Author Topic: My Favourite Mountain  (Read 511 times)

Yomper

• Account Closed
My Favourite Mountain
« on: 08:33:25, 27/07/09 »
Buachaille Etive Mor

I lived down the bottom end of Glen Etive for a couple of years before moving to nearby Kinlochleven

I climbed the Mor many times but it is a nasty [censored] in winter  ::)

The Buachaille Etive Mor is a magnificent mountain of four distinct peaks standing at the head of Glen Etive and overlooking the north-west corner of Rannoch Moor. The best known view of the mountain is from the north and east, from where the great rocky cone of Stob Dearg is the outstanding feature of the mountain. Extending south-west from Stob Dearg, a 7-kilometre long ridge goes over two Tops, Stob na Doire and Stob Coire Altruim, and ends at Stob na Broige, another very steep and rocky peak overlooking lower Glen Etive.

The traverse of Stob Dearg and Stob na Broige may be made from the A82 road at Altnafeadh. Follow the path south past Lagangarbh cottage and up into Coire na Tulaich. The ascent goes up a rocky path on the west side of the stream in the corrie to the scree gully at its head, and a bit of scrambling is needed to reach the top of the gully. Turn east and go up the broad boulder-covered ridge to Stob Dearg.

Return to the head of Coire na Tulaich and continue south-west along the ridge of the Buachaille over Stob na Doire and Stob Coire Altruim to reach Stob na Broige. The best descent is back along the ridge past Stob Coire Altruim to the col beyond it, and from there down to the Lairig Gartain.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy