. But then there's leggings and there's leggings. Good outdoors leggings (tough, quick-drying, warm) are great.
Walking routes visiting ancient sites in Britain's uplands: http://www.archaeoroutes.co.uk

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy